Nutrition newbie needs information on "chlorine"

SO, I ordered a box of 12 bottles of Soylent last week and it’s finally arrived! Now i get what people meant by neutral flavor. I actually enjoy it so far, but it’s taking me a bit ot drink the bottle simply because of how heavy it feels in my stomach (I’m already getting almost full!). I’m wanting to use soylent as most of my nutrition and eat normally on the weekends (saturday and sunday). I figure it’s almost guaranteed healthier than what I was eating before and now I will have infinitely better portion control. I weigh 260 pounds and have been wanting to lose weight so I’m hoping that this will help with that now that I can keep closer eye on what I’m eating.

My question though is (after looking at the nutrition content for the powder version) the “chlorine” is at 15% per meal. That only equals up to 60% for one day (four meals). Is it okay to only have 60% each day of that, or is it a mineral that we dont’ really need 100% of? Should i supplement my diet with something else to boost that bit?

I’m horrible with nutrition as my weight can attest to, so hopefully you all can help with this! I’m actually somewhat enjoying the flavor of the bottled version as well!

Chlorine is a chemical element, not a vitamin or mineral.
Think your talking about Chloride 15%?

Sodium and chloride (aka salt) have a minimum amount needed, which is what Soylent is aiming for, and a recommended daily intake which is what the FDA uses on its labels. The RDA is higher than the minimum.

I will give you a little bit of a heads up now. A sudden drop in sodium and a sudden jump in potassium (like on Soylent) may cause some headaches for a while till your body gets used to the change.

Thanks so much for the replies! Yeah, chlorine… I told ya I was new to this. I knew it sounded wierd when I typed it. No, I’m not wanting to drink from my pool any time soon. XD

Yeah, I figured my body’s gonna have to get used to the changes. I went vegetarian for about a year and a half a few years ago, and when I first started my bathroom moments were… frightening. After a while though everything went normal and the idea of eating meat repulsed me.

And if you do get headaches from the switch to Soylent, you can try mixing table salt into water and drinking that (or adding salt to your Soylent, whichever you prefer). Some people here were able to relieve their headaches by doing that.

@horsfield is right on target - the chloride in Soylent comes mostly from sodium chloride, a.k.a table salt.

They intentionally kept the salt at a minimum, because most people don’t go 100% Soylent… and nearly all of us, in the rest of our diets, get plenty of salt. (Most of us probably border on too much salt.) So it tends to balance out. Both sodium and chloride are fairly well-retained, and deficiencies are very rare, even on very low-salt diets, so not consuming enough every day is not really a concern, from that standpoint.

Also, just for the sake of clarity - chlorine and chloride are the same chemical element in different forms.

Chlorine is normally a gas - one which can burn things because it has a powerful tendency to steal electrons from other things. But once it has that electron, it becomes a chloride ion, and is no longer dangerously reactive.

Paired up with a sodium, which has a powerful tendency to give up an electron, you get sodium chloride, table salt. They’re a stable pair. When you dissolve salt in water, the sodium and chloride split up, but the chloride keeps the spare electron it got from the sodium, so the dissolved solution contains safe sodium ions (Na+) and safe chloride ions (Cl-).

(Fun note: if you did drop regular sodium into water… it would burn and explode. YouTube will provide evidence.)

Both sodium and chlorine ions are necessary for the body in a variety of different ways, and if you’re not 100% Soylent all week, you’ll probably get enough - but if you’re going 100% Soylent for days at a time, you may find it better to do as @horsfield suggests, and add some salt to lessen the swings. For some of us, eating a lot of salty, low-potassium food all weekend, followed by going 100% Soylent, can cause something that feels very much like a dehydration headache or hangover that lasts for a few hours.

If you are feeling full too fast slow your rate of consumption. Don’t chug. Drink like you would a milkshake over say 20-30 minutes. You will still feel full but not uncomfortable.

I live in Calif., near the ocean. Don’t I get some salt from the air? Just wondering, because I never add salt to Soylent and am 100% for long stretches (30 days today, for example) and I never feel head-achy or anything. I often run for a few miles daily, too.

Lol. Maybe the Breatharians were onto something.

It’s only a problem when you first start on Soylent after having crap food. Then you adjust to the higher potassium and lower salt in a day or two, and it doesn’t bother you again, until you go off Soylent and eat crap long enough to get low on potassium and to get over-loaded with sodium.

I haven’t noticed any salt issues with 1.6. It was definitely short with 1.5, but it seems fixed now.

Well assuming you can get any 1.6.