Nutrition Profile Confusion

Okay, a little backstory. I recently moved out on my own, and due primarily to my current income, my diet has suffered severely. I’ve been feeling pretty ruddy most days because I can’t afford to feed myself properly. What I can afford to eat is causing me to gain weight.

Then I found out about soylent. A product that would be affordable, healthy, AND quick!? What sorcery is this!? Lol, but the idea has me hooked. Even found the DIY soylent site and started looking at recipes. But here’s my problem. I’m 220 lbs, and my family physician say for my height and age, I should be 160 lbs. I want my food to be simple, and exactly what my body needs, no more, no less.

Here’s the TL/DR. Would it be safe to set my nutrition profile to 160lbs, and maintain my weight, or would it be better to set it to my current weight and steadily loose weight?

I would rather set one relatively unflavored recipe that I can easily flavor, and keep it unchanged rather than mess with weight management. On the other hand, I don’t want to endanger myself either. Any Ideas?

It is best to lose weight slowly in a controlled manner.

I took a look and created a 160lbs profile. It actually has a few more calories than the standard one, so I guess that actually answers my question. And it actually makes adjusting the recipes easier. so win win.

Age and height aren’t enough to determine how much you should weigh. If your doctor is citing BMI as a reference, you need to find a new doc. Seriously. The number of variables that go into “ideal weight” is staggering and height and age are only vaguely useful to determine this. Do you know your body fat percentage?

If your goal is weight loss, Mystify is dead on. Calorie deficit can work but it needs to be a moderate to small deficit and a controlled weight loss to keep from changing your metabolic rate drastically.

My experience of going from 280lbs with no muscle to speak of to 235 lbs with lots of muscle to about 250 with a fair bit of muscle and a little more squish than I’d like and the stuff I’ve learned along the way applies to me but may not apply to you… I’m happy to share if you’re curious.

TL;DR I’ve lost a lot of weight, gained a little weight, gained a lot of muscle, lost a little muscle and if your doctor uses BMI as basis for his/her opinion, get a new doctor.

Yeah, I’ve stopped going to this particular General Practitioner , as he seems incredibly bored all the time, is never seen to do any research, etc. I’ve had other GPs quote my bmi ideal weight before (160lbs) But I’m in the same boat as you. I’m 26, and in the 9th grade I was 250lbs with a 40 inch waist, and by the end of my senior year, I was still 250lbs, but had a 36" waist, thanks to a weight training class that I could take every year as an elective. My body was nice and firm everywhere except my stomach, but I was living with grandma in the south, soo… yeah, there’s no getting rid of the belly in that situation. But I’m on my own now. I managed to get down to 200lbs with just diet alone while I was living with mom. Now my food is high in calories and not much else, as all I can afford is fast food and Ramen, thus my interest in Soylent.

I don’t care if I get down to 160 or not, I still have 15 inch biceps, unflexed, and a 43 inch chest, measured under the chest. So I’m pretty sure that 180 is around where I really need to be, but I haven’t been under 200 since before middle school. I’ll take what I can get. lol

hahahaha sounds about right.
A scale is just a number :wink: If that’s the number you’re chasing, stick to low-glycemic carbs and stay away from them when you have the option. Soylent or something similar sounds pretty ideal for your situation. I just took a vacation to the South (SC, GA, and FL) and I’m impressed anybody there gets out of their car without a forklift. So much food and it’s all delicious. And sweet tea… om nom nom… Kudos to you for taking control :smiley: