Nutrition vs Weight Loss

Hi Everyone, I’m looking for a little knowledge and guidance. I’ll share a little history about myself first. I’ve struggled with weight issues my entire life, I’ve always been overweight and struggled to lose it no matter what I’ve tried. I’m definitely not morbidly obese but definitely obese especially according to the doctors. However, my Dr. and I have determined my situation is a little unique, as my weight actually stems from NOT eating and what little I do eat is unhealthy so my body holds onto all the food it can because it thinks I’m starving.

So over the last several years my concerns along with my Dr.'s concerns have been attempting to avoid the health risks that come from being overweight, diabetes, heart attack and I already experience chronic pain because (my bones can no longer withstand the pressure of my weight).

1. My biggest hurdles have been the following:
  2. Picky eater (also bored with my options)
  3. Not a big fan of cooking and the clean up
  4. Lack any real cooking knowledge (except the basics)
  5. Expense and waste of food
  6. Time Constraints (Work 60-70 hrs a week)
  7. Lack of Exercise (Due to Chronic Pain)

Recently, I was hospitalized for the 2nd time in 5 yrs for pancreatitis and I’ve been doing some research about it now and everything I’ve read seems to indicate that I need a High Carb, Low or No Fat diet. I’ve lost 12 lbs in 9 days (good or bad…not really sure)because I am currently only able to tolerate broth, jello, water and hard boiled eggs.

I am now feeling very overwhelmed by the urgency of figuring this out along with entire full blown lifestyle change that this could potentially create. So when I happen to find Soylent I was thinking this could possibly be the answer to a lot of my problems, since I hate cooking, am bored with my limited unhealthy choices, and the ease of grabbing a bottle as I’m running out the door.

So if anyone could possibly provide a little guidance with the following questions it would be really appreciated.

1. Will Soylent provide me with the nutrition I need to survive long term?
  2. Will I lose excess weight and still be healthy?
  3. Does Soylent taste bad? If so, any easy ideas to make it better?
  4. Which is better the pre-made bottles or the powder?
  5. Does Soylent affect muscle mass (as I’m already struggling with this)

Thank you in advance for your advice!

1. If you eat an appropriate amount of it, Soylent will provide you with adequate nutrition unless you have unusual needs.

2. You won’t necessarily lose excess weight. Soylent is not diet food.

3. Soylent tastes fine. If you like something that tastes horrible such as alcohol, you should be able to learn to like Soylent. The bottled stuff tastes particularly fine, but I prefer the cheaper powdered stuff.

4. The bottled stuff is better.

5. Intaking food affects muscle mass, last I heard. Soylent is food.

1. Provided you eat 2000 calories of it per day, yes.

2. Assuming you drink fewer calories than you burn, yes.

3. I think the bottle stuff tastes great but you may disagree. There are plenty of threads on here about adding flavors.

4. That is a matter of opinion and is up to you. They both have their own pros and cons.

5. Soylent isn’t designed for weight loss. Your protein requirements go up when you lose weight. Depending on your size and activity Soylent may not have enough protein.

I know you are not into cooking but I would suggest looking into a DIY recipe or a high protein competitor product.

That … does not sound right at all.

Excess carb will be stored as fat and will make you hungry more often.

Ideally you want a balance of good carbs, good fats, and good proteins.

Soylent provides a good balance.

That’s the main design goal so I would say: most likely yes.

If you keep a calorie deficit, probably yes.

The powder tastes weird at first but you will get used to it.

I tried mixing LorAn’s super strength flavoring oil (banana flavor) and had great results.

Powder is cheaper, easier to control calorie portions, but you have to prepare and cleanup.

Bottles are more expensive, but taste better (at first anyway) and don’t require preparation.

It has a lot of protein.

1: Yes. Soylent is basically a balanced meal in a bag, or bottle.
2: Probably, as many people do and it’s pretty filling. Though nothing stops you from over eating or changes the basic equation. Calories in - calories out = weigh change. Soylent is also pretty easy to measure so you know full well how much your getting.
3: No. It’s bland but not bad. There’s plenty of flavorings recipes out there.
4: Better for what? The majority, though certainly not all, think the bottle taste better. It’s also more convenient. Powder is better for the wallet and is easier to carry around.
5: Yes. Soylent is basically a balanced meal in a bag, or bottle. Though this probably more determined by exercise. But you’ll likely have more energy to do it.

Thank you all for the information and advice I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

That’s because you cut off the beginning of the sentence:

Chronic pancreatitis is easily aggravated by a high-fat diet; seekingchange is right to stay away from high-fat foods as they wean themselves off of broths and get back onto solid food… staying under 20 grams of fat per day is a common recommendation for chronic sufferers - especially in the time period after an episode.

That being said, I fear Soylent 2.0 (the pre-bottled version) is not a good choice, because it has a fairly high fat ratio (provides 105 g per day per 2,000 calories of Soylent.) Powdered Soylent 1.5 has a little less fat, but it’s still more fat than you should take while recovering (contains 92 grams of fat per 2,000 calories)

There might be a case for going with Soylent for 1/3 or 1/2 of your meals… do it consistently… and try to make better choices for you other meals. Perhaps using Soylent for one of your meals will take off some of the pressure to choose foods, reduce the cleanup burden, etc.

Chronic Pancreatitis is one of the conditions because of which I wish Soylent was still available in the old style, with the oil provided in the separate bottles - that way people with this need could adjust by holding back most of the oil, and perhaps adding a fish oil supplement to get their EFAs.

If it weren’t for this, Soylent might be a great alternative for you.

I see. My mistake.

High carbs still sounds wrong though, because carbs will be stored as fat, no?

Thank you very much for clarifying that was my concern that Soylent had too much fat for me to use it for ALL my meals. So in your opinion if I just start out using Soylent for maybe a third of my meals and try to keep any other meals either low fat or no fat I should be ok? I was really hoping to buy the 2.0 at least to start but it seems the 1.5 is better for me.

Forgive my ignorance here but understanding all these nutrition numbers is very overwhelming to me right now. So if one serving of Soylent 1.5 contains 92 grams of fat per 2,000 calories and because of the pancreatitis I am supposed to keep my fat under 20 grams how can I tolerate the 1.5 Soylent? I guess I need a little more education on the specific verbiage “contains 92 grams of fat per 2,000 calories” First of all I don’t know that I have ever eaten 2,000 calories per day. As I mentioned in my original post, I don’t eat very much at all so I would say my avg. calorie intake is probably 1,200 or less. However, it appears for my current height weight I should be eating approx. 1,750 per day to lose weight which is obviously one of my goals as well. How much fat should I have per day at 1,750 calories?

Since I have not tried Soylent yet is there a way to just make a one time purchase instead of purchasing a monthly subscription?

I’d prefer to try it before I commit to a monthly purchase and I have not seen an option to do so.

Thank you again for any further advice you can provide.

One thing that all soylents could probably do but I only see in keto soylents currently is the ability to vary calories without varying nutrition. For the keto soylents, this is because you add the oil (or other fat source) independent of the powder.

I’ve been doing 1200 cals/day with them, for instance. Muscle mass preservation was far better for my N=1 data point with keto ones, although I’m not sure if that’s applicable to others or not.

Intermittent fasting (only eating between noon and 8pm) and carbonated zero calorie drinks are the other keys for me personally.

Admittedly, the pancreatitis likely prevents adoption of a keto diet, so something with higher protein (Joylent, or adding protein powder to Soylent, or whatever) should help with muscle preservation if your doctor says it’s OK.

Longer version of my personal experience can be found on the handful of pages i stuck up last year @

Hello James

Thanks for the information. You indicated that I should probably add additional protein powder to Soylent how do I know how much to add and I’m understanding that I cannot reduce the fat at least in the Soylent. So how do I know how to adjust any of these type of products to work effectively for me?

Yeah, TBH I’m not sure whether that would really make a difference or not. The only thing that seemed to work for me personally was the switch to keto, unfortunately. The “more protein helps preserve muscle mass” data might have been relative to since base requirement that the target subjects were kept under, not sure.

The carbonation and intermittent fasting tips are still applicable regardless of food choice. In particular, intermittent fasting made going 100% soylent far easier for me. With your medical issues, I’m very hesitant to give any kind of specific advice without at least saying you should be checking with a/your doctor. :smile:

Thanks James,

I appreciate your response and I definitely understand your hesitancy to provide more specific advice. Honestly, I am only trying to educate myself a little more on the options that might be available to me so I can discuss with my doctor this week.

I really feel I might need to see a good nutritionist however I’ve had some difficulty in the past with them. They just see my weight and assume I am a just an overeater and need to reduce my calorie intake (which is not helpful). I am in no way an overeater but I do know that the meals I do eat are not healthy, which is what brought me to Soylent. I have no desire to flip my lifestyle inside out and start having to prepare multiple complex meals because I know I will not be able to sustain it.

I’m looking for something I can simply incorporate into my life because I know I can achieve much better long term results this way. Bottom line is I need something that can help me to lose some weight, provides me with the nutrition my body needs function properly, and that I can quickly and easily fit into my very busy lifestyle.

To maintain your weight you need 0.7g of protein per kg of body weight. During weight loss your protein needs can double. If you add enough protein powder to powdered Soylent to meet your needs you will need less Soylent to meet your calorie needs. Less Soylent means less fat for you.

I can do the math for you if you want. I could also design a DIY recipe for you that would take about 15-20 minutes per day to make an entire days worth of food.

A single serving of 1.5 contains 23g of fat and is 500 calories. There are 4 servings per bag. 4 * 23g = 92g of fat per 2000 calories.

I believe the answer is the same. Under 20g per day.

Yes. There is a checkbox under the number of bags selector.

Hello Horsfield,

Thank you I would appreciate any help you could provide. I would like to lose weight not maintain my weight but in a nutritionally balanced way that also won’t flare up my pancreatitis.

What would you need from me?

Depends which direction you want to go.

If you want a recipe I would need your height, weight, age, and activity level. You can PM me the info if you don’t want to say here in public.

If you just want to add a protein powder to a serving or bag of Soylent I would need your weight. Again PMed if you want.

I wouldn’t go that far… Like I said, "there might be a case for going with Soylent for… "

I’d consider it and discuss with your doctors. I don’t know if you have chronic pancreatitis, or just had two acute cases… And have no idea the cause. These facts make a big difference.

For example, you can get acute pancreatitis from a scorpion sting… After you recover, you probably don’t need to eat low-fat forever.

And even if you do have chronic… The 20 g per day recommendation may be based on “normal” food. If you’re consuming a liquid diet after recovering… Is it tolerated better in liquid form? Maybe you can tolerate Soylent. But maybe fats are even worse for you when they don’t come in as a solid or with solids, in which case, you may need to stay well below 20 g. Or maybe it makes no difference whether the fats are solid or not.

That being said, if you spoke with your doctors, and know what you have, and know what you want to do diet-wise, there are lots of great people here who will help you figure out how to get it done.

I wish you all the best, and wish I could provide better answers, but I can’t.

At the very least, Soylent will be healthier then what you where eating before.

Even if it’s not perfect.

Thank you MentalNomad,

As far as I know at this time it appears that these have been acute cases…with no real idea of the cause. However, this last flare is lasting longer than the one before so I’m concerned and thinking I should address it before it becomes chronic.

I appreciate all your help and advice.

Yes that is what I’m thinking too…thank you.