Nutrition vs Weight Loss

Thanks for thinking of me, but I have no interest in such nonsense.

Really? Nonsense?! I mean, this Kenneth Stoller might teach you a thing or two.

"In his years in Santa Fe, Dr. Kenneth Stoller didn’t shy away from publicly blaming vaccines for autism, condemning aspartame sweetener or writing a memoir of his 16-year-old deceased son he believed was communicating with him from the afterlife.

Now Stoller is accused of using an alternative medical treatment – hyperbaric oxygen therapy – and prescribing dangerous drugs to treat a child for medical conditions that didn’t exist."

Doctor accused of treating child who wasn’t sick.

That’s simply too sad to “like.”

Ok so here is the former Manager of Eli Lilly and Company admitting on stage that he made clinical trial data of side effects disappear, bribed the swedish government to make prozac legal for treating children, killed hundreds or thousands of people through his pharmaceuticals and urges every human being to stop the madness that he himself committed:

Side Effects: Death. Confessions of a Pharma-Insider

He speaks in English, though there is a German announcer and interpreter. Seriously, if this is non sense this world ends up being a bad place :frowning:

I think of you one more time, I take time and energy to offer this information to you, take it or leave it, but I went through the medical system myself looking for healing, and found it outside of it.

@MentalNomad @wezaleff @Ric

Just because the pharmaceutical industry has some awful people in (and I don’t think anyone would disagree with that), that doesn’t automatically mean that anything in the world of pharmaceuticals is inherently harmful or evil, or that alternative sources are correct.

You are absolutely correct and that was the exact conclusion of the video I posted, did you watch it?

Look at Metafolin (methylfolate) by Merck, amazing stuff by big pharma ! They were able to patent it so their business model aligns with the consumer interest. Absolutely cool.

The problem is a systemic one. If you have 200 doctors in a hospital, they can only administer the drugs that the purchasing director orders and stocks the cabinets with. So you need to only bribe one guy to make sure your drugs are being used throughout that specific ecosystem.

There are frickin’ amazing doctors, check out this one:

Please stop using terms like that. It just makes you sound crazy when you’re not.

I find it hard but not impossible to believe that one person working in a vacuum makes all the decisions about what drugs are used in a hospital.

Hospital Formularies are developed and maintained by a “Pharmacy and Therapeutics” committee made up of doctors, pharmacists, and often other professionals, including therapists and nurses. The P&T is not secretive, and is not “one person to bribe.” Hospital pharmacies will generally also stock drugs requested in particular by any resident doctors… The formulary is for the list of drugs that will be kept stocked and available regardless of anyone requesting it.

In the US, anyway. Not sure about other places.

Thanks for your balanced information based on your experience.

Did you have the chance to watch the talk by John Virapen or Stasha Gominak? I know its hard to find an hour to do it, but on a walk, commute etc it sometimes is possible. Both share their own experience, both blame themselves for failing their patients and society. And both found ways to help them now. If it’s systemic or not, it is definitely interesting to hear of others people’s life experiences … If you ever do watch them, I’d be happy to hear what you make of it.

Didn’t go through all the replies but I’ll just say a few things that are always worth repeating. :slight_smile:

[quote=“seekingchange, post:1, topic:25483”]
Hi Everyone, I’m looking for a little knowledge and guidance. I’ll share a little history about myself first. I’ve struggled with weight issues my entire life, I’ve always been overweight and struggled to lose it no matter what I’ve tried. I’m definitely not morbidly obese but definitely obese especially according to the doctors.
[/quote] Very sorry to hear this, and I can’t believe no doctor has been able to give you some good advice so far. And I don’t mean I don’t believe you, but rather that I find incredible that healthcare can be so bad in a Western country which I assume you live in.

However, my Dr. and I have determined my situation is a little unique, as my weight actually stems from NOT eating and what little I do eat is unhealthy so my body holds onto all the food it can because it thinks I’m starving.
[/quote] Most certainly not unique at all. :slight_smile:
Exactly the same happens to me and everyone else I know. “Starving mode” is definitely a thing in the human body, one of the most important survival strategies we’ve used in the millennia (but unfortunately more harmful than useful nowadays).

In general, as I’ve already had a chance to point out in these forums, the best strategies to lose weight effectively and permanently are:

• keep the glycemic index as low as possible,
  • avoid calorie-dense foods,
  • exercise everyday (mostly aerobic exercise such as running and swimming).

An optimal diet consists of whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, occasional animal products (preferably fish), and a wide variety of fresh whole seasonal fruits and vegetables. It’s important to choose fresh whole foods and not eat animal foods everyday. Such a diet will have the following beneficial effects on your body and health:

1. The association of whole grains and legumes provides a complete aminoacidic profile and lets you avoid animal foods which are much more calorie-dense and promote obesity (you may want to Google the E.P.I.C. study for more information about how a high protein intake is associated to obesity).
  2. Eating fresh whole foods will ensure the glycemic index stays below a certain threshold, therefore avoiding further development of insulin resistance. Most industrial refining processes cause foods to increase their glycemic index. Soylent is probably the only industrial food I’ve ever heard of with a known and controlled glycemic index. Otherwise just eat fresh whole foods.
  3. Avoiding animal foods and eating mostly plant foods will cause your diet to be far less calorie-dense, so you will no longer have to restrict the amount of food and put your body into starvation mode because you’ll be able to eat higher volumes of food and still keep the calorie count low enough to avoid the excess.
  4. “Fruits and veggies are good for you” because they’re full of antioxidants, other than being the best natural source of vitamins and minerals. :slight_smile: This will give you much more energy to do physical activity and will help you recover much faster after doing it.

Addressing your points specifically:

Picky eater (also bored with my options)
[/quote] Not sure what picky means here, but it’s probably a matter of habit. Many people I know or have heard of, no longer find junk food or animal foods so attractive when they switch to eating fresh whole plant foods regularly.

Not a big fan of cooking and the clean up
Lack any real cooking knowledge (except the basics)
[/quote] Maybe to achieve something you’ve never achieved you need to do something you’ve never done. :slight_smile:

Cooking is part of our nature as Homo Sapiens, we’ve been cooking since the discovery of fire. It’s our natural way to preprocess food in a way that makes it easier to digest when it enters our bowels. This is thought to have greatly favored the development of our brains, as our bodies could give it more energy because it needed less to digest food.

In today’s world you can get someone else to cook for you, but if it’s a business rather than a friend or relative they’ll need to do that on a large scale, so they’ll need industrial refinement processes to increase shelf-life and taste and the result will be utter shit. Stay away from that.

That said, I’d like to point out that there are probably a few lesser known recipes that can be both very healthy and very quick to make. Porridge takes literally 5 minutes in a microwave oven, so if the oats are good that satisfied both conditions.

Expense and waste of food
[/quote] Good news: fresh whole plant foods are generally much cheaper than animal foods and usually cheaper than industrial crap food. That’ll help. :slight_smile:

Time Constraints (Work 60-70 hrs a week)
[/quote] This is very sad: I think this alone explains at least part of your problems. I don’t know what you do for a living, but if you could find a way to get that down to 40 hours a week I believe everything would be a little easier.

Lack of Exercise (Due to Chronic Pain)
[/quote] I believe the diet I described would greatly help you to change this.

[…] and everything I’ve read seems to indicate that I need a High Carb, Low or No Fat diet.
[/quote] Incidentally, the directions I’ve given above make this trivial to achieve. :slight_smile:

Will Soylent provide me with the nutrition I need to survive long term?
[/quote] Nobody can answer this, but the answer could likely be “no”. This is indeed the ultimate goal of Soylent, but the way it is trying to achieve this is by implementing state-of-the-art science, which unfortunately is thought to be highly insufficient in some areas today. One proof of that is the lack of phytonutrients in Soylent (not because they are known to be unnecessary, but because it is unknown whether they are necessary or not).

Does Soylent affect muscle mass (as I’m already struggling with this)
[/quote] From my personal experience, the best thing in the world you can do to your muscles is to keep the glycemic index low: the constant and prolonged flow of energy after doing physical activity will greatly help recovery and growth. This is only anecdotal, though. I go to the gym more or less regularly in the afternoon and I often eat chickpeas (together with other stuff) in my dinners because I know they have an incredibly low glycemic index together with all the proteins a legume can provide. I could tell how effective I’ve found this to be, but it would be too anecdotal / bro science. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps.

I’ve seen you post this a couple of times on this forum (especially in a thread regarding the ketogenic diet), and I have some queries about it. Firstly, it’s not really applicable to ketogenic diets, as they are by definition not high protein, but simply adequate levels.

More importantly though, and something you may be able to shed some light on, is the following. Obesity is a classification on the BMI scale when a person has a BMI of 30 or higher. One of the main issues with BMI is that it doesn’t take into account body composition, so bodybuilders are often defined as obese - or even morbidly obese - using this scale. Bearing in mind the prevalence of high protein intake amongst those seeking to increase muscle size, did the researchers in the study account for this when determining that a high protein intake is associated with obesity? Because if not, this could somewhat call into question the conclusions reached by the study.

Ok, I’m gonna have to disagree here. The person in question asked if she’ll be able to survive - not thrive - long-term. The answer to that is a resounding and pretty undeniable yes. Soylent doesn’t really use much state-of-the-art science at this basic level - it uses clearly understood requirements in terms of micronutrient intake determined both by studies over many decades and feeding of medical products to comatosed patients. We know very well what is needed to survive. You are correct that phytonutrients, along with potentially higher micronutrient intake, would be ideal for optimal health, but that isn’t the question presented here.

I think we know a lot less about weight loss than we think we do. In my opinion, failure at long term weight loss is very normal.

I think that one of the best though impractical weight loss tips is to move to a country that is very different from your own. When I moved to Russia, I found that most of the “trigger foods” that I couldn’t resist were simply unavailable, so didn’t present a problem.

Even when I eventually discovered that I could order jalapeño pizza I was still ok!

The second best thing from changing countries is changing diets. Soylent is a good try because it is radically different than what we often call “muggle food.” As long as you can stay away from whatever you can’t resist, you should be safe from most compulsions.