Oat flour:Maltodextrin Ratio

Has anyone adjusted their Oat Flour:Maltodextrin ratio in favor of oat flour without changing many other variables of the Schmoylent recipe and found it palatable? I’m going to be experimenting soon and wanted to see if anyone else out there has found reducing maltodextrin not that big of a deal. The ‘crash’ from maltodextrin is too much for me unfortunately.

(oat flower)

woops :blush: … fixed

I just ran a quick test of 1/3rd of 250g oat/110g vanilla rice protein/50g maltodextrin. It’s not as sweet and I definitely like it.

We use Dextrose instead of Maltodextrin and get more fresh taste, try to play.

But if we go deeper…
I’m also interested in optimum in short/medium/long carbs ratio and asked a Dietitian about that:
http://discourse.powderedfoods.com/t/benefits-and-lacks-of-different-types-of-carb-sources-for-digestion/224

Yeah so after I made my adjustments it turned out that the manganese was SUPER high. I poked around and nobody seemed to think this would be a problem but by day two my mental acuity was DRASTICALLY different. Concentration, creativity, and all-around brain “oomph” was totally GONE. I quit that batch of soylent for 2 days and problems subsided. I created a new batch with Masa and no oats whatsoever and symptoms continued to be gone.

Thankfully I didn’t have to waste a whole batch - I was able to sell it to a friend of mine for material costs because he only planned on drinking it 1/meal a day (in which case manganese wouldn’t be too bad of a thing).

I’m going to try to get more oats into this next batch (I do batches weekly) but it will probably be something like 20% oats 20%maltodextrin 60% Masa.

Maybe I’m just a lot more sensitive to manganese than most people? IDK but I’m not f*kin around with it again in the future.

I just did a total makeover on my diy and eliminated Maltodextrin altogether. I now use rolled oats and oat flour in a 2 to 1 ratio. The carb crash was killing me also. I just tried it for the first time about an hour ago, and I’m waiting to see how my body reacts to this new mix.

One interesting secondary effect of using Maltodextrin we noticed that it makes food “warm”.
We found it when compared our regular 100%FOOD (Dextrose & Rice Flour) and Low Sugar version (Maltodextrin & Rice Flour). Both had the same room temperature, but regular had fresh taste, while maltodextrin had a taste of warm milk. So now I understand why Soylent you need to drink chilled.

Regarding manganese… it comes not only from oats, but from rice flour as well. But it has rather high daily maximum - 11 g so you will hardly overdose it.

Did you give up Soylent in favor of your DIY, or are you just tinkering while mainly on Soylent?

Forgive me if you’ve already covered it, but last I recall you were happily in Soylentland.

Don’t worry about the manganese levels. My understanding is that the limit exists when using manganese supplements – it doesn’t apply to natural sources of manganese.

In cases where you have liver or kidney ailments, it is definitely advisable to consult your doctor about any nutrients going over the UL, even though nobody has ever been recorded as getting sick from something. You don’t want to be the exception to the rule. :smile:

Neat discussion!

I haven’t tried maltodextrin yet, so I’ll stay tuned on that.

Starting from People-Chow, I’ve tried 100% masa harina and was having crash problems and headaches. Currently I’m at 70/30 oat flour to masa (keeping the rest of the recipe the same) and I’ve found that to be a fine blend in terms of taste (good enough), texture, and glycemic index.

Adding some fiber (Chia & Flax) went a long way toward solidifyin’ my poops and stretching out the calories to virtually eliminate the crash. What’re the benefits you’ve seen in using maltodextrin?

Oops – looks like i edited one of my earlier responses instead of actually replying. Here goes:

Yeah so after I made my adjustments it turned out that the manganese was SUPER high. I poked around and nobody seemed to think this would be a problem but by day two my mental acuity was DRASTICALLY different. Concentration, creativity, and all-around brain “oomph” was totally GONE. I quit that batch of soylent for 2 days and problems subsided. I created a new batch with Masa and no oats whatsoever and symptoms continued to be gone.

Thankfully I didn’t have to waste a whole batch - I was able to sell it to a friend of mine for material costs because he only planned on drinking it 1/meal a day (in which case manganese wouldn’t be too bad of a thing).

I’m going to try to get more oats into this next batch (I do batches weekly) but it will probably be something like 20% oats 20%maltodextrin 60% Masa.

Maybe I’m just a lot more sensitive to manganese than most people? IDK but I’m not f*kin around with it again in the future.

@BriBy, are you sticking with DIY instead of official Soylent?

I have to for now. I didn’t realize my body couldn’t tolerate the insoluble fiber. I need a fiber like psyllium that is mostly soluble. Hopefully, Rosa makes a version that I can tolerate in the future.

Do you think the added enzymes will make a difference for you?

Psyllium husk is cheap and easy to add yourself. I added it for the first week or two.