Oats in (a) Soylent official and (b) DIY soylent recipes

Hi friends!

A newbie here, from Asia. You have an amazing community here, hands down. Super-glad to be here.

I am experimenting ab initio (from the beginning) with the Soylent and DIY soylent recipes at my home. A major conceptual stumbling block I am faced with is this:

I understand that the OATS that go into the Soylent official and DIY soylent recipes are in a RAW FORM, i.e. in the form of a POWDER (oat flour) that is NOT further heat treated or soaked in water or processed in any form.

(From what I could gather, this oat flour comes from pulverizing (grinding to fine bits) a form of oats called ROLLED OATS. This “rolled oats” is slightly heated (cooked) during the rolling process.)

Now, could you pls clarify the following:

1. Is the exact oat flour that goes into (a) the Soylent Official recipe, and (b) DIY soylent recipes simply this RAW (i.e. not further heat treated) pulverized rolled oats powder (flour)?

2. Is the oat flour that is DIRECTLY used in the recipes heat-treated or water-soaked by you at your end? (Let us disregard the heat treatment that is part of the processing of rolled oats, which is what oat flour is made up of.)

3. Is there any special variety of oat flour available in Australia, Europe & North America that is FURTHER ROASTED / TOASTED (i.e further heat-treated IN ADDITION to the heat treatment that the oats receive during processing at the rolled oats stage) before selling in the market? Did any of you use it in your recipes? What is your verdict?

4. Is the oat flour that is obtained by pulverizing rolled oats the same as the oat flour obtained by pulverizing (a) instant oats, and (b) quick cooking oats?

5. Did you try drinking raw oat flour mixed with water (a) immediately after mixing, and (b) after keeping the oat and water drink mix overnight? What was your experience?

These questions may seem inane or utterly fundamental to some of you and I apologize in advance. I can only say I am very new to this oats thing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I don’t know anything about oat, but I know I usually let Soylent rest for in least a hour to cool and taste better.

I think the ingredient spreadsheet says “oat flour.” That’s about all I know, sorry.

No worries, a lot of modern foods are totally crazy :smile:

I know there’s been some oat discussion on here — I’m a bit of a dummy about food stuff, so I’m not sure if it’ll be useful to you, but just in case:

1. (a) I don’t know but I think that it’s doubtful that Rosa Labs is heat-treating the oat flour that they use in Soylent.

2. (b) I’m sure that few, if any, are heat-treating the oat flour that they use in DIY soylent.

3. Buhler Group heat treats flour for the industry. Nestle heat treats the flour that they use in their raw dough products. However, I don’t know of any retail-pack heat-treated oat flour. It’s unlikely that you’ll find any for several reasons:
    a. Flour manufacturers rely on the consumer to provide the automatic kill step of baking to eliminate salmonella and e. coli O157:H7.
    b. Heat treatment of flours is relatively expensive.
    c. The workability and functionality of flours is adversely effected by heat treatment.

4. Yes.

5. I’ve never had the pleasure.

It is my opinion the “engineered” grain products are superior to raw flours in soylent formulations. Isolates can be used for protein and starches for both carbohydrate and fiber (in the form of resistant starch).

The links @pauldwaite posted have some excellent discussion, though I haven’t completely read through them all yet.

@koolananda

Some flours are difficult to digest raw, others not as much. Oats tend to be quite agreeable. Bodybuilders have been throwing them raw into their smoothies for decades. That’s not to say there couldn’t be an as yet undetected issue (or an issue that has been falsely attributed to something other than the raw oats) or that some people’s systems could be more or less sensitive than others.

I tend to agree that soaking your Soylent should be sufficient to address any digestibility issues.

However, if you are concerned, the best forms of flour/grain nutritionally and in terms of digestibility are sprouted and/or gelatinized.

Gelatinized is a process of pre-soaking & heating. Sprouted is, well, pre-soaking in water until they sprout, which alters nutritional value – most agree for the better, but it is not without dispute – and makes them more easily digestible.

I’ve seen sprouted oats but not gelatinized, probably due to processing which makes that unnecessary/redundant. As I understand… Oat grouts are whole oats with the husk removed, which are roasted. Steel cut oats aka Irish oats are split & simmered oat groats. Rolled oats aka old-fashioned oats are steel cut oats which are further cut & steamed. Quick oats & instant oats are simply thinner rolled oats, which might be steamed longer. Oat flour can be made from any form of oats. I’m not clear which is most commonly used/available. Probably rolled oats as they produce a finer powder, whereas steel cut oats produce a coarser powder (I think). Or just because rolled oats are cheaper, have a higher demand.

Gelatinized or sprouted grains will be more expensive, of course. (Therefore, probably not in those forms in Soylent given the price.) You can sprout or gelatinize your own grains, but given you’re interested in Soylent (read: convenience is priority), that’s probably not going to happen. Certainly I couldn’t be bothered with it. :smile:

So to your questions, my educated guess is (but I’m not a Soylent rep nor nutritionist)…

(1) Correct
(2) Doubtful
(3) Gelatinized or sprouted would be closest to what you’re looking for.
(4) Rolled, quick & instant oats just vary in thinness. Once powdered into flour, that distinction is irrelevant. Oat flour is probably from rolled oats.
(5) I’ve tried consuming immediately, as well as soaking overnight. No difference in experience, other than more time in the fridge makes it colder & therefore more enjoyable.

@koolananda

Here is another discussion that may be of interest to you, about phytic acid in raw flours/grains such as oats, and the impact of soaking vs heating or both, and the possible benefits of sprouted options.

I believe there are many such discussions if you search the forum for “phytic acid”.

I have always enjoyed eating a handful of oats. It’s probably one of the few healthy things that is in my normal diet.