Official FAQ Feedback

Hello Soylent community! I am Conor, Soylent’s new community manager, and today I would like to start things off with getting some input on a change we made to our FAQ section.

Transparency is a key tenet of the Soylent philosophy. We are expanding our FAQ pages in response to a many Customer Care inquiries we have received requesting more in-depth answers about the science behind Soylent.

We are launching this new endeavor by releasing three new FAQ sections: Carbohydrates, Protein, and Lipids.

What we are looking for from the community is feedback on readability, utility, and any additional research that you would like to see. Please post your thoughts so we can see where we need to improve and expand.

This is an ongoing process, which is why your input is very important to us.

Thanks, and we look forward to your feedback!

I’m going to remain suspicious of you as long as you aren’t on here: http://www.rosalabs.com/team/

What did you do to @JulioMiles?

I can assure you I am real :smile:

As for what I did to @JulioMiles, it’s a mystery.

I would like to see a page or two on the micronutrients. A while back there was a big hoopla about the magnesium used in Soylent. Now there is discussion on the potassium source being used and the apparent disappearance of phosphorus.

That’s just what a CM who wasn’t real would say. Time will tell, but in the meantime, welcome.

We are extremely happy to have @Conor as part of the Soylent / Rosa Labs team. He will be working to improve the flow of information between the Soylent team and the discourse community, and we look forward to making the discourse an even richer source of information and place of discussion in the upcoming months.

The “About Soylent” section is very long; could it be broken up in some way to make it easier for us to find things we might be looking for? Also, why Isn’t maltodextrin on the Corbohydrates page?

One more suggestion I have would be that when Soylent has a different amount of something than is generally recommended (for instance, it is currently very high in fat), it might be a good idea to include RL’s reason(s) for the difference somewhere on the FAQ.

One thing that would be awesome at some point once the recipe version is stable would be a complete breakdown of what is in Soylent on an elemental level. Here I am talking about, not just talking about the essential stuff… but everything else, such as trace elements (essential or not). Regardless of how small the amount is, then it could say 0.0001 ug or something ;), Reasons for this would for an example be that you could dispute claims such as it containing too much uranium, lead, arsenic and other “bad stuff” or not enough Bromine heh

To begin with, it could simply include the colored elements on this page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_element#Essential_chemical_elements_for_mammals .

Until that day.

Perhaps go into depth on individual vitamins and minerals, talking about the recommended amounts, why it is that amount… what happens if you get too much or not enough. and how much is enough or not enough. While on that exact subject, it would be good to include the “exact” amount in Soylent instead of a % daily value.

I for one would like to see a list of community managers, what their “shift” is, and if they have a specific role what that role is.

Right now I’m the only community manager, we are scaling up our community involvement.

I can assure you we are always looking at discourse. This is a pretty fantastic group of people (Discourse) who care about our product and that means a lot to everyone here.

I have another FAQ for you. Talk a little about international shipping. (I am personally from Denmark). I imagine with the new 50x increased production, it is within reach for us internationals

I second @Tordenskjold’s motion! As a Canadian, Soylent feels infuriatingly JUST out of reach. I’m stuck with people’s cast-off leftovers (currently drinking some 1.0 from someone who lost interest), since I can’t afford a re-shipper, nor do I have the time to cross the border every month.

PLEASE give us some updates on Rosa’s plans to go international! I’M BEGGING YOU!

We are planning to move to get Soylent to Canada :smile: Our goal is to ensure we can get the delivery time to a more reasonable level. We are catching up with the demand as outlined in the 1.4 Blog post.

We do appreciate the enthusiasm for Soylent and really want to get it into more markets!

Hi @Conor, welcome to the community and I think having an expanded FAQ section is a great idea. I am also a big fan of many of the changes that seem to have been made with 1.4 and I am thinking of giving up my DIY to try the official stuff again.

Concerning Lipids: You go into depth explaining the chemistry of the different molecules, but you never mention the actual ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 in Soylent. At least some people are concerned about having to much omega 6 and want the ratio of 3:6 to be somewhere between 1:1 and 1:4. I would like to know what ratio Soylent is running and what is the opinion of the medical team on this issue.

Other questions that might have more relevance than all the chemistry include: is the oil heat processed with hexane or cold expeller pressed? Is your oil source organic or non-gmo? How much EPA and DHA are in the algae oil?

I realize these are all somewhat “fringe internet” type worries that probably only bother a small subset of your customers, but are you honestly claiming that you get more emails from customers wanting to know which bond in the chain is a double bond to make it an omega 3 fatty acid?

What exactly is your criteria for Frequently Asked Questions?
The whole language analogy in the Protein section could probably be cut without losing anything valuable and that space used to explain why Soylent chose the protein sources it did compared to other possibilities like whey.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Also in your conclusion of the carbohydrate section it looked like you were saying you could charge an Iphone 6366 times rather than an Iphone 6 over 366 times. The placement of the comma is ambiguous and the math seemed wrong until I realized I was having a punctuation problem instead. :smile:

I’m sure it is exactly this kind of feedback that makes you love your job as community manager.

“If you convert 2000 kcal to watt hours, you get 2,324 watt hours[16][17]. According to one source, an iPhone 6 has a 6.91 watt hour battery. Thus, a pouch of Soylent contains the equivalent raw energy needed to charge an iPhone 6,336 times.”

@Conor more info on why the fat ratio was raised. And since the fiber is reduced how does that balance things out. Thanks.

Denmark/Scandinavia is a lot like Canada, :wink:

I shall now atttempt to remain patient :relaxed: :relieved: :pensive: :disappointed: :persevere: :cry:

We hope you can, its great to see so many people the world over wanting to try Soylent :smile:

That is high on our list, many people are curious. We want to alleviate any worries about the fat change.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

We appreciate the in-depth feedback, we really value it. We want to be as transparent as possible with the changes. So strong feed back allows us to know what information to focus on.

Even the ‘Fringe’ questions are important to us :smile:

As far as criteria go, we are working on making them as extensive as possible. Given that this is a substance people are consuming we want them to feel safe. But more importantly we want people to be actively engaged in what they are putting into their body. We are writing many more FAQ articles, and will be working on a more effective method of displaying them.

Thank You