Official Soylent costs in the UK

I have to say, I absolutely love the idea of soylent and really want it to make it to the UK soon so I can give it a try. I do however have a slight worry. One of the main selling points Rob keeps pitching is how cheap it is compared to normal food. Are grocery costs really so extortionate over in America? The current cost of $65 (converted to £40 over here) for a weeks supply is very troubling, as I currently feed a family of 3 on a similar amount to that per week (including nappies and wipes, which are ridiculously expensive).

Before I get you all riled up, trying to stress how much of a super food soylent is, I understand that this is much more nutritious than what I am currently eating, otherwise I wouldn’t be interested, but my weekly shop is not full of awful, processed foods. For that money I buy enough fruit, veg, grains, dairy and meat to keep my little family happy. If my partner and I were to try out soylent (I’m not going to give it to my toddler, sorry) it would cost us £80 a week on top of the normal food I would still have to buy.

I really want to give this a go, so does anyone have any idea of if the cost will be reduced for the UK market to reflect the lower cost of living over here, or will people like myself be priced out of the chance to give it a chance?

I think to some degree, the price is expected to drop across the board once Rosa Labs is an established enough place that they can even out a stable business plan and begin to take full advantage of mass-production pricing. It’s been stated that the actual consumer price is still a ways above the potential production price, because of startup costs, determining product demand, etc.

Soylent prices will probably decrease because the economy of scale will make costs cheaper with time. But even the present price is quite cheap, especially if you account the time you use to prepare food, shopping, washing dishes, and also the kitchen size cost (especially if you pay rent), gas, electricity, soap, water etc…

For example, the minimum wage in UK is £6.31/hour, so if spend 30 minutes to cook a meal, that’s a £3.00 minimum economy per meal for drinking Soylent instead of eating normal food. Your wage is probably higher than this, so you’ll be saving even more, just make sure your using this time in a productive way like working or studying to improve your skills that you use in your trade.

Fair point about current costs having to cover start up costs. But with regards to demand, it appears in the US everyone is sold on how much cheaper it is than buying in normal food, meaning demand is likely to be high, but would that then lead to a perception that the price is in a good place and cause it to stay where it is? My worry is that people outside the US will be priced out of the market and miss out on a great product.

With regards to the time/costs issue. I work set hours, for minimum wage in retail. Time spent cooking is outside of work, therefore time saved isn’t time spent earning. Not everyone interested in this product is in a flexitime job or self employed, looking to save vital minutes while they work on some important project. We just really like the advertised idea of a food that gives us everything we need, in an easy to make form and at low cost.

I’m hopeful Rob will stick to his plan of making it a commodity on tap, meaning the costs will surely drop. I’m just worried other interests will guide it in a monetised direction and I’ll never get to try it without tripling my food bill.

If you hadn’t noticed, I’m a worrier :wink:

I’m totally with you on this. I’m self employed, so while on decent-paying contracts, I earn over min wage, during the lean months, I’m earning min wage or lower. So I hope too, that Soylent will be more affordable in the UK.

I’ve just done a pre-soylent trial run, lasting about 15 days, trying to substitute my meals with USN Diet Fuel Ultralean shake - 3 per day. I bought a 2KG tub which just about stretches to 15 days worth for £31.99. That seems a good price.

That doesn’t work out… According to this, a 55g serving provides 10% of your RDI – so 550g is a day’s serving, and 2kg is roughly 4 days’ worth, assuming 100% RDI…

Stretching is possible of course, but using it over 15 days cuts you to something around 25% of your RDI. Be really careful with this stuff – most other “meal replacement” powders don’t intend that you replace every meal, so one “serving” is NOT a third of your entire RDI.

It sounds like you were able to make it work alright, but this is a dangerous thing to suggest.

Edit: To clarify, yes you can survive on 500cal/day. But that doesn’t make it healthy. You’re basically literally starving your body, and almost certainly not getting enough of various nutrients.

I agree the ~£40 is a lot. I spend £15-£25 a week at the supermarket (so not just food). I would want Soylent to be £1 a meal or less (£21 a week) - even if you had to buy a month worth at a time.

Side note: I wonder if the team have considered shipping a container full by sea and using fulfilment by amazon as a way to distribute econmically throughout the EU?

Watching with interest…

I am based in the UK and really want to get my hands on soylent. I plan a radical lifestyle change and it would be very handy, if not life-saving at times perhaps for what I plan on doing.

It really needs to be as cheap as possible though. I can get fresh veg and meat for 15-25 pounds a week for myself, so Soylent needs to ideally be 1 pound per meal or less if possible.

Please make this available to the Uk as soon as you possibly can as I am in need of the product now really.

Although i’m currently on a more expensive custom Soylent for my fitness goals, I did some calculations a while back to see how much I could bring the price down to suit the needs of an average person, and the resultant price was between £3-£3.50 a day. Although I need to check over my figures again, I can share with you the sources if you want ^_^.

That’s a reasonable cost, pretty close to current spending, would be tempted. But how does making your own soylent compare to cooking, in terms of time spent mixing, weighing etc? A main draw for Soylent for me is the ease of use, as well as the nutritional benefits.

For one meal it normally takes me around 5 minutes to weigh stuff into a cup, take out my pills and shake it up. You could however just prepare a batch for the day with containers so you only have to prepare it once, and spend less time preparing.

Their business plan is to produce the Soylent themselves with their own plant and at scale. This will mean they can cut out a middleman, thereby increasing margin and possibly lowering the price.

They charge customers $9.30 per day to produce the product and ship it to you. I think their initial gross margin is around 50%, which I think is fair. People on diy.soylent.me make good soylent for ~$6/day. Soylent Corp can make theirs more cheaply because, even though they use a contract manufacturer, they have economies of scale working for them that the diy.soylent.me folks don’t. But on the other hand, they have to ship the product to you, which cuts a bit into their margin. I think it works out to about 50% gross margin. You can build a successful business on 50% gross margin.