Official Soylent Shipping/Fulfillment Thread [updated 8/8]

They have pretty much said that their company policy is to not answer any questions about shipping times or the size or progress of the shipping queue. So it will be interesting to see what the are willing to say.

(For what it’s worth, I still think they will start shipping new orders before they finish with original backer orders.)

Wait, what? Where did you get that information? The top post said:

Sounds like they just asked around - nothing about “clinical trials”

Business risks? No. Pertaining to their obligations to backers? Yeah, they pretty much should. We’re asking for shipping info for stuff we’ve already ordered and paid for, in some cases over a year ago. I really don’t think an ETA at the very least is asking for all that much.

Not balance sheets and meeting minutes.

Shoutout to James in Rosa’s CS department for getting my roomie’s shipment taken care of (5 weeks, first day backer. ordered the +1 after cut off but kindly consolidated!), and for reassuring me my reorder should be OTW this week. What a boss. =)

Here’s a link to a thread where there were questions about a clinical trial starting in June, not much came of the thread, but if the clinical trial went ahead that could be one on many pieces of information that backers neither have nor are entitled to (until final results are published). If people really read that post to mean “We stopped shipping for a bit because Bill was tooting more than normal” I think that is an inaccurate interpretation of what was posted. They had to freeze shipping temporarily due to business risks, which they can’t discuss in detail, that is pretty reasonable.

Now shipping has resumed and we’ll get another updated by next Tuesday in accordance with FTC regulations. I agree with you that some form of ETA needs to be issued, although your I very much doubt (and again, don’t believe the public is entitled to) the level of detail that you have requested.

By law, you must have a reasonable basis for stating that a product can be shipped within a certain time. If your advertising doesn’t clearly and prominently state the shipment period, you must have a reasonable basis for believing that you can ship within 30 days.

If you can’t ship within the promised time (or within 30 days if you made no promise), you must notify the customer of the delay, provide a revised shipment date and explain his right to cancel and get a full and prompt refund.

Are you sensitive to artificial sweeteners like Splenda? I know some people get headaches from sucralose.

I’m not talking about legal obligations, here. I’m talking about what should be done based on the standpoint of “These people got our company off the ground, contribuing twice as much as the VCs, the least we could do is tell them when to expect their product”.

…but now that you mention it, the way that is worded, the lack of an ETA (indeed, RL’s explicit refusal to provide one):

…would seem to place them in violation of that law. Hmm.

I’m going to research this a bit more.

I backed the 1mo (4 wk) reward all the way back in Jun of 2013, and just received my email notification today.

Looking forward to improved quality nutrition at a moment’s notice, hoping the minor amounts of flavoring aren’t excessive to me.

The low sodium in Soylent also contributes to dehydration. The body needs sodium to retain water. Actually, “hyponatremic” is more precisely correct than “dehydrated” in this case, but the net effects are similar: headaches, fatigue, etc.

I hate to say this, but it is becoming increasingly obvious that the reason they are not giving shipping updates is because they simply cannot. They have completely mismanaged the shipping process and I suspect, are at this point, doing some sort of manual process. I’m betting it went down close to this. 1) Backerkit sucks and couldn’t process payments/shipping like they needed them to (how this would be a problem I don’t know). 2) They switched to another processing system that also did not mesh well with the way they wanted to ship. 3) They did not manage to merge the two sets of data and are now having to manual pick/pull orders.

Obviously this is pure speculation, but I cannot freaking imagine how the hell a company can be so shit poor at shipping a product (new or not). I mean, there have been so many shipping errors (and only the ones reported on this forum mind you), lost orders, wrong orders (vanclute’s non-vegan shipments) I can’t even fathom. I honestly don’t think they could do any worse if they had monkeys shipping this shit.

Let’s think about this logically. They are printing a shipping label and putting it on a box with 1,2,3,4 or more weeks of their product. This is not fucking rocket science. I could screw this up less and ship more by manually writing out every label myself.

What’s worse, is that they haven’t brought anyone in to fix it. I’m not even going to start on about the customer service issue, which in my mind is a worse disaster. But also equally easy to fix.

The only other possible alternative is that their supply is so limited, that by sharing shipping information it would make it obvious that was the problem.

TL;DR - They can’t provide those shipping numbers because their system sucks or they don’t want to expose their godawful supply rate.

Background: I don’t have a big dog in this fight, because I was not one of the original backers. I do have a post-crowdfunding order in, which I definitely would like to have filled in a reasonable time frame.

In the latest update, they said that when they suspended shipping, they did not have a solution to the problem. Can you imagine the rampant speculation it would have caused if they had announced that they were suspending shipments because of a problem that some people were having with Soylent, and they would get back with us later once they had figured it out? People would be posting that their third cousin heard from his hairdresser that one sip of Soylent was causing people’s heads to explode. Then the rumors of the company’s imminent demise would have started. Gossip like this can take on a life of its own, and taint a company’s reputation for years.

I suspect that they did the only smart thing, as painful as it was for those awaiting their shipments, and news of their shipments.

-Mike

Yeah, a 2-3 week delay really sucks… but imagine a 2-3 week delay not knowing when the delay would end, or if the company is completely tanking, or whether they’ll have to reformulate and start shipping again in six months…

The last time I can see that they gave any shipping estimates was on 4/16, where they said:

Week 1: 1+ month orders
Week 2: 1 month
Week 3: 1 month
Week 4: 1-3 weeks
Week 5+: 1 week

Then on 4/23 they took that back and said:

We are holding off on providing shipping estimates until our shipping is ramped up.

Okay two things:

1. Where in the hell did those optimistic shipping estimates come from? Did someone misplace a decimal point?
  2. The 4/23 update constitutes an indefinite delay, which, according to the FTC rules requires the customer’s written, electronic or verbal consent to the delay. If no consent is given, then a prompt refund must be given automatically.

They didn’t link to it from the blog post or the email.

http://blog.soylent.me/post/92183684822/soylent-1-0-update

Those who made it this far came looking.

Will people stop bringing up the FTC? It just makes you look petulant. Those rules are there to prevent customers from being defrauded. If you truly believe you are being swindled, attempt to get your money back. They’ve been providing refunds to those who can’t take the wait.

Not that I’m aware of, but I don’t use splenda regularly enough to know.

They aren’t violating the law because they are readily offering refunds. Feel free to take your refund and run.

@JulioMiles I received my Soylent tracking information last night, but have yet to receive my Backerkit tracking information. I just wanted to check in with you, to make sure I received that, along with the additional bottle I ordered by the time my Soylent arrives.

As always, I very much appreciate everything you guys have been doing. Thank you very much for all your help, Julio. I’ll look forward to hearing back about the bottles and scoop.

I actually like that GIF.

Sorry, back to your scheduled programming…

From what I read, (not a lawyer, etc etc), providing refunds isn’t the issue. (RL gets kudos for being forthright at least on that front).

Indefinite delays with a refusal to provide a time frame is. Furthermore, the way the page @Gambit linked to reads, consent for this kind of delay must be affirmatively gathered.

I.e. “We’re delaying because (no reason given), if you say nothing we’re still keeping your order and money” isn’t okay.

I’m going to give it another couple week or so and see if there are any further updates, and go from there. There have been some really good posts in the past week or so, and I want to see if RL will address them.