Official Weight Loss Thread

From today’s Science Digest:

“Avoiding continuous dieting may be the key to losing weight and keeping the kilos off, the latest research shows. Researchers showed in a randomized controlled trial, that taking a two-week break during dieting may improve weight loss.”

They dieted for 60 days, with one group taking a two week break every two weeks, the other group continuously dieting for 60 days. When the group went off the diet they went back to a weight maintenance diet; they didn’t go hog wild. It appears that the change in amount of food intake gave them an advantage.

Not only did the diet break group lose more weight, they kept the weight off better after the 60 day period ended, according to the study.

Of course, studies like this should be taken with a grain of salt, but it was interesting.

I am in the same boat trying to break the 170’s

Ride it out. A couple weeks later and I’m down to 187. I had a three week plateau then lost 2lbs each the next two weeks.

I’ve actually seen something about this before. There’s a calculator out there somewhere that helps you estimate your caloric intake given how much weight you’d like to lose in a week, but in addition to that it has an option to check to fluctuate the daily calorie limit. It had a name but I don’t remember what it was, something something zigzag. And I’ve heard on other forums that cheat days once a week are supposed to help as well. I usually end up overeating unintentionally once every week or two, so unless I’m doing something specific like going to party I don’t give myself cheat days or fluctuations. It just happens naturally for me.

So, you probably want to make sure you are paying attention to clothes size or BF% instead of just pounds.
I have been stuck around 250 for about a month now but I am wearing a pants size smaller.
Could be due to muscle mass gain since I am working out 3 days a week.

Point is, pounds is only a secondary target. Body composition is more important.

Agreed. Pounds don’t matter quite as much, but for most people they are a good indicator of what’s going on. Since everyone knows muscle weighs more than fat you might not lose much weight or every quickly becuase you’re gaining muscle mass. For me, I’m just dieting not gaining muscle but I still have a backup to compare to if I ever hit a wall there. I mainly look at pounds for my weight loss but I also take progress pictures and measurements every 10 weeks. Each 10 weeks so far (on week 31 now) I have lost slightly less weight than the time before but I have lost more inches and my progress pictures are more notably better. I’m now down 40#'s and counting!

for me the best indicator is body fat %… you can look completely different at same weight and height if body fat is different. or at least that’s my opinion… whatever the case, thanks a lot for some methods that i have read here through your posts. i appreciate it a lot. do you people mind if i am going to have some other questions for you as i can see that you know these things much better than me. I’m struggling with weight loss for a really long time, and since today i searched for answers on , i really hope you can help here! thanks!

So it’s been about 2 months since I updated. Just wanted to gloat that I am down 46.6 lbs now. I’m still drinking 1-2 Soylent drinks a day, with 1-2 small meals making up anywhere from 1100-1300 calories a day. My husband has switched from 1.8 to 2.0 as well for the ease of use. Gotta love this stuff.

Anyone else notice that Chai doesn’t seem as filling as Original?

It’s progress picture/measurements week for me so I thought I’d chime in with an update. As of this morning I’m an even 52 lbs down. Same routine as before. I found it difficult for a couple weeks to keep up with as I was off work and spent a lot of time snacking, but I’m back on track and luckily still on schedule.

I can’t add new info, but I don’t think MJ is a diet drug. It famously makes people hungry.

So with all the holiday’s past I’ve been having trouble getting back on the bandwagon with dieting. I’ve still been having 2 bottles of Soylent drink on work days but I feel the need to eat as soon as I get home, and then I get peckish again before bed. Eating fast food with friends hasn’t helped either. It’s been hard to track my calorie intake.

Start weight 222.2, Lowest weight 166.8, Current weight 171.6, Goal weight 110 (might adjust later).

As you can see I gained a couple of pounds back, which isn’t such a great feeling when I have been -trying- to actively diet. So starting as of yesterday I’m going to try a one month stint on 100% Soylent. So three bottles, or 1200 calories a day. I might drink 4 bottles if I feel hungry or if I’m doing a lot of exercise on day. That should be plenty to sustain me and get me to a healthy rate of loss. I’m excited to try a 100% Soylent diet, and I’m excited to see the results.

I’ll post an update also.

I started trying to lose weight in April '17, when I was 162/163 lbs. By mid-July I was down to 149. I dropped another couple pounds, then decided to hold steady for a while; I managed to keep my weight in the high-140’s, but I’ve decided to start losing again and am now down to 145. Target is probably about 140, then I’ll hold steady for a while more before deciding whether to keep losing or not. I’m having Soylent for breakfast and lunch and a moderate dinner. I exercise a lot, and am watching carefully for any signs of strength loss. If I see that happen, I’ll stop losing right away, since my goal is to get the best strength/weight ratio I can to improve my rock climbing.

One thing I notice is that when I’m losing weight, everything tastes so much better. :slight_smile: Plain Soylent, which is usually kind of blah, is wonderful and creamy for me right now!

I’m 7days in on 100% Soylent 2.0 cacao. Down 7lbs and I’m feeling great so far.