Official Weight Loss Thread

You should be fine with 3-4 bottles a day, if you’d like to add a multivitamin to the mix it shouldn’t hurt, just check your brand to be sure it’s not excessive in anything. It’s good to note that Soylent does have more of some nutrients than you’d expect, labeling requirements are to be able to test the mix at the end of its shelf life and show the label has at least as much as claimed; so for those nutrients which degrade within a year they will have more than the label claims.

One thing the multi won’t help with is electrolytes, so you’re on the right track to add salt, but should also consider supplementing potassium.

You could also take part of a multivitamin if you’re worried about taking the whole thing, or only take a multivitamin every X days instead of every day.

I dont think you need to supplement your Soylent with a multi-vitamin or D3.

He’s talking about being on a pretty restricted Soylent diet, with from 25-40% less than the usual intake on many days, thus 60-75% of his micros on those days. So a supplement every few days wouldn’t hurt.

Male, 35, 6’3", 230lbs., 22% body fat (according to bathroom scale).
The goal is 18% body fat. How to achieve with Soylent?

Maybe it’s not possible with diet alone. I currently take 2min cold showers daily. Will try to supplement that with 32oz ice water daily.

First note that Soylent is not a “weight loss product.” It is a food, so basically you need to eat the right number of calories (with or without Soylent.)

Using a BMR calculator and your stats you should burn 2213 calories a day at rest, so if you drank 5 bottles of Soylent 2.0 per day you’d (very slowly) lose weight.

Now here’s the rub, if you don’t exercise your body will make up the calorie deficit using both fat AND muscle so you might not hit the body fat percentage you’re looking for. So you’re probably going to want to hit the gym, lift some weights and add a protein supplement to your diet. (Could replace one Soylent meal with a high protein meal like Chicken for instance, or do what some people here do and add a protein powder to their Soylent.)

Also 32oz water isn’t enough, I think. The normal recommendation is 8 glasses of water which would be 64oz. That said I’ve heard the number questioned… but basically drinking more water is never a bad thing.

Now, all that said… why the cold showers? (I have an idea of one thing I heard, but you seem to be relating it to drinking water…)

I believe that’s completely unsourced.

My first day of Soylent! I lost about 45 pounds about 3 years ago partially by using another meal replacement option (Myoplex) for breakfasts and some lunches, and would like to lose another 20-30 to get to goal. I’ve been watching the progress of Soylent, and with the release of 2.0 I decided to pull the trigger. I currently supplement Magnesium and B-complex for a medical condition, and probably won’t change that unless my body dictates otherwise. I may add a multivitamin to the mix just to fill in any blanks. My strategy, based on a daily burn rate that bounces around between 2200 and 2600 calories a day, and balancing efficiency with my need to remain somewhat social:

1. 1600-ish calories a day, 6 days a week. That’s 4 shakes, 3 shakes and a small meal (i.e a home cooked dinner, typically lean meat/fish and veggies), or 2 shakes and a large meal (i.e. lunch or dinner out with/my husband).
  2. If eating alone, drink a shake.
  3. If going out with colleagues or husband, eat something that is at least 1/2 vegetables and 1/4 protein, and stop when full.
  4. If you have a craving that lasts for more than 2 hours, eat THAT ITEM ONLY but stop when full.
  5. On Saturday (“treat day”), eat whatever appeals but stop when full. If you’re hungry but can’t think of something treat worthy to eat for a given meal, drink a shake.

I just polished off my first shake (got a trial box of 12 to see if I can stomach it), and while it’s definitely less sweet than my old shake, it’s sitting at least as well in my stomach as the myoplex. I may use a little splenda or coffee creamer to add a touch of sweetness while my palate adjusts, but I’m just taking it straight today to see if that will really be a problem. I don;t have a sweet tooth by nature, so this may actually be pretty ideal I’m also curious to see what will come of a pretty radical drop in sodium, I tend to hold on to water at the drop of a hat due to that aforementioned medical condition, so my first week or so may be a pretty precipitous drop. We shall see!

Well, I wouldn’t say completely unsourced:

“Back in 1945 the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council stated that adults should take in about 2.5 liters of water per day”

Although ironically I found that in an article debunking the 8 glasses a day thing (Like I said it’s been questioned.) http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

That said, in this article it recommends a liter which is still a little more than 32oz although it sounds like Soylent should largely cover that.

So all that said, I’m going to go back to “drinking more water is never a bad thing.” :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not sure there’s much evidence for that recommendation as an actual source for the 8 glasses thing.

I subscribe to the somewhat radical idea of drinking when I am thirsty. I’m not dead yet!

No, not as an actual “source” if you’re just being pedantic. It is, still, pretty widely recommended though and the USDA actually recommends 3.7 Liters of total water intake daily.

So let’s see, Soylent 2.0 is 2 Liters of fluid if you drink 2,000 calories so you’d still need to drink 1.7 Liters of water to match the USDA recommendation. That’s 7.18 glasses, or just over 56oz.

So like I said, more water. :smile:

When you say pedantic, do you mean using the word “source“ to mean “source”? If so, guilty as charged!

What, the 8 glasses a day thing? By who?

Sure, I’m not arguing with that.

You are warm-blooded, meaning your body is programmed to (try to) keep itself at a certain temperature.
When you take a cold shower or expose yourself to cold, your body will “waste” or consume energy to (try to) keep itself at the right temperature. It can be dangerous if it’s too cold because of a risk of hypothermia.

Ice water is the same. When you drink ice water, energy is wasted to heat that water up to body temperature, and then you excrete it. Unlike cold showers, this one is pretty safe.

Stop and get warm if you start shivering. That’s your body telling you it’s cold enough already.

You can compute the energy. If your water is 0C and your body is 37C, then drinking 1L of ice water equals negative 37 calories. 1L = 1000g. (37-0) * 1000 = 37,000 cal or 37 kcal (that it takes to heat the water to body temperature).

No, I mean using the word “source” to mean “origin” rather than “citation.”

Lots of people. Oddly all I can find are articles discounting that, or fitness/diet experts saying you need more (seemingly misunderstanding the USDA recommendation to mean actually drink 3.7 liters.) BUT all the articles reference the 8-glasses a day thing.

I could probably track things down if I spent more time on it, but I’m betting you’ve heard it before so I’ll just go with “whoever recommended it to you.”

But who does better commercials, Myoplex or Soylent?

just drink till your pee is clear, should be a good indication youre having enough water

I think clear is too much water. I saw an infographic about it so it must be right.

edit:
http://healthhub.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/13-HHB-1407-The-Color-of-Pee-Infographic_FNL-finalnm.jpg

that one

One fewer thing for me to worry about, thanks Skull.

I think I follow that. Would your body actually expend that much extra energy after you drank the water though? Or would the water likely get heated with energy that’s already present?