Oil Chemistry Conversions

Hoping this thread is one where people can share their knowledge of the oils they have researched, and how they convert to the recommended amounts of DHA and EPA.

Here are what I think are the recommended amounts we are supposed to get:
.77g DHA
1.15 g EPA
48g unsaturated fat

How are we supposed to figure out how much DHA and EPA are in the oils of our choice? I see ALA and LA measured in grams on my oil, but not sure how to derive the other numbers of DHA and EPA to get the proper serving. I see others just using 3.25 g of Canola oil, does this have the proper ratios of DHA and EPA or is that lacking one or both of them?

My preferred oil to use is Udo 3-6-9 oil, which comes with 6G ALA and 3G LA per Tablespoon. But it’s a blend of many different kind of oils so not sure how to do the conversion.

I’m pretty sure that if I take around 4Tbsp of this oil per day I should be fine since it was carefully blended to have the right ratios, but sure would like to know the actual numbers for comparison.

I’d love to know this as well. Currently I’m just using basic canola oil, but that doesn’t actually have 100% of what is recommended. If I can reasonably get the full 100% in some convenient form without going with animal products, I would like to do so.

Canola Oil Breakdown:
Omega 3: 9-11%
Omega 6:19-21%
Omega 9: 0%

Flaxseed Oil:
Omega3: 56-71%
Omega6: 12-18%
Omega9: 10-22%

Numbers taken from a table on Wikipedia:

My oil is a flaxseed oil base but balanced out with other oils to get a 2-1-1 ratio of Omega 3-6-9.

I believe the body’s conversion rate of Omega3 to EPA is 15% and 5% for DHA. And this is where I get stuck.

Yeah, I suspect that’s why they’ve stuck with fish oil for their oil blend because it’s the only solution that makes economical sense for their target EPA/DHA levels.

As I’m just about out of the small bottle of canola oil I bought at the start of this, I really need to get something that will give all the desired nutrients. I’m looking on Amazon at flaxseed oil but there are of course a jillion of them.

Can any of the more math/science-inclined around here, help to get an answer to the original question of figuring out the right amounts of DHA & EPA and possibly even recommend a specific oil? Would be a tremendous help to yours truly and I suspect at least a few others! =)

@Vanclute I’m perfectly satisfied that Udo 3-6-9 formulation is as close to perfect as anyone can get in terms of ratio’s of the 3 major omega’s and it’s 100% produced with organic oils and cold press etc, all the things required to prevent oil damage.

My issue is really the quantity of oil I’ll need to consume to hit Soylent’s recommend targets since the label doesn’t list DHA and EPA. In the absence of anyone coming up with an answer, I’ll just take the Omega3 gram content and divide by .15% to come up with how many grams I will need. I think Udo (PHD expert in oil and biochemistry) recommends 3-5 tablespoons per day depending on body weight. The scientist in me wants to know precisely though the EPA and DHA as this oil is expensive, and don’t wan’t to overdo it if it’s not required.

When I get some more time I’ll do a bit of research and math to calculate how much I think Udo oil is required to get the EPA and DHA levels.

BTW, I read the entire book Udu Erasmus wrote on Oil and made me a fan, this guy is not a whack, he’s a PHD in biochemistry specializing in oils use in the body and this book comes out of his PHD thesis, but updated since then. I never have looked at fat or oils the same since. I read this book back when the fad was Fat was bad, and then I realized how seriously dangerous that message was.

Ah ok I didn’t realize that Udo was a brand. Works for me… but like you I would prefer to know the exact right amount to use as I always appreciate stretching every dollar to its max. =)

Canola oil contains the following fatty acids:

omega 9: oleic acid 63%, gondoic acid 1.9%
omega 6: Linoleic acid (LA) 20%
omega 3: α-Linolenic acid (ALA) 8.6%
% of total fatty acids.

It also contains some saturated fatty acids (6%). So if your omega 3-6-9 contains EPA/DHA, then it would be a good addition, to canola oil, but if contains fatty acids like oleic acid, LA, ALA, then you are only adding fatty acids you already get plenty of if you use canola oil.

What is wrong with canola oil ? Flax seed oil doesn’t contain DHA or EPA. Flax seed oil only contains oils that are already plenty in canola oil, so I see absolutely no need to add flax seed oil. Do you want a product that is vegan @vanclute ?

I don’t actually care about “vegan” as in the politically-correct-food-movement, but I’m not adding anything of a dead animal to my Soylent. I’m just trying to sort the DHA/EPA stuff. I still don’t personally really believe it’s all that critical, but if I can… then why not.

I don’t believe it is that critical either. Your body is able to produce DHA/EPA from the omega-3’s in canola oil. Soylent is very high in omega-3 compared with an average diet. Many vegans don’t have DHA/EPA in their diet and do fine.

If you want to see if DHA/EPA does something good to you, I would just google “EPA DHA fish oil” and see if you can get a product that contains around .77g DHA and 1.15 g EPA per tablet …

Yeah I’m not taking fish oil in any form, but appreciate the suggestion. I may just not worry about it at all… if a product falls in my lap that meets the criteria and I’m willing to add it to Soylent, then sure what the heck. But I certainly won’t be losing any sleep over it.

You don’t take fish oil., hmm… I’m not sure if is there any other good source of EPA/DHA. Maybe some algae or something, never seen it though.

edit: haha oh wait, it exists ! http://opti3omega.com/

Yeah there is definitely algae-base solutions, but when we looked into supplements for it, the quantity required to hit Soylent’s targets were huge. At this point I’d kinda rather just get something to replace the canola oil and be done with it. Going to try the oil that @NoFlames mentioned and see how that goes.

I would ping @QuidNYC on the discussion of oils. He has done a bunch of research some of which you can find on the notes section of his recipes. I am using a bastardized version of his Ongoing Keto.

I know he recommends a combination of Olive and MCT oils which is also what I am using.

If you want specifics and maths involved he might be willing to help if you ask nicely.

@Vanclute I see you tried the oil, and didn’t like the flavor. For reference did you use the same amount 3.25 tbsp.? If you don’t mind, could you try a lesser amount in another batch and see if there is a point at which the flavor is good? One experiment would be to add 1 tbsp at a time until you start noticing it to be something unpalatable. Udo oil is much more potent than Canola in terms of DHA/EPA standpoint, so technically you would need less of it than to get the same impact as the canola Oil you are currently consuming.

I’ve read lot’s of reviews where 1tbsp/day was working, but the recommendation on the instructions is 1 tbsp./day per 50 pounds. I’m thinking that somewhere less than 3 is probably ok.

Anyway, glad you could try it and report your experience and save you disappointment had you purchased it. I’m going to give the Soylent Fish Oil blend a try when it arrives, and do some comparisons. I’m thinking that Fish oil wouldn’t be as good flavor wise as either plain canola or Udo blend.

Ah shoot, I just assumed I would need the same amount and made up 2 batches since it divided exactly equally at 3.25 Tbls each. I could maybe take my remaining batch (nearly full) and mix up a second without oil, and combine them… essentially end up with 2 batches each with half the 3.25 amount of oil.

Would that be useful? I’m happy to give it a try if so!

If it’s not too much trouble, I would say it’s an interesting test. It’s strictly coincidence that it worked out to exactly 3.25 x 2 since I just eyeballed it in a hurry, no measuring involved! LOL

But not big deal if you don’t. I will be trying different amounts when I get mine, but knowing in advance what others think is interesting.

Oh and I wonder if Udo is more prone to separating since it seems to be much more dense than canola which seems watery by comparison. When I mix Udo with tomato juice, it rises to the top pretty fast.

OK done! We will now have two data points to compare:

1. 1 pouch Soylent, 3.25 Tbls. Udo Oil, fill pitcher with water to green ring.
  2. 1 pouch Soylent, approx. 1.62 Tbls Udo oil, fill pitcher with water to green ring.

I’ll let you know what I think of the difference after it’s had a couple hours to chill & soak!

Alrighty, results are in. Cutting the oil amount in half resulted in pretty much what I expected - half the intensity of the flavor of the oil.

It’s definitely still there, and it’s a flavor I personally just don’t especially dig. It’s not awful by any means, but for me it’s taken Soylent from something I love to drink, to something I can drink. But I can definitely see that it will be a matter of personal preference, some will probably love the extra bit of flavor it imparts, but it’s just not a big winner for me.

My other half didn’t make any mention of it at all, and may not even have really noticed (though I did tell her I was using the Udo oil in our next Soylent batch, so she was at least peripherally aware). If she did notice, it certainly hasn’t done anything to put her off Soylent in the least. So yeah, not a bad flavor, just a flavor that doesn’t really float my particular boat.

Appreciate you letting me try some though for sure! Let me know when I can return your cool little glass container. :smile: