Just a thread to make note of something that might be important for those using home made soylent for weight loss. It is also very obvious, but has potentially caught me out at least
You have to be extremely careful measuring out ‘tablespoons’ of oil. Having had a couple of weeks with less than satisfactory weight loss, I decided to re-check my measurements.
A UK tablespoon is (supposedly) 17ml (US is 15). To measure how much mine actually were I originally measured out 20 tablespoons of water into a measuring jug and eyeballed the results to estimate an ‘average real world tbsp’. Consequently I came to the conclusion the ‘tablespoon’ I was actually using was ‘around’ 11ml.
Tonight I did some testing on variability of measurement, and realised the actual (completely full without spilling a tiny drop’ measure was indeed 15ml. I have been fairly lax being precise (in fact it is quite hard to be precise using the measuring spoon I was using) but running these numbers (11ml and 15ml) through my database, on my high carb recipe this is a variability of minimum 1837 kcals per day, maximum 2232 kcals. It could conceivably be even greater than this as I was on occasion pouring very quickly and sometimes going over the edges (lazy).
Given the subconscious nature when dieting to accidentally put a little extra in, you could easily be consuming hundreds of extra calories per week. A few of drips of oil each time will add up, and you won’t notice.
Lesson learned, I am going to be using a deeper, narrower measuring spoon, call it 15ml and try to be ultra precise.
Yeh I feel kinda stupid for posting this, but worth double checking your measures esp if low carb