Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids - Again... How much is too much

So in my recipe I have ~15g of Omega 3 and ~30g of Omega 6, Is this too much? The reason that I have so much Omega 3 is that my main fiber source(Flaxseed Meal) quite a bit in it. I picked an oil to balance the Omega 3’s with Omega 6’s.

Basically is the amount of Omega 3 and 6 too large.

The ratio is fine, but I’m not sure about the amount. I would say it’s on the high side, but I would think people on ketogenic diets would have much more than that?

There’s a lot of conflicting research, haha!

Yea I noticed the conflicting research… This ratio that amount bla bla bla…

I just went through my spreadsheet this weekend, adjusted numbers, etc. Flaxseed and egg will get me to a ratio of about 1.5x more O3 than O6, which is unlikely to be harmful. I’m using coconut oil and olive oil (and soy lecithin for the choline) as primary sources of lipids, since I want the MCTs as part of my long-term fuels. That’s about 6 grams of O3, about 4 grams of O6, and 120 grams of other lipids. I don’t think that amount of polyunsaturated oils will be a problem - if anything it’s too small a percentage of the whole.

Looking at your numbers: I would reduce the O6 to closer to parity with the O3. How much other lipid are you getting?

It’s only the ratio that matters, there are only a certain number of receptors and n-3’s and n-6’s compete to activate them. It’s about the ratio, not the amount, since the number of receptors limits your body’s ability to respond to higher levels.

So I’m researching omega 3/6’s and found some interesting info that I thought I’d dump here. I’ve got a ton of tabs open, and have found info all over so I’ll just supply the basics and if you’re interested you’ll have to do your own research.

Omega 6’s are necessary, obviously…but there are different forms. Most of the oils that I’m seeing people using to get their 6’s in range provide LA - linoleic acid. Apparently, one of the reasons why these oils have been considered no good for us isn’t JUST the high amounts of 6’s in our diets, but also the fact that there are conversion issues from LA to GLA - gamma linoleic acid - which is considered anti-inflammatory and appears to have health benefits. There are apparently many different lifestyle and health issues that can interfere with that conversion, including the other types of oil in vegetable oils.

The truth is most of us don’t properly utilize linoleic acid. There are a number of dietary and lifestyle factors inhibiting the conversion of linoleic acid to GLA: sugar consumption, smoking, alcohol, chemical carcinogens, aging and illnesses (viral infections, cancer, diabetes, hypothyroidism, cardiovascular disease, cholesterol, and hormonal fluctuations).
In addition, there are major metabolic roadblocks which get in the way of the conversion. The main culprits are the “bad” fats: trans-fatty acids from margarine, vegetable shortening and commercially processed vegetable oils.
These are biologically inferior fats, totally incapable of being converted into the powerful GLA. Instead, they actually hinder the very catalyst needed for the GLA transformation, a special enzyme called D6D (Delta-6-Desaturase) and its vital co-workers-vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin B3, zinc and magnesium.

So, for many, going straight for the GLA may be more beneficial than looking at vegetable oils for your omega 6’s. Borage oil is said to have the largest amount of GLA. I haven’t concluded my research yet, so I don’t know how much GLA is required daily. g/day of recommended 6’s are pretty high (as opposed to 3’s). I found one recommendation of 12g, but that’s for LA and I’m not sure if those recommendations have taken into account poor conversion of LA to GLA or not. (I’d be interested if anyone comes across that information) When I find it, I’ll post whatever source is cheapest/has the most GLA if anyone’s interested.

Yeah but look at the language they use.
Is this a first-hand source? It really doesn’t sound like it.

“utilize”, “metabolic roadblocks”, “culprits”, “hinder” and “biologically inferior” are not medical terms.

It sounds a bit devoid of actual information on the metabolic processes involved.
Do you have any better sources?

Definitely not a first hand source. It was just a good explanation of the info that I had come across. Here is an actual journal article that talks about it more in depth.

Cool thank you. Character minimum.

“utilize” - no comment
"metabolic roadblock" - rate limiting step of metabolism, possibly inhibited, possibly with competing nutrients
"culprits" - substances responsible
"hinder" - inhibit
"biologically inferior" - not optimal form (in terms of other metabolites / availability)

Maybe I am just very stupid, and I admittedly am not very knowledgeable in biochemistry, but to me the use of that exciting language sounds great :grinning:

Now if only we had you at the start to translate every questionable article.