Omega-3 fatty acids?

From what I can see most of these recipes have no Omega-3’s in them. Is there a reason for this? A quick search of pubmed or google scholar speaks to the benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids. Is there any disadvantage to adding in fish oil supplementation?

The oils we use contain a mix of fatty acids, and almost all of them contain enough of the Omega-3 ones.
The only thing to worry about is the ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 ones in your diet - if that is to high, it increases the risk of (all kinds of) inflammations. 5:1 is good, and it should not be higher than 10:1 - though opinions on this do of course vary.

If you select the right oils, there is simply no need for fish oil supplementation. Though of course it can’t hurt.

Ben, that is not quite right. While the ratio is important, the types of Omega-3 Fatty acids are as important, if not more so. Plant sourced Omega-3’s are typically alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). ALA has not been shown to have the beneficial effects that eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) have been shown to have with regards to cardiovascular health. DHA is an essential fatty acid for our bodies, it is used by our nervous system, especially in our eyes. It is made by shorter chain fatty acids in our bodies, however it is poorly converted (women convert it better than men due to requirements from women’s role in reproduction). Because if its poor conversion, availability of EPA and especially DHA in our diets is essential for optimal growth and health.

Seems so :slight_smile: - http://www.dhaomega3.org/Overview/Conversion-Efficiency-of-ALA-to-DHA-in-Humans gives the rundown on a few studies. Conversion in men seems 1)Low, 2)Varied per individual, 3)High 06 seems to limit conversion (there was also a study somewhere indicating it wasn’t even the ratio, just the amounts of LA and ALA)

The ratio still may be important for inflammation, but it does seem conversion to DHA might be too flaky to trust and some supplementation is def a good idea.

In the original Rob’s Soylent formula, Omega -3 Fatty Acids is set at 750mg. I bought Seven Seas Pure Cod Liver Oil which contains 525mg of Pure Code Liver Oil, having 120mg of Omega-3 nutrients, of which 85mg are EPA and DHA.

My question is… when Rob said “750mg” did he mean the total weight of his oil or else Omega-3 part only?

If the latter, I am under-supplementing…

Hey Chris, I don’t know exactly what Rob meant but I would assume that at 750mg you’d be going for Omega-3’s dependent on the type of oil you’re using as your fat source. Also, be mindful of the Vitamin A and D content of the Cod Liver Oil if you’re already getting enough from somewhere else.

I mentioned this is another post, but a number of different countries do recommend getting specific amounts of long chain omega-3 (LC n-3) fatty acids (EPA, DHA and don’t forget DPA [Docosapentaenoic acid]).

Briefly, The European Commission recommends for Europeans 200mg of LC n-3 (EPA + DHA) per day. The Australian Ministry of Health recommends for Aussies and New Zealanders 610mg/430mg LC n-3 (DHA+EPA+DPA) for men/women, with an Upper Limit of 3000mg per day. And the Japan Society for Lipid Nutrition recommends for Japanese people about 1 g/day of LC n-3 (EPA + DHA) per day. The American Heart Association also recommends getting two servings of fish a week.