Open Source?---

Is Solvent open source?

Yes, basically. There is a diy section even on the site

I’ve sort of been thinking about this myself. RL says their recipe is open source but I can’t seem to find an official recipe for big “S” Soylent. The DIY site has lots of small “s” soylent recipes.

Closest thing I could find is a breakdown of the ingredients. I haven’t added up all the numbers, but I hope that it includes all the ingredients.

Lipids
Carbohydrates
Protein

One of the problems with making Soylent truly open source (i.e., make it at home in your kitchen) is that industrial food production uses ingredients that are not available retail. You can approximate but that’s about it.

One the other hand, it would be fun to see the ingredients listed in grams. I could see some DIY people trying to find approximations.

Eve

Hey @Conor, how about putting together a recipe on diy.soylent.me that matches 1.4?

Yea I’ve seen those and attempted to make a generic DIY version. No the numbers didn’t add up.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/soylentesque

Funny coincidence, I wondered this same question just a couple days ago. I’m working on a list of open companies, and wanted to include Rosa Labs in it, but couldn’t find any page actually saying that Soylent is open source or that it’s developed with a focus on transparency and openness to distributed development (e.g. the encouragement of forks and DYI).

I hope this thread helps such an explicit declaration to surface :slight_smile:

Rosa Labs has been quite open, but not to the point where they fit a reasonable definition of open source, yet.

In the beginning @Rob was open with his recipe, he shared the original version and updated on changes he was making through his blog. They stopped sharing any of the recipe changes long ago, so it is no longer open source.

:stuck_out_tongue: I would call that pretty open souce heh

We will post a more detailed list. We want to share!

That’s better than I’ve seen from them for a while. Hopefully they’ll go back to the original vision and publish the complete recipe.

That’s a start, but it leaves out a lot of important information. If you tried to replicate Soylent using those descriptions you’d end up with something quite different. For example, “High Oleic Sunflower Oil Powder” is a very generic term. Oil powders have wildly varying nutritional content.

Well yeah :stuck_out_tongue: and it doesn’t include the custom vitamin/mineral blend that you can’t just pick up in the stores. But I would argue, that with the majority of the raw materials being public with amounts, the “source” is “open” :slight_smile:

But like Conor said, they will post more details

As I mentioned before in my earlier post on this thread those numbers don’t appear to be accurate. Also they don’t provide the nutritional info for each ingredient.

Sure, some things like “Potassium Gluconate” are raw, but many of the ingredients are very much not raw. “High Oleic Sunflower Oil” is a combination of a carrier (like maltodextrin) and the oil (unspecified fatty acid contents). “Rice Protein” contains an unknown percentage of proteins and other stuff.

It’s about as open source as a .h file without the .c content. Rough idea of the content but incomplete.

This took longer then expected and for that my apologies. I have added all the 1.4 open source material to our FAQ section. https://faq.soylent.com/hc/en-us/articles/204466079-1-4-Formula-

Enjoy!

That really is thorough. Thanks Conor. It’s sort of along the lines of what I expected. A thorough list of what goes into the process but not something I (or rather someone more talented) could replicate in their kitchen shopping at the stores.

Eve

@Conor, would it make sense to add an extra page in the about soylent collection, focusing on the openness and transparency aspect (the science-like approach, really) that’s been implicitly informing the spirit of the Soylent project since the beginning, but never (AFAIK) expressed explicitly in a permanent page?

See for example the pages linked here. My goal is to add Rosa Labs to that list :slight_smile: