Optimal oil types and ratios

I’m still in the process of tweaking my recipe.

Originally I was using only Hemp oil, because it has a good ratio of Omega 3 and 6. But upon reading more I learned that it doesn’t have as much DHA/EPA as fish oil, and Flaxseed oil has other good properties that I might be missing. So now I’m experimenting with a combination of all 3, Hemp (1 tbsp), Flaxseed (1 tbsp), and Fish oil (2 tsp).

But I have no idea if this a good idea. Is there is a better combination of oils that would considered optimal?

Sounds like a good combo, but we’d have to see the recipe to make a better analysis of it. Is it on diy.soylent.com?

My recipe:
http://diy.soylent.com/recipes/canadoylent

In previous versions I was using a lot more ground flax seed and chia seeds but found the texture too pulpy for my liking so I started upping the amount of oil instead.

I’d like to see more monounsaturated fats instead of poly. Maybe try some olive oil.

You can drop the MSM. There’s plenty of sulfur in the protein.

Is there a ratio of Sat/Mono/Poly fat that I should be targeting? I found this article discussing the subject:

It says a Mono-to-Poly ratio between 1:1 and 3:1 appears to be “healthy” http://i.imgur.com/mDQszFG.png

The protein I’m using lists no sulfur in the nutrient info:
http://www.canadianprotein.com/assets/images/nutritionalprofilelabels/100-premium-whey-protein-isolate-5lbs.png

That sounds good. Your recipe is down around 1:4. Soylent’s formula is 7:1.

Yeah, it’s hidden. It’s the cysteine and methionine. Nice discussion here.

With some tweaks I am able to get ratios of 1:1 Mono/Poly and 1:2 Omega 3/6 ratio by using:

1⅓ tbsp Hemp Seed Oil
1⅔ tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Fish Oil

Saturated Fat 8g
Monounsaturated Fat 26g
Polyunsaturated Fat 26g
Omega-3 8g
Omega-6 18g

I’m pretty happy with those numbers. Thanks for your help.

That sounds really good.

I remember reading somewhere (sorry i cant post the link dont have it, but you could search for it, damn i really need to start bookmarking more) something like one part (i dont remember the unit of measurement) of omega 3 competes with two parts of omega 6 for the same enzyme. So you will be better off atleast with a 1:3 ratio of 3 to 6 as it will help you get some omega 6 too.

Camelina oils seems to be under utilized in the DIY community, I wonder why… It is fairly inexpensive and has some +30% omega 3. As well, I do not see many (if any) DIY recipes using saturated fats (other than some cream whips). Cocoa butter contains an appreciable amount of saturated fat that does not appear to increase cholesterol.

My personal plan would be to add as much MCT (coconut oil) and omega 3s as is considered safe, then find an omega 6 source to balance the omega 3, and top off the rest with omega 9 and cocoa butter’s saturated fats. I plan on using sunflower lecithin to help with creating an emulsion, just in case the cocoa butter settles out.

If my memory serves me right Camelina oils are goitrgenic. But if i dont know if thats the reason the DIY commnutiy isnt using it.

Most recipes I see have a significant excess of omega-3 and omega-6 fats. This is unnecessary and potentially harmful.

http://iom.nationalacademies.org/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Nutrition/DRIs/New%20Material/8_Macronutrient%20Summary.pdf

The Institute of Medicine suggests 0.6-1.2g/day of alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3) and 5-10g/day of linoleic acid (omega-6). In vitro studies show that excessive polyunsaturated fat consumption promotes free-radical formation and lipid peroxidation which is a component in the development of atherosclerotic plaque aka heart disease.

DHA/EPA are also not essential and their purported health benefits are mostly unproven.

As with anything in the diet, more is not better, everything needs to be balanced. There’s a ridiculous omega-3 and protein trend right now that is based on hearsay, commonly promoted by the supplement industry and gullible health fanatics.

This poly in your para could be omega 6.

Wrong, they are essential.

You are both right. They are essential, in the fact that the body needs them. But they are not essential in the other sense because the body can make them from something else.

Are you posting that to agree with what I said?

Only two fatty acids are known to be essential for humans: alpha-linolenic acid (an omega-3 fatty acid) and linoleic acid (an omega-6 fatty acid).

ALA and LA are “essential”. EPA and DHA can be synthesized, so not technically “essential”.

True, looks like i got EPA and ALA mixed up.

On another note, it is better for EPA to be added to Soylent, than ALA as only a tiny percentage of ALA is converted to EPA. Adding EPA can also provide DHA. So DHA can be also skipped.