Optimal Ratios DIY Recipe with BMR Tools

Hello everyone,

I have updated my probiotic Chocolate Ryeshake recipe to conform with all that we were able to discover in the Optimal Ratios thread. I wanted to wait till I could get this on the DIY site, but I don’t have time to translate this, and that tool can’t cross reference like a spreadsheet. I hope this spreadsheet may be a useful tool to some of you. My strategy is to consume soylent to cover my BMR, and then all calories burned above my BMR go to either weight loss or pleasure food.

The green fields are the ones that you should edit freely. It would be best not to mess with anything not green unless you know exactly what you’re doing. You can set your target carb/protein/fat ratio, and input user stats to get a BMR estimation. It is currently pre-filled for the average human male height/ideal body weight and a standard body fat % w.an activity factor of 1.2 (sedentary). Use metric!

If you are an athelete, you can change the BMR calculation method to get a more accurate estimation, otherwise K-McArdle is the most accurate. If you don’t know how to estimate your body fat %, leave it alone and use the sex/age/height BMR. For your age, you can replace Jan 1, 1990 with your birthday, and you won’t have to ever update your age again! :slight_smile:

If you want to swap out my recipe for your own, all you need to do is edit the blue and green sections on top and all of the green sections down at the very bottom. The nutrient totals will automatically adjust based on the nutrient inputs. All of the ratios that were found have been included, so the upper limits and lower limits for many minerals will adjust themselves based on the target ratios. Anything out of range will automatically highlight red.

As for the recipe itself, it is a semi-sweet chocolate cinnamon shake. It tastes pretty good.

• I use coconut oil for some good saturated fat
  • I limit the PUFAs to 5% of calories
  • I limit the fructose content (from honey) to 20g/day
  • I get 1.6g of protein per kg of lean mass
  • I include probiotics and have some special IMO sugar which is indigestible and feeds the probiotics.
  • It costs about $7.50/day. This can be lowered by removing Psyllium husk, Cinnamon, and some Protein (if you’re not working out or trying to build muscle, you don’t need as much) down to about $6/day. I believe it may be even cheaper if you can find replacement ingredients at amazon in the US. A big chunk of these costs come from importing, which is still often cheaper than local alternatives.
  • Adjust the oils and rye to keep on target for calories

I think the permission settings I have will allow you to download a copy for yourself to edit. If someone could confirm this for me I would be grateful. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. I will release my final cookie recipe in the same format next month.

So using this, I checked out the ratios of the official soylent recipe (based on the blog post for micronutrients). According to this, the Calcium:Magnesium balance is not ideal, and Iron may compete with copper and lead to a copper deficiency over time. The Iron:Zinc ratio is also borderline (Iron, Zinc and copper all share the same resources for absorption in the gut)

This isn’t a huge deal, I don’t think, since the studies these numbers were attained from weren’t based on people drinking slurries of mixed nutrients. If someone did become copper deficient, the body responds by more efficiently absorbing copper.

It’s still interesting.

Very interesting @sintax,

I am new to soylent (just two months of reading), but what i’ve seen is that the product has been betatested and carefully researched.

I am using your spreadsheet to build my soylent, based in @QuidNYC superfood and some ideas here and there.

There is nothing official about these ratios in the Soylent blog, i think.

But i’ve seen big names (nutritionists, etc…) in the credits, so? … why have all this been analyzed and researched?

I think Soylent needs a MANUAL with everything explained, DRIs, nutrient optimal ratios, clearfull explanations about ingredient choosed, etc… All this need a scientific comite and verifiable data.

It seems @Rob has some huge research stuff in the pocket, let’s see what happens.

No, the ratios are not anything officially recognized by Rosa Labs; it’s just a thread slapped together here on the forums. We compiled whatever sources we could find on the nutrients that compete for absorption.

Some of us were worried, about our DIY recipes, that by taking everything together all the time, deleterious interactions may create problems. I was particularly concerned because in many DIY recipes, we end up with nutrients far beyond 100% of the recommended daily value. My highest is 5000% of B12.

I am not concerned about the Ca:P at all. I can’t imagine that the Ca:Mg is a big deal. And as far as the Fe:Cu ratio goes, I was much more worried back when it was only 8mg of Fe because that would have led to an Fe deficiency in some women. As it is now, this only might lead to some minor issues based on a study where people were not on Soylent diets.