Optimizing Blood Glucose Response

So, we seem to have a lot of control over the carb sources we use and the burn rate with our fat and fiber control. Has anyone thought about optimizing their recipe by monitoring their blood glucose? I have a meter and I’ve been spot checking my numbers to make sure they look normal and healthy, but the thought of optimizing what the “curve” looks like came to mind and making sure I don’t spike too quickly, while not feeling run-down.

A continuous glucose monitor would be nifty for this but they seem to run $1500 unless insurance covers the cost. I have to admit I have little knowledge in this arena, but I’m interested in learning the science and would love to use that knowledge to “optimize” my ingredients as much as possible to provide a healthy glucose response to my formula.

Looking for info, ideas, feedback, suggestions, etc.

In the light of my CRON knowledge and experience, I too was concerned about this issue, particularly when I saw people trying to deal with the maltodextrin and experiencing rushes, crashes and the like. I don’t own a monitor, have resisted thus far the intensive quantified-self approach that seems to suck a lot of CRONies into what I feel is an unhealthy preoccupation with their own biomarkers.

But as I’m winding up my second day entirely on my own RealFoods Analogue Soylent, I’m feeling less not more concern about my blood sugar and associated effects! So far, much to my own surprise and consternation, I’m experiencing considerably improved stability of my overall energy levels and fewer symptoms of hunger and low blood sugar. I attribute this to a couple of different things (to the extent that I understand what’s going on): first, a variety of distinct protein sources rather than a single source like whey protein: I’m getting protein from dried milk, peanut butter, egg solids and whole grains, plus additional smaller quantities from cocoa, yeast culture and banana. That’s a very substantial and diverse protein portfolio! Second, my carbs are also multiply sourced: milk, oats, buckwheat, table syrup, molasses and banana each contribute a substantial share, with support on a lower level from several other ingredients. Small wonder, then, that I’m experiencing extended satiety, very few hunger problems, and no evidence of glucose spiking.

BE, I can only recommend that you give it a try and have a serious go at the RealFoods Analogue approach! I realise that some people here probably think it just isn’t cool, it isn’t even SOYLENT because I’m just making a smoothie. I might have tended to agree with them initially, but no longer. I’ve had a chance to ponder the questions involved and I’ve become convinced I’m onto something that is more significant than a casual smoothie. People don’t worry about balancing the nutrition in a smoothie or making it nutritionally complete, do they! Yet there are smoothie principles in operation here that have proven valuable: ad hoc things like chucking in a banana, using a milk base and so forth. Also in operation are the perfection of milk and egg proteins. And several other familiar nutritional building-blocks or Lego pieces.

I would say to you, @bigepidemic, just TRY IT. This is more powerful than it looks or sounds, I guess because it has been balanced as a soylent. And the definition mooted here in the forums the other day definitely applies: it IS a soylent because its intent is to supply complete balanced nutrition in a single easily absorbed package. It’s the principle that counts, and the principle can be fulfilled with quite a wide variety of possible ingredients and building methods.

I’m already a hybrid recipe with bananna,fruit, brown sugar, powdered milk, mixed proteins and mixed carbs. I want to avoid cooking and really want things as turnkey as possible. maybe I’ll perform 10 minute glucose tests before, during, and after a meal. Not sure if that’s too frequent, infrequent, etc.

That’s right, I had forgotten that you have quite so many food ingredients in your mix. Tell me this, though, because I can’t recall – do you have a lot of maltodextrin in yours, or are you getting your carbs elsewhere? If you don’t have much of the maltodextrin you probably just don’t need to worry much about glucose response; keep the carb sources diverse and I would bet you find it’s self-optimising.

Oat flour, banana, fruit, brown sugar and malto are the biggies. Malto the largest of the bunch.

Have you thought about going the ketogenic way? I did a couple of days ago, and although my body still needs to be keto-adapted, I just feel great. No spikes in blood sugar, and no crashes or cravings for carbs. I’m always satiated, and I have pure and steady energy all day long. Well worth it imo.

I experience all of those feelings as well on a traditional diet, plus I can replace one of my drinks with a meal out with friends without killing myself. My desire to optimize blood glucose isn’t because of any particular feelings or symptoms or conditions. I simply want to optimize my diet to be as healthy and flexible as possible.

On the other side of things, I’m going for the stricter powder-based approach (though I really like the food analogues ya’ll have been doing!)

I definitely tend to have issues with energy spikes / dips throughout the day, and am a little worried about my current formula in regards to the carbohydrates vs calorie count. Generally when I consume foods high in calories and protein, I feel awesome (jamba juice ‘lite’ with a ton of protein? omnomnom). The last of my ingredients comes in tomorrow, so I’ll be full steam ahead by this weekend.

Because looking back at my recipe I’ve tweaked it again, here were the numbers before / after:
Calories: Carbs: Protein: Fat:
1,711 172.40 g 88.15 g 71.15 g
85.54% 132.62% 88.15% 109.46%

After lowering malto and increasing canola oil for calories:
1,661 129.80 g 88.15 g 85.15 g
83.06% 99.85% 88.15% 131.00%

I seem to be high in carbs and / or fat. Though I’m still not quite sure what will end up working best.

I am diabetic and will be watching my sugar levels very closely. I am awaiting my first shipment of Soylent and will update on the results. Naturally, I expect my sugar levels to come way down, and I hope to gain more control over that as the recipe becomes customizable.

I would if i knew how to not get too much om3 and om6… your sources?
Oh and how you manage to dissolve and drink it…

I hope you don’t run into problems with the maltodextrin, Paul. Have you checked that aspect of things out with a doctor who knows his stuff on diabetic diet?

Never heard of anyone getting too much Omega 3 fatty acids.

I’m making a solid soylent every day. I never liked to drink it.

There are many fats to use, which are not too high in polyunsaturated fats. Right now i’m experiencing with cold-pressed rapeseed oil and desiccated coconut meat(with 60% of it being fat) , which i then ground into flour, and then mixing with the rest. So with only 15 g unsweetened cocoa and a little stevia as extras, my finished product is dry chocolate cake dough. Less than 10 carbs and delicious.

I’m thinking of using olive oil to overall lower the polyunsaturated fat to saturated and monounsaturated fat ratio, as there are less polyunsaturated fat in olive compared to rapeseed. Though my omega 3-6 would be worse. I’m not sure what’s more desirable. The body doesn’t like either to much polyunsaturated fat or to much of omega-6 to 3 ratio. Maybe 10-1 is not that bad. It’s hard to find the right balance. But overall i feel like its better going this route, rather than going the carb way. But now that i’m thinking about it, maybe I should use a mix between coconut fat(from desiccated coconut meat), olive oil and a bit of ground flax seeds, to re balance the omega 3-6 ratio. Man i’m so confused of what to do, but i like testing new things out. :wink:

I have run into the same paradox, even though not planning on keto-soylent :slight_smile: My temporary solution was 40g olive + 30g rapeseed + some extra fishoil, giving me
sat 7.7g
mono 59g
poly 12.6g
of which om3 3g + fish oil
of which om6 9.6g
Doesn’t sound too shabby although I’d like to have higher saturated and less polysaturated overall.

I will. I don’t think this will be a problem, but obviously I will be testing myself many times for the first few days. Of course, I am awaiting the final daily carb count.

@bigepidemic @Geroellgeraet It’s entirely possible to get too much Omega 3 - the Inuit had that problem for a long time and as people overdo the ratios it has been showing up in doctors’ offices.

Basically, Omega 3 fats become free radicals much more quickly and easily. They would increase the kinds of damage you get from free radicals.

Symptoms of too much Omega 3 largely involve bleeding. Easily bruising, having trouble stopping bleeding, and of course the infamous internal bleeding with “black tarry stool”… so watch out for it.

The suggestion is not to exceed a 1:1 ratio of o3 to o6.

Thanks for the post,
you are talking about getting too much omega3 relatively, right?
But the issue I saw with keto is that, while you have a healthy ratio of say 3:1, there is just too much absolute omega3.
When 6g:2g is recommended; Could 30g:10g be bad, although it is the correct ratio?

The sources I read suggest closer to 1:1, and I’m not sure where the 6:2 ratio came from. It’s identical to 3:1 though - ratios are ratios, not doses.

What issues did you find with Keto anyway?

Re-read please, I am intending to show the absolute differences with consistent ratios. The shown numbers are indeed masses.

I’m not at all sure what you’re talking about then. What are you trying to say? Why are you worried about overdosing om3 or om6, and by comparison with what? Other fatty acids in the diet? Other macronutrients?