Ordered on 5/15/14, what are the chances of it shipping?


I ordered my first batch of Soylent on 5/15 of this year. I got the 1x Soylent - Soylent / 7 for $85.00 each package. I know there is a lot going on right now with some backers no getting theirs, etc., but I’m just curious (things change, and not everyone can see everything all the time) if you guys think they will ship it within the 10 to 12 week range that they said in the e-mail.

If it’s a very, very slim chance, how might I go about getting refunded? They’ve already charged my credit card and if I’m not going to get the product in the time frame they stated in the e-mail, I’m just going to cancel the order and wait until they get their business together.



let me put it this way, i ordered more than you on 5/24/13 and i haven’t received anything. so yeah, you’ll be waiting quite a while.


You’re still a month out from the deadline, so there’s still a chance you’ll see it on time. If you don’t want to chance them missing the cutoff the quickest way you can request a refund would probably be to tag @JulioMiles here and/or in the official shipping thread.

They are still working through the original campaign orders at the moment and are going by order size, from largest to smallest for those orders. Currently their last update was that they are working on those original 4 week orders, which appear to be the largest set of orders, and have been doing so for a few weeks. Hopefully the remaining smaller orders will go more quickly than the 4 week orders as there appear to be fewer small orders as well as less volume per order.

Hope that helps.


Chances of shipping (period) 99.9%.
Chances of shipping (within the 12 weeks) =?%
I’m hoping that they will be able to really ramp up on shipping soon, but we don’t really know.


If you thinking of asking for a refund, you might want to just wait for the 10 - 12 week window. If they do ship it in that time, great. But if you cancel and then find out that you would have received it on time, that would suck.

On the other hand, if 12 weeks passes and they can’t ship then you should be able to get your money back rather quickly.


I received the e-mail yesterday saying that my order would be delayed an additional 8 to 10 weeks on top of the original 10 to 12 weeks. I will now start asking for a refund, because I am not waiting that long. Not when they’ve already charged my credit card (they could have waited until shipping) and forcing me to pay interest on that and when I can just go the DIY route. I’m done waiting. Kudos to those of you that have the patience to wait, but I’ve always been an impatient person, and this is no exception.


Not received a mail yet, but will probably cancel one of my orders when I get one.