Organic No GMO's

Is Soylent organic? Granted, Montsanto is blowing in the breeze of all now. But,
is soylent ORGANIC? I got excited when I heard the interview on NPR this morning, but it dawned on me to ask, is Soylent organic? Or not… sigh

No.

That’s not to say it can’t be. If the producers wanted to they could possibly go for a Made with Organic ingredients label, but I’m not sure an Organic certification would really be appropriate for the product.

Hmm… all this shakeup, support, and even my two cents, for non organic? I can’t believe it.
I was sooooo close to enjoying soylent.

Non organic isn’t bad. The vitamins and minerals additions are the main stumbling blocks to the certification as many of them are really only available through synthetic sources. Otherwise it’s just finding organic sources for the fat, carbs, and protein.

What’s with the need for Soylent to be organic? It’s a nutritional drink, not a steak.

Why not make your own DIY recipe that is all organic?
If you don’t like the way it is done then fix it to meet your needs. That is what I am attempting to do as well.

Personally I don’t see what the big deal is, but that is just my opinion.

I will create my own as well.   Best Regards to the Soylent folks as well.  Peace to ALL.      

Can you open the pod door HAL?

For me the most important question is: Is it cancer free?

It’s about time someone figured out that this stuff is not good for you.

How Soy lecithin negatively affects your body:

i was willing to give that link a chance even though its called “real pharmacy” if it has to tell someone its real in the name its not a good sign. but it had me till this sentence (which is the very start of there soy lecithin is bad argument)

Researchers have clearly identified GM foods as a threat to the environment, pollution of soils and a long-term threat to human health with links to of the world with unnatural genetic material that may have unknown long-term consequences with links to decreased fertility, immunological alterations in the gut and the exacerbation and creation of allergies.

now this is a very interesting sentance and start of there argument so lets break it down.

Researchers have clearly identified GM foods as a threat to the environment,
its a threat the the environment in the sense that it can decimate insect populations. but so can anything this isn’t OMG GM FOOD = BAD its being twisted just like this statement from another article.

" For example, we may find that GMOs, like tomatoes, eat up too much oxygen, thereby depriving humans of the air they need to live and exist."

these kinds of sentences are meant to scare people, they provide no proof or substance.
people are scared of gm food, i dont know why but they are and they try to make everyone else scared as well.

pollution of soils and a long-term threat to human health with links to of the world with unnatural genetic material that may have unknown long-term consequences with links to decreased fertility, immunological alterations in the gut and the exacerbation and creation of allergies
what does this mean??? is it a typo?

this is like me saying
Researchers have clearly identified Red Tee-shirts as a threat to the environment, destruction of the ecosystem and a long term threat to human health that may long-term consequences with links to cataract, skin cancer and the exacerbation and creation of allergies.

see what i did there?
in short
don’t be a sheep
THINK

-no sources

-laced with meaningless buzzwords and scare tactics

-copied from antivaccine site

Yeah, no, get out. This is meant to be a site for reasoned and civil discussion, but if you’re not going to be reasonable I’m not going to be civil. That article’s idiotic, the anti-GMO movement is idiotic, and if you genuinely believe the horseshit therein you are also idiotic.

It’s really difficult to reason with people here. Can you get off this guy? Soy is not the only thing that can give you cancer. And, like… really? I honestly don’t know how to answer some question without being a jackass. This guy is just being cucu. And at least he did answer my question, it doesn’t matter if hes right or wrong becouse those are subjective definitions. Why don’t you try and answer it too?

Being factually right or wrong is the least subjective thing in the world. No, insofar as we are aware nothing in Soylent is at all carcinogenic. Perhaps if you’re very small the micronutrient doses could prove excessive and that might cause harm, but I don’t know beyond that.

certainly. your question:
is it cancer free?

Noun
The disease caused by an uncontrolled division of abnormal cells in a part of the body.
A malignant growth or tumor resulting from such a division of cells.

im going to assume you meant to ask the question:
does soylent increase a persons risk of cancer

in which case you would have to look at each individual item and check research for that vitamin/micro nutrient
in most cases you can find people claiming that it causes increased risk and another that says it provides health benefits.
but the fact is this: most of it is wishful thinking and pure co-incidence. look at news story’s its a constant stream of
bacon is good for you, bacon is bad for you, its not the bacon its the salt that’s bad for you, a bit of salt is in fact good for you.

when you breath the air walking around in a city the air there is full of poison and carcinogenics from car exhaust and people smoking. which is the best thing to take an example from.

some people smoke 40 a day and live to be 100
some people are heath nuts and die at 30 of cancer
and vice - verca
in the end its all down to pot luck.

so the answer to your question is:
enjoy life and don’t winge about the small stuff. if you want to eat something then eat it. if you don’t then don’t

I hate to be a nitpicky bastard Scilya, but when you said:

some people smoke 40 a day and live to be 100
some people are heath nuts and die at 30 of cancer
and vice - verca
in the end its all down to pot luck.

That’s a terrible, terrible argument. Its akin to saying, you don’t need to worry about asbestos because you could be struck by lightning tomorrow.

While its true that some people defy the odds (either for or against them), using that as an argument for why you shouldn’t be critical of a new product is terrible form.

A much better argument to make is everything in soylent is ACTUALLY IN FOOD. We’re not consuming a mixmash of laboratory chemicals and crossing our fingers hoping everything is all right. Rob has fairly meticulously (I hope at least) gone through tons of sources that give recommended and required components(not sure if this is the best word but you get the idea) and included them all in soylent.

For example instead of grinding up a banana for its potassium content, he uses it in a pure form. Your body needs potassium not bananas. That’s the argument to make, not “well we’re all gonna die anyways.”

haha its an argument in the sense that it increases the chance of things and is down to luck. asbestos is extremely harm full because the tiny tiny pieces of it get taken in to your lungs when you breath and realy mess things up.
i get what you mean but the point i was trying to make is not to believe scaremongering. which is what 95% of ZOMG GM=BAD OMG SALT = BAD is

we are all gonna die anyways but not the point i was trying to get to lol
i was trying to say that if you spend your life worrying about things that may cause cancer (like aspartame) then in all honesty your probably gonna have an unhappy life worrying left right and center about everything that “might” be bad for you

Scilya is obviously a YOLO. Good look surviving in 2030 when most forms of cancer reach a 100% of incidence. Also, there’s no need to worry about everything, just things that will give you cancer for sure and not just “increse the risk”. My risk of cancer increse by every breath I take, that was my argument on another thread. For example, sushi. High concentrations of mercury. I fucking love sushi. Am I gonna eat it just becouse you only live once? No, becouse is not worth it If I’m just gonna live to my 40. This topic is way out of line. Is nonsense. If you’re not concerned, don’t make everyone else lose their time arguing about something that nobady cares. We are trying to know If there is something in Soylent that POTENTIALLY gives you cancer. But I disagree with that comment of “being factually right or wrong is the least subjective thing in the world” (UGH GOD), we’re not gonna go anywhere arguing about this. So, why don’t we drop it here and in the future everybody makes his own research? :smiley:

i keep seeing YOLO around never bothered looking in to what it meant,…
im sure in your post u just said what i have said,…

but sushi is awesome u should eat it from time to time

Gabriel, I have no idea where you are getting a 100% incidence rate for most forms of cancer. The cancer incidence rate is expected to increase between 100% and 180%, in the next 15 years mostly due to longer life expectancy. Also there is nothing that gives you cancer for sure, there are only things that increase your risk of getting cancer.