Ovaltine as a base

Has anybody looked into using Ovaltine as a base for DIY soylent? I happened to look at the nutritional content and it is chock-full of a lot of vitamins. With 400 calories worth, you can get 100% of your Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Calcium, Iron, Thiamin, Niacin, Biotin, Zinc, and Copper. That’s for about $1.20 a day, and it probably takes care of the flavoring too! Is this something?

I imagine you’d need to remove the sugar somehow…

It doesn’t seem like that much sugar, actually.

There’s 85 grams of brown sugar in the Hackerschool Soylent recipe. That comes out to about 323 calories. If you used 10x the serving size indicated on the ovaltine container, (and nobody says you have to use that much) you have 400 calories, not all of which come from the sugar. You might end up with something slightly sweeter than Hackerschool Soylent, but not by much. And I’m drinking Hackerschool Soylent right now – I wouldn’t describe it as sweet.

interesting idea – build out a recipe, would love to see it

a problem you might run into is getting the other Bs included without going way over on the ones that are included in ovaltine (since they usually come together in a pill or mix)

There’s a case to made here - looks like a good idea :slight_smile: