Over The Counter Recipe Evaluation

I am using an over the counter recipe with ingredients that can all be purchased at my local Sprouts grocer. Sprouts has a good supplements section, and has a health food slant, but a similar store should be available to most. The recipe is posted at www.makesoylent.com as Oat, Flax, Whey, Brown Rice Syrup, and uses 2 Softgel Multivitamins, 150g Rolled Oats, 61 g Whey Isolate, 20 g Flax seed, 50 ml Olive Oil, 40 g Molasses, 90 ml Brown Rice Syrup, 3 g Iodized Table Salt, 3 g Nu-salt (potassium chloride), 6g MSM, and 3 gm dried (15 gm fresh equivalent) Kale (since my supplement is missing vitamin K). I have been using it for several days, and it works well with a nice malt/caramel flavor from the molasses. Even the dried flax doesn’t grind up totally, so there is a bit of texture, which works fine for me. My wife likes it too, and she generally hates protein shakes. It is a bit addictive.

I would appreciate any comments which might improve the recipe. I am a bit new to this and want to make sure I haven’t missed anything fundamental. I probably will mostly use it as a 2x a day supplemental to a normal dinner meal, but may try a stretch on all Soylent.

Also, I really have to thank Nick P, the author of Makesoylent.com – it was by far the easiest app or spreadsheet to use, and allowed me to concentrate on getting full nutritional information for each ingredient and cross-checking units.

This is a really cool, creative recipe!

The biggest issue I notice is that you don’t have a significant amount of choline. You could add this with a choline supplement, or by replacing some of your fat with lecithin. (Lecithin is a fat source which also contains a lot of choline.)

I applied the DRI nutrient profile to show a few places where you might be pushing the upper limits on micronutrient amounts (they are marked in red):

http://www.makesoylent.com/recipes/51e83105374db50200000091

You’re never very far over the ULs in these cases; it certainly wouldn’t be an issue if you were using soylent part-time, and it would only possibly be an issue if you were using soylent full-time.

For sodium, the issue could be fixed by using less salt – although in that case I see you wouldn’t be getting enough iodine, according to your figures. For vitamin A and and niacin, the issue could be fixed by using a different multi-vitamin with a more balanced nutrient profile – e.g. this one, as recommended by the hacker school soylent guy. (You don’t need to be a woman to take it.) This vitamin also contains iodine, so you would be able to reduce your salt. (This would also be the case for a number of other multi-vitamins, I am sure.)

I very much agree with you, @nwthomas; I like vhat I’m seeing here, very clean streamlined recipe with few ingredients, should have quite a nice taste. I’d very much like to hear how things go with the brown rice syrup; I’ll go after more info on that item when I get time.

My one concern was the multivitamin. It’s pushing the ULs on some micros to barely reach Rob’s recs on others. In particular I would try to find a multi with a lot less manganese and vitamin A. I wish I knew why they put so damn much manganese in these multivitamins; it’s not as if it were hard to get in an ordinary diet, I can’t imagine that anyone in a western industrialised country would ever be deficient. I don’t worry about high manganese from my food, but when it’s coming from supplementation you need to be pretty careful.

Look over some other multivitamins and see if you can’t find one better balanced for this application. I sometimes wonder whether these manufacturers pack their formulae with gee-whiz over-the-top quantities of everything on the supposition that this will impress the consumer and earn them bigger market share; pretty stupid if you ask me.

NICE JOB, Silvus. :smile:

Thank you for your comments. I am looking for a substitute Multivitamin. I think I will plug in one from the Makesoylent.com app ingredient database and play with that. I put the dehydrated Kale in for the Vitamin K, but it makes me feel safer to have a few nature-packed nutrients (oats, flax, and Kale) in the mix.

I just spent an hour reading dozens of Multivitamin labels. None suitable were on the shelves at either Sprouts or Target. What gives – a simple 100% of all the minerals and vitamins except Calcium and Magnesium and Potassium would be nice. Vitamin A, Niacin, and Magnesium are pretty tight between RDA and upper limit. You would think they would avoid overloading those ones.

Thanks so much for your comments.

I agree, multivitamins can be frustrating. Best of luck!

Yeh, thats exactly what they do tbh. It is because people still tend to associate more = better.

Multivitamins seem to suffer from ‘Gillette Syndrome’, i.e. cram as many blades on as you can because more is better. - the onion did a perfect spoof of this effect a few years back, which always makes me chuckle…

They don’t tell me what to invent—I tell them. And I’m telling them to
stick two more blades in there. I don’t care how. Make the blades so
thin they’re invisible. Put some on the handle. I don’t care if they
have to cram the fifth blade in perpendicular to the other four, just
do it!

:smiley:

Nice minimal recipe Silvus. These more whole foods based ones definitely making me rethink my own.

I was struggling with Choline, and searching for a Multivitamin, and scored both at Vitamin Shoppe. New recipe is up, with 10 ingredients, no alerts, and actually meets the RDA of Choline which is now a whopping 550 mg. Price is down to $4.54 per day. And I am sticking my dehydrated Kale in there for myself, even though I left it out of the recipe.

Thanks for your help. A lot of interesting research today.