Overcoming multivitamin deficiencies

Hi all,

I am new to these forums after finally deciding to take the plunge and DIY it. I have been working on my recipe for the last couple of days - a variation of the beginners recipe to fit my needs and sourcing local UK products. I am at the final stages, but just have a few issues with my multivitamin and filling out all the micronutrients. I have tried two multivitamin tablets:

1. Centrum Men
  2. Sanatogen A-Z Complete

They both create 3 different deficiencies, while both being deficient in Vitamin K. For all other macros and micros I am perfectly set. Which one should I go with and how serious are the deficiencies? Do I really have to buy each individual micro separately? I am already at the top end of my daily budget with my current list of ingredients.

A simplified spreadsheet outlining the deficiencies- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aga16B-YJSGjdDFVcG84RjNOeC1Mc3BqUFp2aS1tMXc&usp=sharing

I have included the EU RDAs since I often find Rob’s levels a little high.

If you are using soy lecithin as a fat source / emulsifying agent, you’ll find that it’s quite rich in vitamin K.

Of the two multivitamins, I’d probably go with the Centrum one. Copper, selenium, and zinc can be found in abundance in oat flour and flaxseed meal, and you’re likely using one of those two in your recipe. Chromium, molybdenum, and vitamin B12 are harder to find.

I’m not using soy lecithin - my only fat source is olive oil (and some fat in my ground oats). Actually don’t really get why some recipes include soy lecithin. Is it necessary if I’ve got the requisite fat levels?

I am indeed using oat flour/oat powder. It’s a little concerning to me that a lot of these ingredients don’t list the full nutritional content. I also just learned today that the oats include a bunch of phosphorous & magnesium, both of which I am also low on, but ignoring due to the oats.

So do you suggest I go with centrum and just get a Vit K supplement? I’m on 300g of oat powder per day.

Sorry would probably be easier if I posted my full recipe, but still finalising the spreadsheet and needs cleaning up. Will be posting it in a new thread later once finalised for a full critique.

[quote=“newrat, post:3, topic:4231, full:true”]
It’s a little concerning to me that a lot of these ingredients don’t list the full nutritional content.[/quote]

Welcome to the horrifying world of nutrition. :wink:

A lot of folks are using soy lecithin because it acts as an emulsifier, and helps the formula mix better. The fact that it is a reasonably balanced source of fats is a bonus.

I was using the Centrum multivitamin previously, in a mix without oats, and to make it complete I was adding vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D, potassium, calcium, phosphorus vitamin K, magnesium, choline, and sulfur, all as individual supplements. Now I am using the Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women vitamin (though I am male). I am getting most of my minerals from oat flour and almond flour, and choline from lecithin. Now I just have to add potassium, calcium, and sulfur as individual supplements. The Opti-Women isn’t perfect (for my purposes I wish it had fewer minerals, since those are abundant in my oats and almonds), but it’s a good 'un.

My Centrum pill has 100% EU RDA of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D and the ON vitamin doesn’t include phosphorous either so I’m not sure how switching helped you so much? It only really seems to solve the vitamin K issue (assuming you have oats), but like you say it’s a bit high on some, like maganese and iron for example.

Oh, I see! I was using a different Centrum product (the Centrum Adults Under 50). In my case it was adding the oats and lecithin that let me stop supplementing phosphorus, magnesium, and choline, and switching vitamins which let me stop supplementing A, C, D, and K. So clearly switching vitamins won’t help you in any significant way.

If K is the only thing you’re short on, I’d say buy a K supplement. It should only cost a few cents a day.

Also, are you getting choline anywhere? If not, lecithin could knock out both birds, because it’s high in choline as well as K.

I have choline right now in the form of a choline bitartrate powder. But thanks for pointing that out, I may be able to drop that for some lecithin if it solves my K problem too. Only my choline powder is super cheap so will have to be cost effective too. Thanks, will research!

Also, I just realised your ON multivitamins require taking 2 pills to reach the stated doses. I hate how they deceive you with a ‘per serving’ breakdown. That makes it considerably more expensive than alternatives no?

@newrat: You’re right, the ON vitamin takes two capsules, and it’s pretty expensive. I’m not too fussed about 15 cents a day, but I guess that does add up. I might look at a different vitamin – your Centrum Men, maybe – once my supply runs out. Thanks for pointing that out!

source? I’m using soy lechitin and only factored in its fat content

Here are a few sources I pulled my information from:

Wikipedia: “Some vegetable oils, notably soybean, contain vitamin K, but at levels that would require relatively large calorific consumption to meet the USDA-recommended levels.”

Nutrition Data: The Vitamin chart shows that soy lecithin contains 1.84 mcg of Vitamin K per gram.

World’s Healthiest Foods: The Nutrient Rating Chart shows that cooked soybeans (not lecithin—I know) are a good source of Vitamin K.

WebMD: Lists soybeans as a good source of Vitamin K.