Pain under tongue: Soylent related?

I’ve been drinking Soylent 2.0 for about 2 weeks now, almost every day. I have at least one bottle, and some days have two. Over the last two or three days, I’ve noticed the under side of my tongue being sore and having what looks like inflamed taste buds.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’m wondering if it’s from Soylent or not. Any ideas?

Do they look sort of like this?

Not in my experience.

Unfortunately they’re not well understood. I used to mindlessly press my tongue into my teeth, and it seems like that’s where they tend to form. So being mindful of what I’m doing with my tongue has helped tremendously. I also read online that some people suspected SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) in toothpaste was a possible cause, so I switched to an SLS-free toothpaste since it was a minor change (be careful that you make sure it’s not fluoride free too, a lot of the SLS-free toothpastes don’t have fluoride for some reason). It won’t foam up like SLS toothpaste does, which was weird at first but I’m used to it now. After making those changes, I’ve gone from like 2-3 a month to maybe one a year.

Oh, I also switched to an SLS-free mouthwash that I use daily. I’m not sure if it helps, but it doesn’t seem to hurt. I use one with alcohol, but I’ve been told that alcohol-free mouthwashes are gentler. I tried one and didn’t like it.

Some people think they have trigger foods, but at least for me Soylent is not one. I’ve not noticed any definitive trigger foods, although I’ve suspected some sugary/acidic/spicy foods before.

They will go away by themselves in about a week. Officially, treatment is “topical steroids, anesthetics, coating agents.” Unofficially, some people will excise or cauterize them (e.g., with silver nitrate sticks). A doctor may be convinced to do this for you, but most people do it themselves. I wouldn’t mess around with silver nitrate unless you’re comfortable shoving dangerous things in sensitive areas of your body. Some people will bite or pinch them off; you’re essentially trading days of dull pain for a few seconds of excrutiating pain.

@designer92, did you ever happen to get this before you went on soylent diet?