🌴 ☀ Will Soylent drop in price? If so, when?

:sunny: Hi Soylent and Fans :smiley:

I started Soylent about a week ago and can really see myself continuing this.
My concern though is the price

I was wondering if it will ever drop in price?

And if it will when can we expect this?

There are a lot of previous threads discussing price (click the magnifying glass in the top right to search previous threads). I think:

• They won’t pre-announce a price drop.
  • There is little pressure for a price drop as long as demand is growing.
  • Decreasing the price is one of their major goals.

I expect the price to drop, perhaps dramatically in the future, but that might not happen until after they launch in more countries. It’s only been a few days since shipping began in Canada.

is $3 per meal really that deplorable of a price?

Anyways, Rob has said before that he would like Soylent to get to <= $5 per day, so food stamps people will be able to afford it and what not. Its in that fireside chat thread somewhere, where he said it.

It’s very easy to make DIY for less than $5 a day. I’ve seen people talking about less than $2 a day as well. I would rather have a higher price and better research early on. In a couple years it will “all be figured out” and be much cheaper. If not from Rosa Labs than by somebody else. As has already been said, it is a bit early to try to make it cheaper.

RL is already profitable (extremely rare for this sort of business), yet they’re not dropping the price. Until another real competitor comes along, there’s not going to be any price drops.

A few European soylents are basically $100 cheaper than Soylent. I don’t think it is far fetched that Soylent could drop that much in price given some time.

That is 100% true. It has been clearly stated by Soylent numerous times. “Making it so cheap that only the rich will cook” is something Rob has said recently, IIRC. (something like that, anyway)

It likely won’t be any time too soon nor will it be announced ahead of time, I imagine. Hang in there, in the meantime.

(Personally, the price just dropped ~$45, as I no longer need to use a reshipper, being that I live in Canada. :sunny: )

Rob just posted this tidbit on his Reddit AMA a few minutes ago:

Cost and quality are not mutually exclusive. We focus on delivering value.
Low cost products are extremely innovative. Ask any engineer, it’s easy
to make something expensive.

With food I see cost especially as something that needs to be lowered because

1. it is a proxy for the resources and labor that went in to the
    product, which I seek to minimize
  2. I want soylent to be globally accessible, and thus it must be at a
    price point that is achievable by all, while sustaining our growing
    business.

This is why we focus on efficiency. If you have a more efficient
process you can make more with less. Single cell protein will be both
cheaper, more sustainable, and higher quality than animal or even plan
protein.

I would rather the price go UP and have them use higher quality ingredients! For instance, these vitamins are awesome. I would love to see Soylent partner with companies like this for some of their ingredients.
http://www.gardenoflife.com/Products-for-Life/mykind-Organics/Mens-Multi.aspx

Up? lol that isn’t happening, thank goodness.

Certified USDA Organic and Non-GMO Project Verified.
Made From Real Whole Food:

That vitamin is basically the opposite of Soylent.

Yep, exactly. And would it really cost THAT much more to use these vitamins instead of the ones Rosa Labs currently uses? Think how much more of the masses would become interested in Soylent if they knew high quality ingredients were inside?

Where I live in PA, a large middle class family like mine cringes at prices >$1 a meal. It’s something of a dream of mine to feed my (future) family on something as healthy and efficient as Soylent, so I’m really looking forward to a price drop.

@rob also just posted this on his AMA reddit:

Soylent is cheap. Don’t just look at $3 / meal. How much is your time worth? How much does a kitchen cost?

I see our competition as groceries and fast food. In terms of cost per calorie we are already approaching competition with milk. Also, we are not tied to any one organism or process and thus have the potential to be lower while other staples, despite subsidies, are already at or near their potential.

I see a clear path to cost reduction but it will take time. It is not worth risking the business to be hasty.

What’s the appeal, besides being more expensive?

Who says Soylent is made from low quality ingredients? From the AMA:

Cost and quality are not mutually exclusive. We focus on delivering value. Low cost products are extremely innovative. Ask any engineer. It’s easy to make something expensive.

With food I see cost especially as something that needs to be lowered because

1. it is a proxy for the resources and labor that went in to the product, which I seek to minimize
  1. I want soylent to be globally accessible, and thus it must be at a price point that is achievable by all, while sustaining our growing business.

This is why we focus on efficiency. If you have a more efficient process you can make more with less. Single cell protein will be cheaper, more sustainable, and higher quality than animal or even plan protein.

It’s all about bioavailability. The vitamins I linked to above use methycobalamin, a better form of b12 than what Soylent uses. Their folate is probably better too. Ultimately I just trust that these whole food vitamins are healthier to use than chemicals etc.

Those are chemicals, too. Literally everything is a chemical. I’ll never understand that kind of argument. “chemicals are bad, mkay?” :expressionless:

How are they better? The bioavailability itself doesn’t matter if the amount is adjusted accordingly. If you mean Soylent doesn’t provide enough for our bodies, wouldn’t some Soylent users have a vitamin B12 or folate deficiency?

If you trust that “whole food” anything is better for you than “chemicals” (even though whole food is, as @smeggot said, literally made of chemicals), Soylent is not aligned with your beliefs. It will still work great for you as a product, since you’re human, but I don’t foresee Rosa Labs putting a “whole food vitamin” in Soylent. That is the opposite of what they’re trying to do.

I know, and I don’t agree with it. :frowning:

But the good news is that since this thing is catching on so well, there will be many products to choose from. I’ve been wondering when the really big food makers like General Mills etc are going get involved…

Ambronite and Meal Squares are both made with whole foods if that is what is important to you.