Physical effects of a long-term liquid diet?

Love the idea of Soylent and it will become a part of my diet when it is commercially available.

Similar to bone loss in low gravity, I wonder if there are use-it-or-lose-it effects that might not become evident in short term use… Do my teeth fall out from lack of use? Do my intestines or bowels get cancer or something else over the long term from decreased use?

I’m sure I’m not the first to think of it but I haven’t seen a discussion about it yet.

No your teeth won’t fall out xD
Most people’s teeth actually improve in whiteness, possibly because of a better ratio of calcium:phosphate that we don’t normally get and a reduction in salty, sugary foods from a normal diet.
Long term effects we don’t really know because it hasn’t been around long enough for anyone to know for certain.
Soylent aims to provide every nutrient and vitamin the body needs to be as close to 100% of a diet as possible, but even if the best Soylent could ever be is 80% of that it’s still better than what most of us are eating now. I doubt I’m getting even a third of what I should on a regular basis.

I get the last paragraph. No problems.

Many years ago I looked into the possibility of getting a trapdoor in my stomach. Ideally I would have just thrown food in and closed it up again :slight_smile: I was advised at the time that too much digestion began in the mouth with chewing and saliva interaction. I would have had to blend everything with various enzymes and the whole thing sounded like too much effort to go to… So the whole Soylent concept isn’t new to me.

Just wondering if anyone’s found anything about long term effects. So far all I’ve found refers to short term liquid diets for weight loss. And a 1 year study on rabbits indicated no liver damage after 12 months.

There is no need to consume soylent 100% of the time, the soylent team (and most of us too) advice to eat some real food on ocassion, just for pleasure. Besides that you can chew gum.
Soylent has fiber, you know. And even if it don’t has, the relation of dietary fiber and colon cancer is [weak][1]:

or [Denis Burkitt’s observation][2] that people in Africa ate more fiber than people in England and had less colon cancer “proving” that eating fiber is the key to preventing colon cancer, virtually all of the nutritional dogma we are exposed to has not actually been scientifically tested.

And anything that goes in the stomach is in a pre-digested state. Soylent (and any other smoothy for that matter) is “pre-digested” by the blender blades instead of by the teeth and saliva.
[1]: http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/is-red-meat-killing-us
[2]: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/124/9/1551.full.pdf