Phytic Acid, the continuing controversy

So I was stumbling around and found this little tidbit

“Before you go out and try to remove every last scrap of phytic acid from your diet, keep in mind that it’s likely humans can tolerate a small to moderate amount of phytic acid – in the range of 100 mg to 400 mg per day…”

Little farther down we have “White flour 258” , thats milligrams per 100 g dried weight.

Haven’t botherd to actually check it for oat powder but I thought this might spark some one else to investigate, maybe a bit of discussion.

See here for some previous discussion.

how did I miss this? oh wonderful! you did all the math and critical thinking and everything.

Thanks for the positive feedback! It’s worth noting that nobody has responded in a substantial way to my most recent post, where I try to apply more sophisticated math to the problem.

I suspect nobody had anything better to add. Your work was fairly thorough. I for one appreciated it, albeit silently.

As far as I know, oat powder is ground oats, so it should have the same amount of phytic acid per gram as oat flakes, which is listed there at 1174mg per 100g.

At least a month ago, @Rob asked if there were any known problems with phytic acid outside of absorption issues with some micronutrients. No one had any information on that.

Chris Kresser references an article by the Weston A. Price Foundation that lists a few more issues.

Phytic acid not only grabs on to or chelates important minerals, but also inhibits enzymes that we need to digest our food, including pepsin,1 needed for the breakdown of proteins in the stomach, and amylase,2 needed for the breakdown of starch into sugar. Trypsin, needed for protein digestion in the small intestine, is also inhibited by phytates.3

It’s still a matter of the amount. Maybe reading some of the studies cited in that article will give us some useful numbers, but the 150 to 400 mg per day they recommend is probably good.

For me, the phytic acid problem is another reason to avoid a high carb mix.

Perhaps if we deal with it accordingly, it can be a benefit to our nutrition?