Phytoestrogens are a problem

Phytoestrogens are a problem. What are the other options besides Powdered Soy Lecithin?

You could start by using the search feature.

“The majority of soy’s phytoestrogens are found in its isoflavones and lignans, which are mostly found in soy protein. These compounds exist in trace amounts in the lecithin part of the soybean” (source).

“later laboratory analysis revealed that lecithin contains no phytoestrogens”(source).

They both cite this study, though I can’t find the info in there.

Btw, you can also find sunflower lecithin.

All good information, but I simply want to stay as far away from phytoestrogens as possible.

BTW, when/where can I get some to try?

Why are phytoestrogens a problem? Who does this problem affect?

It affects male rats. Not male humans though apparently.
So, PLEASE don’t feed your Soylent to your pet rat! :wink:

Phytoestrogens are a potential problem as they may disrupt the endocrine system (your hormones basically ;)) - how much (if at all) they do this is the subject of much debate. The fear is, you might be boosting your Estrogen levels if you get a lot of them. Increased Estrogen = reduced Testosterone which can be a significant problem for males.

It is a fairly controversial topic and there will likely be studies on both sides (probably crappy studies as most nutritional ones are). Personally, I avoid them as they are usually easily avoidable (don’t eat massive amounts of soy).

No idea though if phytoestrogens make it through into soy lecithin, or if they do the amounts are enough to make any impact though.

If you look through the study I linked to, it shows there are phytoestrogens in a lots of common foods, mostly in nuts and legumes, but also in fruits, nuts and grains (a whole lot in doughnuts and black licorice for some reason). You’re probably consuming some small amounts of them now. But relevant for us, there are pretty substantial quantities of pinoresinol and and genistein in olive oil and a whole lot of phytoestrogens in flax seed.

Personally, I’m not going to worry about it since it looks like the research on the benefits and/or risks of phytoestrogens is weak and conflicting. It might reduce your risk of prostate/breast cancer if you’re a male/female. Or not.

http://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(09)00966-2/abstract

The phytoestrogen worry is largely disproved, it really shouldn’t cause too many problems.

I agree that phytoestrogen affects are both proved and disproved in studies of all kinds. I think SMALL amounts might be beneficial. However, where it counts for me is how it affects me. I have seen some negative effect when I ate lots of soy and flax. My big buddy is of important function to me, but when he is is a little buddy his value is greatly reduced. Maybe coincidence, but he is decidedly of greater value to me after dropping these large phytoestrogen contributors.

Also, the phytoestrogen content is a factor to consider in public acceptance, especially since Soylent is promoted as being a large part of one’s diet, if not the entire diet. Unless the content is very small (similar to levels in most natural foods), phytoestrogen is likely to be brought up sooner or later, in one venue or another, perhaps by someone who blames if for problems.

TFW males don’t need a lot of the effects of testosterone nowadays, and would admittedly suffer less diseases if they parted with some.