Planning on trying Minimal Price ($0.62/day), any tips?

I’ve been eyeing soylent for a while now, and my biggest concern is that the price is still not at an amount that I’d count as “cheap”. It’s not super expensive, but I have a hard time investing enough to try it out for any length of time at that price point.

To this end I’ve checked out a few DIY recipes, and the minimal price recipe really struck my interest. It’s cost is listed at $0.62/day, and looking at the current prices, it looks like it’d actually be even cheaper than that.

I’d probably have to adjust the diet for slightly more calories, but other than that I’m really ready to try this diet.

I am going to try the diet out for at least 30 days (I’m going to allow myself up to 2 other meals per week, for social interaction), and I will blog about the entire experience (I’ll link it here when I’m done). I just am looking for tips from anyone who’s experimented with similar recipes. A couple questions:

1. Is there any glaring problems with this diet? Any recommendations to change it slightly (hopefully not changing the cost too much).
  • How should I consume this? These ingredients don’t necessarily look like the easiest to consume, but would simply adding them to a shake work?

• If I made a shake from them, how much water should I add?

• If I mix the ingredients into a shake, can I pre-prepare shakes for later days? What should I count as the “expiry date” for the shake? Should I just take the earliest expiry date of any of the ingredients?

• Any other tips for me?

Thank you very much, and I look forward to seeing what’s the possibility of creating a truly cheap food source that anyone can afford.

1: Niacin and Manganese overages are potentially very bad for you short term, definitely on a long term basis. Potassium is very low, Vitamin K needs some shoring up, and there’s definitely not enough protein.
2: It looks pretty bland to me. I’d try it with a little sugar and vanilla, maybe cinnamon, or cocoa for flavor. Be sure to adjust your ingredients accordingly.
3: That depends on the taste and texture. You’ll need to experiment.
4: 3 days at the most, and probably less because wheat flour will congeal into a gummy mass.
5: Experiment! look at other sources and recipes.

I’m working on a cheap recipe that has sufficient amounts and no overages of anything. So far, I’m ~$1.14 USD without any unsafe overages. I’m low on calcium and choline and vitamin c, but should have the wrinkles ironed out before too much longer.

Be sure to let me know when you do iron out the wrinkles. I really wanna try it, and wanna make sure I pick a decent recipe.

Thanks for the tips about the niacin and manganese overages, I didn’t think those would be a problem, and I’m glad I found out before I bought everything.

I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to pre-prepare the shakes, but maybe I’ll just make a day’s worth the night before or something.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/kiss - So far, it’s pretty decent. I’ve almost broken the $1/day mark. I’m still working out the details, but its useable where it’s at. There’s a little less choline than there needs to be, but everything else is solid.
It’s nutritionally complete and doesn’t require much in the way of mixing. I’m going to keep tweaking it for a week or so and then get everything ordered up.

It looks quite awesome, I’ll definitely try this one. Just gotta wait for my next pay check now (It’s cheap per day, but not cheap to start out lol)

Yup - but $390 for a years worth of food is a pretty staggering concept. :smiley:

Is there a reason you’re buying 3 year’s worth of the soy protein isolate? I mean yes you save about 50%, but that’s a pretty big commitment.

Speaking of which, do you know which of this would have a short expiry date? Looking at the soy flour it says 1 year sealed in a cool dry place, so you’d have to be careful to make sure you store the bulk of it somewhere, and take out maybe a week’s worth at a time to store in the cupboard. Looking through the ingredients it looks like pretty much everything should last if you bought a year’s worth at once.

I think I’d pre-mix all the dry goods besides soy flour, then mix the soy flour, oil and the rest for each day.

Yeah, I haven’t gotten to the logistics part, but I was planning on making some for family/friends as well. I’d say that’s a pretty good plan. I’m still working out the ingredients, but another reason to have lots of protein would be for exercise and building muscle.

The oil would have the shortest expiration date - but would be used up long before.

Hi, I’m the one who put the minimal price recipe together.

My intent was that the wheat flour would be used to make bread. I suspect that if you just mixed the flour in a blender it would not be nutritionally sound, because you couldn’t digest the starch. Also I haven’t tried, but I suspect it would form a horrible goopy monstrosity.

I actually lived on a diet like this for a while, but using commercially bought bread. The problem I ran into was that I had heartburn. I think this was because my stomach was being overworked trying to digest all that starch. I am actually not convinced that homemade bread would produce the same problem, but my hunch that it might not has no rational basis.

Anyway, that’s what I have to say about that. There’s no particular reason to think it’s a feasible diet, but I don’t think experimentation has yet ruled this out. I gather OP is now interested in the k.i.s.s. recipe, but I thought I’d post this anyway.

Incidentally, I see that my worry about starch might be applicable to @jrowe47’s KISS recipe. As I said in my previous post, when I was living on a bread-based diet, I got heartburn, which I thought might have been due to my stomach being overworked trying to digest all the starch. I wonder if a similar thing would happen with this recipe, with its primary carb being corn starch? Seems potentially worth testing before placing a big order of something.

Corn starch is an easy one to digest - it’s used for children that can’t get anything else down. It’s definitely easy on the tummy. Also, hi! long time no see. Hope your Christmas went well :slight_smile:

Oh, that’s good then! Let us know how it is!

Yeah, I haven’t been around due to starting grad school. My life has been mathematical logic and little else. I had a cozy Christmas with my new girlfriend and her boyfriend visiting from New Zealand. Hope your Christmas was good too! :smiley:

Hmm I was actually looking into how to make it solid because the idea of making shakes doesn’t really appeal to me.

I am a little interested in the KISS recipe, I still don’t see major problems with the other one, but @jrowe47 pointed out a few potential problems, and it’s worth paying just $0.40 more to solve some of those.

I don’t think I can cook the KISS recipe because apparently cooked corn starch looses a lot of the benefits?

I’m curious if this can be made into bar form, and once I get it I’m gonna try it out.

Also if this recipe is successful I may try out the minimal price recipe as well, to compare the 2.

(Long term I think I will use these to replace breakfast and lunch, and about half my dinners)

You could pretty easily press it and the protein should hold it together well. I was thinking that it would be tasty like that. Cooked corn starch is going to be just as nutritious from what I know - it may break down the starches a bit and lower the relative GI, but with the decent amount of fiber, it should still be a healthy GI rating. Wheat protein is actually used specifically for making things chewy and holding them together.

My only concern is the balance of omega 6 to omega 3 oils. It’s low on 6’s but really high on 3s, which might be fine, but I need to read up more on the subject.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. And I could store them in the fridge to have them keep solid a little bit better.

I can probably make a week’s worth a time like that, and that idea really appeals to me.

Replace an appropriate amount of oils, carbs, and protein with peanut butter, chocolate, vanilla flavoring and cream, or whatever else suits your fancy, and you’ve got some pretty darn good snacks.

With the right flavoring and significantly reduced carbs, you might get a decent meat substitute.

Alright I got my paycheck and just started to try and order things, and realized that honeyville doesn’t ship to canada. I was looking at replacements, but most seem to have slightly different nutrition facts, so I’m going to have to rework the recipe a bit. I’m going to try to work in some peanut butter and possibly honey (I got a place where I can get excellent raw honey for $10/KG so I’d like to use that)

Honey is fructose which is not good as a significant source of carbs. I don’t know what the official recommendation is, but I’d keep it at 5% or lower of the total amount of calories.