Please Soylent 2.0 Powder!

Why can we not get a powdered version of Soylent 2.0. I mean 1.6 does not taste good and 2.0 to me taste awesome.

Is is really that hard to make a Powder Version on Soylent 2.0?

I think it is that hard. I think that the closest the company can get to powdered 2.0 right now is called 1.6. If it could easily start selling powdered 2.0 it would do that right now.

Guess: making a powdered 2.0 is easy! Making a powdered 2.0 that you can actually mix with water at home without the equipment they have in the 2.0 factory is hard.

I wonder if it’s possible to turn the liquid into a powder using the same process that creates powdered milk.

I’m guessing that some of the ingredients in 2.0 wouldn’t survive dehydration. I thought when 2.0 came out that RL said some of the oils could not be powdered, and it wouldn’t be unusual if other components had trouble also.

I don’t know. The fats/oil in milk don’t seem to have a problem getting powdered.

It might be a logistical (cost?) issue.

Powdered milk does not have the same nutrition as liquid milk, because the powering process destroys some of the nutrients. I don’t know about the fats in particular, but since milk and 2.0 have different fats, even if the fats in milk can be powdered that doesn’t mean that 2.0 can.

Links are easy to find. Here is one as an example.

I mean, they could go back to the separate oil thing like pre 1.4… but I don’t see why they would make a powdered 2.0. The whole point of 2.0 is to be a liquid version… otherwise it would be 1.6. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, right off the bat:

Fresh milk has superior flavor – you’ll definitely notice a difference in taste if you drink plain reconstituted milk – but it has a shorter shelf life and higher cost than dry milk

I don’t know what they’re talking about. Powdered milk has a superior taste in every way I can perceive. At least the really good brands, like Nido, when compared to typical liquid milk you can buy at grocery stores in major Canadian cities.

As for micronutrients, I don’t know if these are really problems for Soylent. They are added after the fact anyway. (aren’t they?).

I love how often this forum helps us re-discover that different people like different tastes.

Yes. That statement was particularly startling. If powdered milk did taste clearly better than fresh, I wonder why whole complex systems of delivering fresh milk would exist, on several continents?

What I am wondering is why Nido is not popular at all in North America (except within some minority communities? I can only find it at Mexican/Chinese/middle-eastern stores).

All the other powdered milk I’ve found in North America taste awful. Same applies to store bought liquid milk (which is not “fresh” by any measure). It’s almost like they are all diluted with water or something. I remember the milk I drank back in the Middle East had a much superior taste.

But to answer your question, I think powdered milk tends to be more expensive (since it has to be processed and imported from Europe).

But even then, I remember powdered milk being a common house hold item in the Middle East. Can’t speak for other regions, though.

Powdered milk doesn’t have to be processed and imported from Europe. We actually have cows in the US!

The links to Nido said that in California Nestle was developing “zero-water” factories that didn’t use any local water, only water from milk! That gave me the impression that they were producing powdered milk and using the water from that process.

We have cows in the middle east too! But no factories to produce the milk powder.

I don’t know about the North America but since powdered milk is not really popular here, I was kind of doubting it.

It seems to be popular in Mexico though (and maybe California?), so maybe they do have a milk powdering factory there.