Possible Allergy

Does Soylent contain enough soy for it to cause an allergic reaction?

I have never been known to have any food allergies. And I drank Soylent for about 25-40% of my diet for over a year with no issues. But as it has slowly become 75-90% of my diet, I have suddenly developed eczema on my skin and the dr cannot explain why. Could the Soy in Soylent be causing this all of the sudden? How long would I have to go off of it to determine if Soylent was the cause or if it was something else?

I don’t know, but just keep in mind that if one event happens after other, It does not necessary that one is causation of other.

Have you changed any other thing? Sometimes companies change say how soap is made also.

It’s less likely to be soy, since Soylent doesn’t use the whole soybean, just the soy protein isolate extract, but anything is possible. If this started happening within a week or two of the increased Soylent, it’s possible that it could have contributed to it. It’s also important to note though that the research I’ve looked at states that even in people with Soy intolerance, the eczema was caused by other factors, such as peanuts or pollen.

The Eczema Foundation also notes the following common triggers:

• Metals, in particular, nickel
  • Cigarette smoke
  • Soaps and household cleaners
  • Fragrances
  • Certain fabrics such as wool and polyester
  • Antibacterial ointment like neomycin and bacitracin
  • Formaldehyde, which is found in household disinfectants, some vaccines, glues and adhesives
  • Isothiazolinones an antibacterial that is found in personal care products like baby wipes
  • Cocamidopropyl betaine used to thicken shampoos and lotions
  • Paraphenylene-diamine, which is used in leather dyes and temporary tattoos, among others

It’s also important to not take long hot showers beyond 10-15 minutes (and shower should be warm not hot), moisturize your skin every day with a good fragrance-free lotion such as Aveeno, try not to overstress and find ways to relax such as guided imagery and exercise, use hydrocortisone on the areas that itch so that you don’t scratch as that will make it worse, and stay hydrated as always.

Cold and dry weather can also trigger eczema, which is why it’s important to keep moisturized every day (Aveeno Aveeno). It can also potentially be some chemical in your fabric or your couch, as some couches have anti-fungal chemical coating, which caused me to have a massive eczema outbreak all over my back years ago. Consider all of these variables, stay calm, cover your couch with a blanket and wear a shirt, moisturize, hydrocortisone, see if things improve and if nothing else then try scaling back the Soylent.