Possible Idea for Reducing Phytic acid and increasing digestibility of oat powder

So, I have been reading a lot about the issues of phytic acid inhibiting the bio-availability of nutrients in oats. I know that the flouring and soaking will release more phytase and break that down, but nonetheless it may be worthwhile to find ways to break down the oatpowder a bit before adding it to the mix. I had an idea for a convenient way to do it, I’m going to try it at some point but I thought I’d throw this out there.

Basically, I was thinking you could measure out your flour and put it in a coffee filter, put some water in your coffee machine, and let it “brew”, then add both the oat powder and the “oat water” back into your soylent. It might be worthwhile to add a little vinegar to the water, but I’m not sure. I would like to see how this affects the digestibility and mixability of the oats.

Update: If you are using the full 400g of oat powder, you will probably need two coffee machines to do this. Also, the amount of water necessary for this is more than I usually put in my soylent, so I will probably have to condense it down after it brews to use it as the liquid in my soylent. I wouldn’t recommend discarding the water, because most of the fiber in oats is soluble, and therefore some appreciable portion of it is likely to leak out in the brewing. This fact presents an interesting possibility though. If it is true that most commercially available forms of fiber somehow block the absorption of maltodextrin, while the soluble fiber in oats does not, someone wishing to add oat fiber to the drink while cutting down on some of the other potentially disagreeable consequences of the oat switch could use the method to make an “oat tea” and use that as a fiber source. Of course, we will have to do some research/testing to learn how much fiber is leached out by steeping the oat powder.

hmmm, it seems that the oats are so absorbent that the water doesn’t really penetrate through the top layer in the coffee machine method. Perhaps one would do better to stir the oats into boiling water, but that is less convenient. Maybe using smaller batches would work. Trying something else.

Yeah, I would say for now this is a failed experiment. I tried stirring occasionally, but it seems like the path of least resistance for the water is to flow along the surface of the mass, leaving a powdery core. However, the parts that did get a good heated soak, have formed a sort of paste that mixes much better. Next I’m going to try something else.

@Sofor9 - How about putting thoroughly stirred oat-stuff and water in a crockpot set to “low” and leaving it overnight?

FWIW, I’m not using oats, or maltodextrin, or whatnot. The crockpot recommendation is just a shot in the dark. I’ve got my own not-Soylent mix I came up with before I found out about Soylent which I have been using as a breakfast replacement. I’m not even bothering to modify it to make it into Soylent, I just ordered a month’s supply from the crowd-sourced campaign and will wait for that.

If one has any concern at all about phytic acid, there seems to be no easy alternative to soaking and subsequently cooking the oat powder – preferably with some freshly ground buckwheat flour or rye flour added to the mix, because the oats themselves have little phytase, and it’s phytase activity that you’re looking to promote by soaking the powder. Rob has now stated that he’s not bothered by the phytic acid issue. For my own part, personally I still am concerned, because I consume not only a lot of oats but also a lot of peanut butter, both high in phytic acid. It’s a knotty problem, one which I’m afraid the mainstream nutritionist bunch have yet to confront. Let’s face it, what gets studied and emphasised is determined largely by fad and media attention; many issues like this one just get ignored, perhaps precisely because such a problem can be at once quite pervasive (so many foodstuffs contain phytic acid) and lacking in easy silver-bullet solutions…

This problem seems to be being addressed in animal feed by just adding more phytases, but I’m having trouble finding information on how much you’d want, and in finding a small-scale domestic commercial vendor in any case (i.e. one who doesn’t want to ship in tonnes from China).

I don’t think there is any harm in adding pure phytases to our products, can someone comment on that?
I am trying to discuss if that makes phytic acid beneficial here