Possible to add fat to soylent to make it keto?

this may be a dumb question, because I know soylent has lots of carbs, but would it be possible for an individual to add lots of fats to soylent like MCT oil, fish oil, etc to make it ketogenic?

how many grams or calories of fat would need to be added to offset the amount of carbs?

even if the final mix would not be ketogenic due to carbs, is it safe to add these fats and consume it long term assuming the calories would be burned and not lead to obesity? I remember reading some studies about high fat diets mixed with high carbs correlating with risk for chronic disease.

if this doesn’t seem like a good idea, what is the community consensus on the best pre-made ketogenic soylent available for purchase in the US?

OK, I’m no expert here, but I think you put your finger on it with “soylent has lots of carbs”: Keto isn’t so much about extra fat as it is about fewer carbs. What you say wouldn’t work, you would need to remove the carbs from the Soylent, and there’s no practical way to do that.

There are a bunch of keto soylent recipes in the diy area. At least one of them has an offer to send you premixed samples if you want. You should probably look into them.

Wms is correct that you can’t make normal Soylent keto by adding fats.

Regarding commercial options in the US (assuming you don’t want to do DIY), the best depends on what you want.

However, if you don’t mind adding your own fats and don’t need a vegan or hypoallergenic option, Ketochow is probably best. If you need a vegan or hypoallergenic option, try Keto Fuel by Super Body Fuel. Or if you want a product that comes with the fats included, try Ketoone (it comes with oil bottles which you add to your shakes).

There are some other options such as Biolent keto (from Canada), but the three I outlined above are probably better in terms of shipping time.

If you want a paleo ketogenic option, Primalkind recently started shipping to the US, but shipping may take a while, and also be pretty expensive as it comes from New Zealand.

Regarding addition of fats and health risks (other than obesity from Calorie excess), too much fish oil (and hence polyunsaturated fatty acids) can actually increase inflammation, and too much MCT oil can cause gastrointestinal distress. One of the best option for an oil to add would be olive oil, as it isn’t primarily monounsaturated fat, which has no negative effects on health even in very large amounts, other than those caused by excess Calories.

If you want a ketogenic soylent then you can either go with a recipe from the DIY site or order Ketosoy. Trying to use Soylent just won’t work.

True, Soylent has too many carbs to ever become Keto by dilution… But adding oils to increase the fat% is certainly possible. I was doing this for a while with 1.5 and light olive oil. Since my daily calorie budget as an athlete is closer to 2800kcal, I could conceivably add 800kcal of fat although I never took it that high.

My goal was never to go Keto but rather to shift more of my energy calories from carbs to fat in an attempt to become a more efficIent lipid oxidizer for long distance running/cycling endurance. I never had the hardware to test the effectiveness so it’s unclear how much effect (if any) the added fat had. On some long work outs I might feel my endurance was improved but that could be psychological. I did feel it hurt my speed work and found extra carbs to be beneficial on those cases.

Long story short, I’ve given up on this experiment although I still seek out a 40-50% unsaturated fat diet. From a practical perspective, cleaning out the takeya is much easier with plain 1.6 than 1.6 + oil…

You can always mix ketolent and soylent to get the ratio you want.

Keto Body Fuel sounds pretty legeet. Has anybody ever tested it for arsenic since it has brown rice protein? probably wouldn’t be a big deal. I really like the ingredients of this one better than all of the others. price is good too. some of the micronutrient levels sort of scare me though. 80 percent of the daily value of manganese in one serving? why???

Also, I was slightly concerned about Ketochow using acesuflame potassium, as some say it causes an insulin response in rats. Once I get into ketosis i would like to stay there, so I’m not sure if ketochow is best? I’m new to keto so I don’t really know what’s up, if somebody could help me through this mental conundrum I would really appreciate it

I know a few people on Keto body fuel… I’m on my 2nd (large) bag of light fuel and am really enjoying the chocolate.

I’m unsure if arsenic has been tested, but I know one of the heads of the company has done extensive testing on the micronutrient content (e.g. Iron) of the rice protein used, and I’d imagine he tested arsenic too if there was any issue.

Regarding manganese, this is very common. Oat flour is very high in manganese, but there has never been a case of manganese toxicity from food sources. Incidentally, I remember hearing Soylent 1.5 had the same issue, but they only labelled the added nutrients, they didn’t include the ones in ingredients like oats or the protein (or at least didn’t for 1.5).

Regarding the sweetener, I can’t say for sure, but the guy who runs Ketochow has been using his own current recipe for months (the previous version didn’t have it in) and has not reported any issue with him being in ketosis (which he has been for a couple of years now). No guarantee of course, but a good sign.

Both Keto Fuel and Ketochow have recently switched to an improved micronutrient mix which uses optimal intake levels (as opposed to a straightforward 100% RDA), and Ketofuel is aiming to also use the most bioavailable forms (generally glycinates for minerals). This will lead to some high percentages on labels, but don’t be put off because neither come anywhere close to upper tolerable limits - they just use more updated science in their recipes.