Powdered Milk, lowfat - How complete are the proteins?

Has anyone considered using milk powder as a massive component of their soylent?
Is this immediately a very stupid idea because milk contains only short sugars as carbohydrates? And they cause gas too?
Is this immediately a bad idea because the proteins in powdered cow milk are totally incomplete, and not easily supplemented with rice or pea because of just how skewed they are?
Is this immediately a bad idea because even the lowfat version gives all the worst fats?
Will the limiting factor for the amount to add be the calcium?

I can’t really tell if these are actual or rhetorical questions. With regards to the proteins though, they are very complete. The solids in milk are mostly protein. As you likely know, milk protein is about 80% casein and 20% whey proteins. Whey is complete by all standards and has amazing bioavailability. It is also an antioxidant. (I know that some debate the value of antioxidants on this forum.) Casein is complete as well, though it is a bit low on one amino acid. (Forgot which one atm.) Though casein has bad connotations (as a carcinogen) due to The China Study by T.C. Campbell, these concerns are unfounded. I have personally done massive amounts of research on casein to make sure it is safe.

With regards to the other questions, yes lactose is probably not the best thing for you. And calcium is definitely the limiting factor. As for the fats, I don’t see the issue. Yes, they are saturated, but I don’t see this as a negative. However, I haven’t spent much time researching fat in milk because it is not one of my ingredients.

Haven’t been able to find actual amounts of oxycholesterol, but as a function of cholesterol, it would obviously be massive in the full-fat powder, and much less in the low-fat powdered milk.

If lactose is an issue, why not powdered goats milk? And I overcame the calcium amount by simply not supplementing calcium powder.

I’m trying to go mostly keto (under 30g carbs per day) with my soylent and powdered whole fat milk is my biggest source of calories. Needless to say, I had to reduce the milk powder amount because of lactose issues.

How cheap is powdered nonfat goats milk, in industrial quantities?

In addition to Calcium, milk contains a ton of Potassium, so much in proportion to Calcium, that it actually becomes the limiting factor, as seen here: http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/greece-1

Another reason not to use whole powdered milk is potentially in my post above, because is gets oxicholesterol as it heats passing through the sprayer nozzle for powdering.

I wouldn’t say it’s cheap. About 9 bucks for 12oz is the cheapest I can get it for. I use full fat powdered milk because I need the fat for energy as I don’t consume many carbs.

I haven’t had issues with the potassium levels, I haven’t even had to eliminate the potassium gluconate I’ve been using to supplement. Though I’m also not using more than 70 grams of powder a day…

Yes, and in this case it is very important to see how much gets oxidized, because full fat milk has loads and loads of cholesterol, so even some 20% of that oxidizing would pretty much mean no person in their right mind should ever touch full fat powder. Why don’t you get your fats separately?

Well, because no one was kind enough to let me know this was an issue! Call it a lack of research on my part. I mostly just was interested in not having to constantly shake the beverage because of how well the powdered milk stays… well… milk.

Looks like I need to do some reformulating.
Is there an alternative you can suggest?

Nope, I am just here to spread panic :grinning:
Seriously though, just trying to be overly cautious, as here we pick ingredients that people take very small amounts of, and make them a staple of our daily diet. So something like silly powdered milk might accumulate dramatically.
My current plan is nonfat powder, and regular oils, possibly suspended in maltodextrin, or mixture of all of my maltodextrin and non-fat milk powder. (powder-suspended oil)

I was thinking of
Olive Oil
Flax Oil
Coconut Oil
and a little Omega3 fish oil

That’s very similar to the fats I’m planning on using:
Olive Oil
Mct Oil (from coconut)
Canola Oil
small amount of Omega 3 fish oil

I would really prefer to use flax oil over canola but am concerned about two things. First, I am concerned about PUFA oxidation, particularly during shipping when the oil is not refrigerated. Second,this meta-study about ALA and prostate cancer

I understand that correlation does not equal causation. Another flaw in the analysis is that the sources of ALA are not known in most cases. It does give me enough pause though to use canola oil (cold pressed to minimize oxidation) Do you think that canola is plenty good, (I should have a 3.5 to 1 ratio of O6 to O3) or should I reconsider flax.

The issue of flaxseed oil rancidity can be solved using whole flax seeds, their shelf life is great. Just grind them in a coffee grinder prior to use.
Better to stay away from canola oil. Olive and flaxseed let you achieve the same ratio than olive and canola, but with a lower amount of PUFA.

More on topic, in my opinion phosphorus is a much more limiting factor than calcium or potassium. Other than that and the amount of carbs, milk is great.

Meow meow, but how to get rid of everything except the oil?
Because, really, WHO KNOWS what might be out there on that seed!

As long as were still discussing oils… I would prefer not to use whole flaxseeds because of their fiber content. I remain unconvinced that fiber is dangerous in normal quantities, but my recipe already has plenty from buckwheat flour. Is flaxseed oil something that must be bought locally? Or will it survive shipping in an unopened opaque bottle?