"Protein Powder: The Hot Silicon Valley Trend That Could Be Dangerous"

Likely as a result of the recent NY Times article, here is a story by Yahoo Health about how “tech workers” (or anyone) can overdose on “protein powders” and cause damage to their kidneys and other things if they eat too much:

“Protein Powder: The Hot Silicon Valley Trend That Could Be Dangerous”

Why do they insist on continuing to call it protein powder?

This quote from the article seems especially demeaning:

“Techies might know a lot about computers, but nutrition…not so much,” she says. “It really doesn’t take a lot of time to eat a healthy sandwich.”

It’s ironic, isn’t it?

I find it humorous that there were so many people (on here and other places) that voiced their concern with the low level of protein and now there are a bunch of articles calling it protein powder.

I remember the good ol’ days when reporters actually did some amount of research before writing an article.

Typical non-techie “normal” people nonsense. They act like we’re all idiot savants that can count spilled toothpicks like magic but can’t figure out a sandwich. Whatever helps them feel smarter than the “smart” people, I guess.

Terrible reporting: misreads and misunderstands an article, and then gets quotes from experts based on that misunderstanding.

My favorite quote so far.

Protein powder, i.e. protein in a powdered form

Thank you for the clarification.

OMG! I didn’t get the connection until I realized that the “protein powder” article was actually about Soylent, in addition to related products.

I couldn’t let this go without responding in the articles comment section:

"Is the author of this piece referring to Soylent as a protein powder solely because the word “Soylent” contains the letters s-o-y in the name?

Soylent is not a “protein powder”. It contains protein, along with carbohydrates, oils, fiber, and all the other constituents of that stuff we call “food”. At least some of the other so-called “protein powders” cited in this article fall into that same category.

I mean, really … could journalism possibly get any lazier? Will the next article be about all the canine meat in hot dogs? Will the next article lament the “ham” in hamburger?"

The New York Times article from a few days ago upon which this article is based made reference to “protein powder”, which is probably where the author got it from. However, they took it to another level without ever verifying if what they were talking about was actually “protein powder”.

Wait… Yahoo still exists?

Definitely surprising.