Quality of Life Apps

I’ve been using a couple of new programs lately that have helped to improve my computing-quality-of-life. This is totally off-topic to the forum but I was talking to some co-workers about the subject and I realized that a lot of the people here spend a lot of time in front of computers for work (or otherwise), so consider this a PSA and an invitation to chime in with your own must-have recommendations.

One of them, f.lux, is pretty well known. The application syncs your monitor’s hue to match the time of day, providing softer, warmer light in the early morning and evening to give your eyes some rest and make it easier to fall asleep at night. From the site:

During the day, computer screens look good—they’re designed to look like the sun. But, at 9PM, 10PM, or 3AM, you probably shouldn’t be looking at the sun.

f.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer’s display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

The other app that I just picked up is called “EyeLeo” and is great if you’re prone to spending long stretches at the computer uninterrupted.

EyeLeo reminds to take breaks regularly, shows you simple eye excercises and prevents you from using computer at break times. Following EyeLeo’s regulations will result in less physical fatigue.

The program allows you to configure periodic short breaks (a few seconds long) to rest your eyes or stretch, and longer breaks at longer intervals (a few minutes long) which dim your monitor and give you time to stand up or walk around for a bit. The severity of the interruptions can be tweaked from complete lockdown to just a friendly reminder.

Both are free and lightweight. Hope this helps someone!

Thanks.

f.lux is interesting and nice for work laptop, especially if people don’t see sunlight direct sky/light from the workplace.
EyeLeo is available only for small number of operating systems and developers doesn’t seem to be interested in wider support. But I liked the idea.

Thanks for these suggestions - I’d been using f.lux already, but I started using EyeLeo upon your recommendation and it’s great! :slight_smile: I have a lot less eyestrain problems when it’s active.

Only problem is, I just got a Mac and EyeLeo is Windows-only. I can’t seem to find a Mac equivalent that focuses on eye exercises. Do you know of one?

Or does this mean I need to write one myself and put it on the Mac App Store? :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought i was the only one using flux (dont ask why). Glad that others know/using it :smile:

Yes: “Offspring”

Daddy look at me! look at me!

I vaguely remember seeing an alternative sometime before I wrote this post but it looked a lot less useful so I have no idea what it was.

My thoughts exactly! Care to fire up a github repo? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m leaving the bits I wrote above but I just found this which should work for you: http://www.dejal.com/timeout/

Thanks @nwoll27, Time Out looks helpful, but not everything I’m looking for, as it doesn’t have built-in eye exercise reminders, just reminders to take a break. Though it looks like you can easily extend it with custom scripts, so I may give that a shot. :stuck_out_tongue: