Question about feeling full

I haven’t tried it but to the people who’ve been trying it I want to ask about how much it fills you up.
For instance, I find a drink of orange juice or a smoothie can fill me up a very small amount. A chocolate bar or a bananan fills me up a bit more than the drink mentioned. And then of course a meal steak and potatos fills me up way more than enough. And if I eat so much in one go past that full point obviously I usually need to go the toilet soon after. I just snack all day and have dinner.

So if anyone gets my type of idea of full up and you’ve been going on soylent what’s it like in terms of filling up. Is it a snack feeling or a meal feeling or is it so efficient that it’s literally like a sip of it is a snack and a large drink in one go or two feels like you’ve just eaten a meal. Can you get that full up feeling from it the same feeling you get finishing a plate of steak and potatos for example ie full up?

Btw I’m not making any controversial statements. I’m not saying it’s like a snack or equivalent to eating steak and potatos (that was just an example to express my point anyway). I’m just asking questions.

A glass of soylent fills me up quite well. How much you have to drink to fill you up depends on how thickly you mixed it; but “a glass of soylent fills you up” is basically a true statement. This depends on the recipe; there needs to be a good complement of soluble and insoluble fiber for it to feel maximally filling. For you to stay feeling full a couple hours later, there should be a good complement of low-GI carbs.

One reason it may seem intuitively confusing that soylent is filling, if you haven’t tried it, is that you may imagine soylent as being completely liquid. In fact this usually isn’t true; usually there are solid particles floating in the drink. I have a feeling that completely liquid soylent would not feel so filling; and a physiological explanation for this may be that such a drink could not possibly contain any insoluble fiber.

If your formula is good, then you should feel satiated after a serving. Simple as that :slight_smile:

The thicker, the more filling - that’s a good way to put it for me. Now that I think about a meal;s full up ness goes away after about 2 hours or so; not that long really. I’d thought about it since asking and I kind of reasoned that surely it must just be however much you put into yourself ie however thick it is. Otherwise it would be quite miracle like for a water-like liquid to be something that makes the stomach feel full up like it’s digesting something.

I just started, but I consume my morning soylent around 6:30am, and I do not get hungry before lunch. It’s really dependent on what’s in your soylent.

Like the others said, it has to do with what’s in your Soylent blend. My blend keeps me sated for about four hours. I drink mine at 0830, 1230, 1630, and 2030 and typically have 12-16oz of water right before drinking it.

Anecdotal:
I made the mistake of not drinking my shake immediately,and it expanded like crazy. It made it impossible to drink, but at least I have a visual idea of what happens in my stomach and why it keeps me full so long :smile:

Another thing to consider is, it probably won’t stuff you. I hate to admit it, but I used to frequently overeat. There is a different between sated and stuffed for sure. Make sure you aren’t confusing the two.

I cut about 500 kcal out of the “Hackerschool” version when I started mine, and I still feel plenty full after a glass. As long as you have enough fiber, feeling full should not be a problem.

Are all of the DIY recipes following Rhineharts recipe but just say using whey or something that provides the same chemical? Are people changing the chemicals he’s recomended because isn’t that risky somehow as I read somewhere the slightest changes can be dangerous. I’m going to buy the chemicals now when I find Rob Rhinehart’s open source thing and surely just go with his formula (male) regular?

Anon: It’s important that you don’t approach this from the standpoint of following someone’s recipe. That’s where you get into danger territory. Learn about yourself and your needs. Learn about what can provide your body what it needs. Then when you need to make modifications or changes, you are doing it from a better place.

Rob’s formulation uses a protein isolate that is neither soy now whey, since he says it’s allergen-free and vegan. This is important because he’s going to be selling it and can’t know what everyone needs and his needs to be incredibly precise to serve as many people as possible.

Versions some of us are making don’t need to make those same concessions. I’m using a fortified soy protein because I don’t have issues with soy, and this protein has many of vitamins and minerals I need. While I could vary the amount of carbs by changing the sugar, or fats by changing the oils, I can only do this because I know everything they’re providing. I also know I can’t modify the soy without seriously screwing things up or having to make massive adjustments I’m not willing to make.

But if Soylent’s going to become a product won’t everyone who buys it be following one recipe? one or two (male, female, diet) ie it’s not tailor made.

How risky is it trying Rhinehart’s formula? I imagine there’s only so much awareness you can have of your own physical/mental sensations but there could be unnoticeable stuff going on that you’d have to be aware of by studying nutrients etc. Is his formula going to go through official tests to be considered safe or not ie changes will be made to it?

Btw again i don’t disagree with you about knowing and paying attention to physical state. I’m trying to work out how risky this is because I’m pretty sure I read Rhinehart say that a slightest change in measurements to the formula had drastic results for him.

Rob is making two formulations, one for men, and one for women. He is being incredibly precise, working with dieticians and nutritionists, and every ingredient is already FDA approved. It should be as safe as any food. The thing to remember is that everyone is different. Soylent probably won’t be an ideal solution for everyone, but it could be for many.

My point was that if you’re going to go the DIY route (as I did), you can’t just jump in and use someone’s formula without knowing what you’re doing. I don’t think you need to know all of the chemistry, necessarily (you can stand on the shoulders of giants), but it doesn’t take much effort to learn what you need to learn, and there are a lot of tools at your disposal that can help. I just blogged about how I went about it, actually. I started by going to Cronometer.com and figuring out a nutritional profile that would give me what I needed while also helping me to lose weight.

You couldn’t let me know/if anyone knows where Rob’s Formula of exactly what to buy is? I saw it somewhere I believe but can’t find it. That his official formula that he gave the test subjects like on youtube videos you know.

The formula is still in “beta,” so the exact recipe is not posted yet. He has promised that the recipe will be open-sourced once completed.

Thanks. Although wasn’t Rhine’s first formula posted somewhere?. I’ve seen the what’s in soylent page but want the exact things that he bought ie a list of instructions just like a recipe. Has he listed that anywhere? Ie the alpha formula that he tested on himself and gave out to a few people (in those youtube videos of people testing it). I’m comfortable trying out that if i can make it exactly.

As horrible as people are to their bodies, it’s hard to believe that soylent could really be worse.

The body is resilient. You can experiment with the different recipes.

He never gave an exact recipe with what to buy, here’s what he posted on his blog when he first talked about what was in soylent.

I am reticent to provide exact brand names and instructions because I am not fully convinced of the diet’s safety for a physiology different than mine. What if I missed something that’s essential for someone of a different race or age group? Also, the cost is low but some of the ingredients are hard to find and/or must be purchased in bulk which can be an investment, and some of my suppliers are quite small and would have their stock depleted if many people rushed to purchase the exact same item I did. I think it makes more sense to test this more thoroughly, and then produce it at scale.