Question about Proposition 65 "warning" in FAQ

It’s also on page 3 of the release notes in the 1.5 changelog

2 Likes

That doesn’t count. It needs to say something like:

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Holy crap that seems a little strong

For those who don’t live in California, these are pretty much all over every store/restaurant.
I dont’ think soylent has one of them :

Ars Technica article on the lawsuit: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/watchdog-group-says-soylents-cadmium-and-lead-levels-violate-ca-law/

3 Likes

Since this thread is directly related the below thread.

4 Likes

Yes, it is strong. I bought weight lifting equipment recently and found that warning on the weight plates.

Don’t eat the weight plates, ladies. They are full of heavy metals.

7 Likes

Damn straight. I only eat fully-organic light metals.

2 Likes

That made the (former) Chem 101 student in me smirk.

2 Likes

From The Verge: “Here’s what’s going on with Soylent’s lead and cadmium controversy

2 Likes

It’s funny, this same warning is on a bottle of Stone Arrogant Bastard beer. Not because of anything in the beer, but because they use red ink on the outside of the bottle and the red ink contains some cadmium.

http://www.stonebrewing.com/images/beers/arrogantbastard/labels/back.jpg

5 Likes

This prop 65 warning reminds me slightly of the gluten free label. You see it in the most ridiculous places. So far in this thread it’s been reported to be on a beer label because of the label itself and exercise weights. I believe I’ve even seen it at a gas station.

What I want to know is why the thresholds for these metals are so far below the thresholds set by other health and environmental agencies.

1 Like

For red ink? Really?

This shit gets more and more ridiculous.

Why is this even a thing? I always knew there were a bunch of nuts in California, but this is truly ridiculous.

If I was selling a product, I would truly contemplate not selling it in California just to avoid this nuttiness.

4 Likes

Heyyyy

1 Like

I am sure you are one of the non-nuts, horsfield, haha. It is just so discouraging to see crazy laws like this dictate policy for the rest of the US.

Also, I didn’t mean to imply all Californians were nutty, just those who support laws such as these.

2 Likes

California is the almond capitol of the world!

4 Likes

Don’t those have traces of a poison in them too?! :scream:

4 Likes

American air has about 0.18 ug/cubic meter of lead.
You breath about 0.009 cubic meters per minute (sitting).

• 60 minutes * 24 hours
    = 2.3328ug of lead by breathing every day.

Thus air is 4.6656 times the limit of proposition 65.

*Numbers come from using quick google searches and rough calculations.

11 Likes
5 Likes

There is something to be said for that depending on your industry, doing business in the US as a private company plan to allocate 40% of compliance costs to Federal regs, 30% of compliance costs to California regs, 20% of compliance costs to New York regs, and 10% of compliance costs to the other 48 states.

Towns that border Cali, and especially ones with international airports like Yuma and Reno, have booming warehousing and shipping industries from companies trying to flee California regulations while still serving the 38 million people in that state. Yuma is a particularly good example of industrial build up right to the state line and then crop fields across the river because it’s suddenly California.

6 Likes