Question about the Oat Powder switch

This is a question for anyone who has made the switch to oat powder and reduced maltodextrin, though I would of course appreciate an answer from Rob if you get the time.

Because my interest in soylent is largely due to the fact that it may be a solution to a complex and rare neuro-gastroenterological condition I am suffering from, a large part of my goal is to minimize the amount of “actual food” that has to pass through my colon to avoid triggering painful and debilitating spasms that have pretty much messed my whole life up. Having been on Soylent for a couple weeks, I’m optimistic about the effects in this regard, after having gotten over some initial difficulties.

However, since Oat Powder is “actual food”, does that mean that it would produce more waste? Can anyone who has done an all-soylent diet attest to the effects of Oat Powder relative to the original formula on the amount, and consistency, of your bowel movements?

Although I haven’t tried it yet, I’ve looked into it and added it into my plans. Oats fit perfectly in my formula/spreadsheet and reduced total cost of soylent by 30%. Here is something interesting:

As in all grains, oats contain phytic acid in the outer layer of the bran. If untreated, phytic acid can bind to minerals like calcium and block their absorption. Thus, high diets in raw or uncooked whole grains may lead to mineral deficiencies and other health risks.[20]

Soaking or cooking (and thus softening) these whole grains allow enzymes and other organisms to break down and neutralize phytic acid so that it won’t bind to the body’s essential nutrient when consumed.

In addition, unprocessed grains are still seeds that contain certain compounds that stop the enzyme activity of germination to help them sprout at the right time. This makes it possible for these whole grain seeds to pass through the body undigested. If not fully prepared, the raw oats will still carry these compounds into the body and hinder digestive enzymes. Soaking or softening these whole grains make them more digestible and gives the body access to all of its nutrients.[21]

sorce: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oat

soaking seems practical. Also I believe oat flakes are more accessible and cheaper than powder, so maybe one could buy the flakes, soak them for a few hours, put them in the blender or food processor and turn them into powder. If someone tries this before I do please reply with results. :slight_smile:

One thing about the powder is that you can purchase a gluten-free version for those who may be gluten intolerant or allergic. It may be somewhat more expensive. There’s a Bob’s Red Mill brand on Amazon that seems to have a positive rep. http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Gluten-22-Ounce/dp/B003LPKETS

Even oats not advertised as gluten free should have little to none. Oats themselves don’t contain gluten, they just tend to be contaminated with it. From Wikipedia:

Additionally, oats are frequently processed near wheat, barley and other grains, so become contaminated with other glutens. Because of this, the FAO's Codex Alimentarius Commission officially lists them as a gluten-containing crop.

So, oat powder is the same thing as oat flour…does this open the possibilities of other flours working as part of the carb portion of soylent? Some research is warranted, personally I would like to find a source with as little micronutrients as possible, to not mess up my other amounts. Thoughts?

I actually prefer the amount of micronutrients in oats. In theory at least, assuming the nutritional facts of oats are correct and bioavailable, the following nutrients are contained in 170g of oats(my daily dose):

• Iron 8,5mg (completely covers my iron needs! will try to get all my
    iron from oats and see if it works)
  • potassium 730mg (18% of my rda, very handy as potassium gluconate is expensive for me)
  • phosphorus 890mg (similar case as iron)
  • manganese 8mg (UL is 10mg be careful)
  • magnesium ~300mg (makes a nice combo total of 400mg with the 100mg chelate from my multivit)

also helps reduce protein and fat cost as it has 19g and 13g of each.

by the way I chose 170g of oats per day to avoid overdosing manganese and magnesium.

nice isn’t it? :slight_smile:

That is interesting. Is this info from the label of the package you bought, or where?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5708/2

So, no one has tried it and can comment on my question?

Soaking oats and blending them doesn’t work. I did that for a while when I was making homemade weightgainer shakes for my lifting (protein powder, oats, bananas, peanut butter, and milk). Kudos to you if you can find a way to do it, but I always ended up with a final product that sank to the bottom of the bottle like the Titanic and congealed into a huge blob.

I grind rolled oats in a coffee grinder. I tried cooking first, then blending, but did not like the texture. There is clearly a change throughout the day as the oats soak in the mixture. As a former home brewer, I learned that enzymatic reactions are highly dependent on pH, temperature, hydration, and time. In addition, be aware that DRIs and RDAs make assumptions about bioavailability which includes the action of phytic acid. In many cases, phytic acid seems to work as a buffer for many minerals which might otherwise be toxic in the levels found in plants. Discussions of iron bioavailability are interesting in this regard.

Rob’s long term use of soylent with oat powder seems to indicate the phytic acid is not a serious problem, except perhaps for sulfur compounds.

I just started yesterday, and I’m using a combination of Oat Flour (120g) and brown sugar (72g) for 168g of total carbs.

It doesn’t sound to me like your concern is with “food”, but I am not a doctor or nutritionist. The only thing your body will pass through entirely is fiber or anything else that was unprocessed by your body. It sounds like what you would want to do is reduce your fiber intake to almost nothing. Rob had done this earlier, and it sounds like he was a few weeks between bowel movements. Eventually he found this to be problematic (I don’t know that he specified exactly why), and switched to 40g of fiber.

To solve Tai’s problem of the blended oats (or any separation at all, really), some Soy Lecithin is a good way to add Choline as well as emulsify your final product.

Sofor9, I have been using oats, as well as a small amount (5g per day) of added soluble fibre (acacia). I found that maybe every 3 days I need to pass something analagous to rabbit poo but a bit bigger. Basically a load of little round balls about 2cm diameter. This is actually not particularly easy as there isn’t much to push against, if you get my drift. I don’t know how much of this result is a consequence of the oats or the fibre.

I will take out the fibre for a few days and try my best to remember to report back to you at the end of the week.