Question for gas sufferers

I tried my first week worth of Soylent, and experienced the sulfuric gas issue that has been mentioned many times… (Went 66% soylent - 2 soylent meals, 1 solid meal for that week).

Decided to give it more of a chance, because I really do want it to work, so I ordered another month’s supply.
My question is, for those of you who have experienced gas while using this – does the problem really go away after the first week, as many have suggested?

I didn’t experience an unbearable amount of gas, but found Beano eliminated what I did.

I don’t know about going away after the first week, as everybody seems to have different adaptation rates. However they do seem to be less severe after an adjustment period.

It varies from person to person. My gas is persistent, but mostly settles into the evening. Mine also varies from day to day.

Going into week three, definitely much less severe (I can survive a workday at the office) but not gone entirely. The gas quantity has gone mostly back to normal but the unmistakable smell is pretty much still there after a Soylent-rich day.

I typically have an iron stomach so I probably haven’t experienced the worst of it, but that smell is deadly.

If I go a day or more with 0% Soylent, when I start back the gas is always worse than when I first started Soylent.

If you want to stay in nutritionally complete food paradigm, but do not tolerate gas - you may try some DIY-formulas with different source of carbs. Rice based formulas are the best for that.
You may do it by yourself or choose one on Powdered Foods Marketplace.

You should change your forum name to spamman

I have never personally met Spaceman; I’ve never had any offline interaction with him; and I have never consumed any of his product.

When he first started marketing Spacefoods on these forums, he was unquestionably in spam territory. He was asked to back off, and I believe a few members have even tried to help with his language (his native language isn’t English). He has backed off, he has clearly tried to change his language, and in my opinion he has gotten much, much better.

As someone who was really irritated with the shipping priority changes (instead of giving priority to original backers, size of order was given priority) I was immensely grateful when he and several other entrepreneurs stepped up to fill the gap that Rosa Labs had caused. Since I’m also one of the folks who is not satisfied enough with official Soylent, I’m also immensely grateful that there are viable alternatives.

Spaceman’s post was highlighting a specific problem that some users are encountering, and providing one potential solution, a solution which is not limited to his products and could be completely DIY.

In other words, I see no problem with his comment, but I am starting to find complaints about his comments problematic in and of themselves.

I had gas before Soylent, and continue to have it with Soylent. The difference is that the smell of the gas is noticeably worse. I think that gas is getting better and my body is adapting now, but I don’t know whether or not it will go away completely.

Which might indicate @Spaceman has yet to find the proper balance. Personally, although I find his approach to be on the aggressive side, it’s not reached the point at which I would complain, but I completely get why it rubs some the wrong way. However, I prefer to err on the side of diversity than uniformity. :japanese_ogre:

I had wretched gas at first, along with near-diarrhea. After two weeks, bowel movements improved and the wretchedness of the gas died down, though the frequency of the gas stuck. It’s been a little over a month, and at this point the stench of the gas is back to being somewhat normal, and the frequency has died down to only slightly elevated.

It’s going to really vary from person to person. For myself it took about a month for things to settle down a bit and even then a lot of that was probably due to habit changes. I try to drink it slower and my bowel movements on Soylent are different. I’m used to infrequent movements every couple days while on Soylent they’re much more common. If I keep up with them the gas issues aren’t as bad.

Against all suggestions, I went into it cold turkey. As part of a challenge, I’m not eating any regular food this week. The quantity of gas isn’t particularly high for me, but it still smells pretty bad (I’m on day 4). Does that ever go back to normal, or does the smell persist? The other unpleasantness for me is the lack of… waste volume. If doing this long term, I’d probably want to augment my diet with celery, carrots, or the occasional salad.

[quote=“Exordium01, post:14, topic:16539, full:true”]
Against all suggestions, I went into it cold turkey. As part of a challenge, I’m not eating any regular food this week. The quantity of gas isn’t particularly high for me, but it still smells pretty bad (I’m on day 4). Does that ever go back to normal, or does the smell persist?[/quote]

That’s what I originally set out to find out by posting this… So far the consensus is that it’s different for everyone…
I’ll post my findings as well in a few weeks, as my month supply shipment just arrived. Must say, I’ve missed the taste of this stuff… Not necessarily the smells though, once it’s processed by the body.

[quote]
The other unpleasantness for me is the lack of… waste volume. If doing this long term, I’d probably want to augment my diet with celery, carrots, or the occasional salad.[/quote]

Same problem here… Figured with all the fiber Soylent has, and the fact that we dump a vial of oil into the mix - that this wouldn’t be a problem… Figured wrong…

[quote=“Exordium01, post:14, topic:16539”]The other unpleasantness for me is the lack of… waste volume. If doing this long term, I’d probably want to augment my diet with celery, carrots, or the occasional salad.
[/quote]
People don’t realize how much of solid food is just waste product once all the nutrients have been extracted.

Has anyone tried adding probiotics? Or maybe just enzymes?
(to see if either helps with the excess gas some people experience).
Maybe Beano, but I’m not sure it’s the right enzyme needed for the ingredients in Soylent. Amylase would be, for the oat flour.

If you do a search on “Beano” you will find multiple threads in which it has been discussed. It’s helped some soylenteers and had no effect for others.

Ditto the search for “probiotics” and you will find much existing discussion. The general consensus is that they aren’t necessary, therefore not appropriate to add to Soylent. Some people are adding them, or supplementing with them, for a wide range of reasons, including gas-reduction. (There is also a sizable sub-set of Soylent users interested in nootropics; like probiotics they aren’t necessary so won’t be added to Soylent in the near future.)

And a search for “Amylase gas” shows several threads with both words, including one DIYer who did not find any reduction in gas when he used Amylase in his formulation, but did when he swapped out the gas-producing ingredient.

The discourse Search functionality can be accessed with the magnifying glass in the upper-right corner. It used to not be particularly helpful, but codinghorrer has greatly improved it over the last few months.

I’m eating mostly Soylent and I’m getting a pretty ordinary amount of “waste volume”.

No problem first day, blew the wallpaper off the bedroom walls day two. Two Beano with each meal of soylent for the next two weeks, then one each meal, now one with breakfast. No more major problems. I am 100% soylent on one day and 66% the next.

For me, small sips throughout the day really do help, even though I would prefer to drink a large quantity and then nothing for a few hours. But drinking more than a small amount at once brings on the bubbly guts.

I’m using a Contigo insulated bottle* with a push-to-sip button and a small hole to sip from, which helps me not drink too much Soylent at once.

The downside of continuous sipping is perpetual post-sugar aftertaste; having water at hand for frequent rinsing of the mouth helps.

Thanks to @vanclute for many of these ideas.

(*available online or in supermarkets; I like the one with button lock to prevent accidental pushing of the button; the unpainted stainless steel ones are entirely top-rack dishwasher safe per the instruction sheet (despite what is printed on the bottom of the mug itself), however clumps of Soylent can remain trapped in the button gasket and mechanism of the lid if not carefully cleaned out)