Questions for the Soylent Campaign

Good news everyone! The campaign is going awesomely. It got me thinking about a couple questions for Rob & the Soylent team that I thought everyone could benefit from.

• Will the updated nutrient list be released?

• I can understand keeping it internal for the duration of the campaign, as it can only help the push to bring down bulk costs with a single ‘focus,’ but there doesn’t seem to be any word on this as yet.

• Added to this, I’m surprised there’s not a campaign contribution available to the DIYers who would benefit more from the nutrient / recipe list, especially those in foreign countries where it may take longer to ship out to. This could allow for additional campaign donations, and further individual customization.

• When ordering, no additional body type specifics are requested; does this mean a ‘one recipe fits all’ solution has been found, or will this information be requested before delivery?

• In previous press and blog updates, it’s been noted that there were distinct differences between male & female recipes. In particular with regard to iron, folic acid, and calcium, it seems unlikely that a completely generic solution has been found.

• I also understand the need to get a ‘generic’ product out for the set up of manufacturing, but figured there would be one or two options available dependent on the individual.

• The current price seems high compared to blog quotes and other DIY implementations. Are there other facets to the price aside from manufacturing and shipping that have been taken into account?

• I can understand a certain level to cover manufacturing and shipping costs, and that it is in fact a fundraiser, but it also made me wonder how much the recipe itself has changed. See also question 1.

• As of this writing, two additional contributions have been added for two and three months, with only a ~$6 and ~$8 saving compared to the single month, and ~$9 savings over a single week for both. With as high of a cost as they are, it doesn’t seem like there’s as much incentive to go for two or three months, especially if the price will end up going down within that time period.

The current price seems high compared to blog quotes and other DIY
implementations.

They are not prices, they are donations. You just happen to get something back for it - it’s like buying a little flower to stick on your jacket from a charity for $5. You KNOW the item it’s not worth the money - you’re doing it either to help the cause, or because you REALLY want that flower for some reason. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s worth noting that the two and three month options don’t have free shipping, there’s a good chance you’d be better off buying multiple single months than a multimonth.

…right, I understand it’s a fund raiser, which is noted on the bullet point after the statement you quote.

That said, calling them simply ‘donations’ isn’t actually accurate, either. Like many other crowd funding efforts with an actual product in mind, it is both a fund raiser as much as it is selling a product. You get the ‘privilege’ of being the first adopters just as much as you are helping fund the initial cost of development.

My point was simply in questioning how much the core cost of soylent has increased since the original quote months ago for ~$150 a month.

Hello mrob,

Our chosen manufacturer is helping us put some final touches on the formula to make it more stable and easier to manufacture. Once these have been incorporated I will open source the ‘official’ formula. This is also a legal grey area as we cannot explicitly recommend people make it on their own as it can be a liability if they make a mistake. A properly worded disclaimer should take care of this. I wonder if plain old GPL is good enough.

The first run will be a formulation for an average sized male, which seems to cover most of the interest anyways. Immediately after this run we will do women’s and then start customizing for different body types.

Yes the price is inflated to cover up front manufacturing costs. It will certainly lower with time. Also keep in mind that it includes shipping, which is not cheap for a product of this volume and weight.

Overall thank you for the support!

Have you thought about selling Soylent without carbs, proteins and fats? Those are rather easy to get locally, one could adjust the calorie intake, and even few month’s supply of Soylent would make rather small and light package.

What’s more, I’m sure that some of us would be glad to be able to buy all the chemicals separately. (Well, we can now, but not from one source and not without problems.)

Yay to that!

In many countries you are probably going to have problem with too much potassium gluconate/citrate due to stupid regulations which you won’t change. What are you going to do with that? Simply use KCl (AFAIK it isn’t limited anywhere)?

Soylent for certain diseases possible?

Our chosen manufacturer is helping us put some final touches on the formula to make it more stable and easier to manufacture.

Great as long as the quality does not suffer from it!

Have you thought about selling Soylent without carbs, proteins and fats? Those are rather easy to get locally, one could adjust the calorie intake, and even few month’s supply of Soylent would make rather small and light package.

That would be great, yet a little more complicated as different forms of macros (e.g. oatmeal vs maltodextrin) also have different micro-profiles. This may be expected as soon as customization happens, but with determined sorts of macros that you have to add.

Have you thought about selling Soylent without carbs, proteins and fats? Those are rather easy to get locally, one > could adjust the calorie intake, and even few month's supply of Soylent would make rather small and light package.

That would be great, yet a little more complicated as different forms
of macros (e.g. oatmeal vs maltodextrin) also have different
micro-profiles. This may be expected as soon as customization happens,
but with determined sorts of macros that you have to add.

If the formula still includes only a part of the carbs as oats and a part still as Maltodextrin, I suppose a solution to this would be to sell without proteins and fats and with only base carbs (via the oats). Short of someone wanting ketogenic soylent a certain amount of energy is needed to survive either way, and one could then just add Maltodextrin to “taste”.

The first run will be a formulation for an average sized male, which seems to cover most of the interest anyways. Immediately after this run we will do women’s and then start customizing for different body types.

I’m glad I didn’t go for the two-week supply – as a female, I’m not sure the current formula would be a great food replacement for me. I might try the one-week supply, though, as an experiment – it’s sure to have some benefits! I look forward to the custom formulas.

It would be nice if the first batch included personalized instructions, though, since I understand you have to make the first batch with one recipe. For example, I’d like suggestions for foods a female should use to supplement the male-oriented batch.