Quinoa Soylent formula

NOTE: This Soylent is still untested!

I’ve decided to try and make a Soylent based on quinoa flour, which is classified as a super-food (whatever that is). One of the reasons I decided this is that quinoa is rich in proteins.

My formula is located here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aut8uzaonmPOdFdKMy1pcVlvSXAxSDNSSWltRFBJdVE&usp=sharing

The spreadsheet is based on one from this thread:

I used the idea to have a custom vitamin pill made, as suggested in another thread (which I can’t link because I am a visitor and only allowed two links - its name is “Anyone tried vitaganic.com? Custom vitamins and minerals”)

I have tried to make the formula simple, both in terms of number of ingredients and number of vendors. The vendors I used are based in Europe, except for the one making custom vitamins, as I am from Denmark.
The price is £123 or $185 per month, excluding delivery costs.

Right now, I am looking for some feedback before I order the items. So - what do you think?

Yeah I made that topic. :slight_smile: Im from Denmark too! So nice to see other danes around here, could be nice to have a small local community. I’m soon finished with my vegan soylent recipe, with supplements primarily from iherb.com. Your’s look pretty good right now. Maybe we can compare both of our recipe’s after, and see pro’s and cons for both? If you have facebook you can add me by seaching for: andreas.johanson.509 or just Andreas Johanson, Odense.

Isn’t the cost on quinoa way more expensive compared to oats?

It also has more nutritional information than you list in your spreadsheet.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5705/2

Hah, I didn’t realize the same person suggested the custom vitamins and the quinoa flour - and you’re even from the same country as I am, how random :smile:
I’m very curious to see your recipe - I’m assuming its also based on quinoa flour?

Ado: One of the points to using quinoa flour is that it also covers the protein needs, which in total may reduce the cost - at least, it reduces the complexity :wink:
And thanks for that link, I’ll update my formula to match it. This will probably mean I can remove some components from the custom vitamins :smiley:

I went ahead and ordered a 3-month batch of this. It came out more costly than calculated due to delivery - quite a lot more expensive actually. The total came out at about £516 (compared to the estimated £370 in the spreadsheet), where the £144 was for delivery of the quinoa flour only! That is, 28% of the total price is for delivery of one component!

It’ll be interesting to see how this experiment goes. We are two people in my household who will be taking a 30-day nearly Soylent-only diet - I am slightly underweight, and the other person is slightly overweight. I am not so fond of food, and the other person is very fond of food (surprise!).

UPDATE: Amazon miscalculated the delivery cost, meaning I get a large refund, which brings the total to about £398 for 3 months, or $600.

Just curious on how your experiment went with Quinoa.

Regards,

Ado

Hi Thorr, I am also curious about your experiment,if your first month goes well, I might give it a try also… (I’m from Denmark too, and I have been looking into ways of getting started on soylent)

Have you guys looked at the Amino Acid profile of Quinoa?
It isn’t a complete protein. You will need to substitute something else in to make it a complete protein.
When I was playing with quinoa before I was supplementing it with spelt and teff to get a full protein from it.

Apologies for my slow reply - I’ve been very busy.

To be frank, it has not gone so well with my quinoa soylent experiment. I find that quinoa has a slightly unpleasant taste when ingested as a shake. This can to some extent be mitigated by cooling it, but this would reduce the portability of soylent, as I would be required to have access to a fridge or freezer at all times.

Instead I’ve been experimenting with making crisp bread from my recipe, while not adding all of the ingredients as the heat from baking would damage the vitamins. My very first attempt came out very well - so well that both me and the people I live with, all ate it like it was candy. My further attempts didn’t come out so well though, so I am struggling to recreate the success.
One of the advantages of the crisp bread, is that it is very easy to get the amount of salt I need - in fact, a high amount of salt is good in crisp bread.
When and if I succeed in creating a good recipe for quinoa soylent crisp bread, I will report back with that.

@Tordenskjold As you can read above, along with the fact that this recipe is expensive compared to most others, I would not recommend quinoa soylent.

@HarveyDesu Do you have a source for that claim? From my knowledge, quinoa does in fact have a complete amino acid profile (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/10352/2).

TL;DR: I do not recommend this recipe for a shake due to unpleasant taste - it is also expensive. It might work as crisp bread (or crackers) though.

When the quinoa flour was in your shake, had you cooked it prior to putting it in? There’s been a lot of discussion about the need to cook raw starches lately, and if you haven’t, doing so might improve the taste.

It seems to retain a lot of the taste after being baked, so I don’t think cooking it will remove the flavour - maybe reduce it. But if I’m going through that, I might almost just as well make crisped bread, which from my point of view holds several advantages to the shake:

1. Its easy to get the needed amount of salt.
  2. Once baked, its easier to transport and store than a shake.
  3. You can snack on it all day long.
  4. If you want, you can top the crisp bread with some vegetables for flavour, which may be very nice for the taste buds once in a while.

But thanks for the suggestion :smile: