Raising HDL Levels

I just received the results of my first blood test since starting Soylent about three months ago. A little background:

I drink Soylent twice a day, six days a week. Half a serving for breakfast, and a full serving for lunch.

Along with exercise, Soylent has helped me lose 30 pounds in three months.

My blood results were all normal, and my cholesterol was down to 144 from 205. However, my HDL’s are low (33, when > 39 is normal and > 59 is considered healthy). My doctor recommended more omega-3s, which I’m getting already from the Soylent. Does anyone know if Soylent provided enough omega-3s or if I should be supplementing? Are there any other foods I should be eating to raise HDLs?

Thanks!

Have you tried any of the things on the website below?

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/how-to-boost-your-good-cholesterol

How much of the oil are you adding? You eat half a bag a day right. So half a bottle?
Perhaps… you could simply add the entire bottle to a day… (you would end up running out of them though heh) or eat plenty of nuts (and maybe a little extra omega 3)

Also exercise if you aren’t doing that already.

[quote=“soyguy, post:1, topic:18785”]
Does anyone know if Soylent provided enough omega-3s or if I should be supplementing? [/quote]

My oil bottles w/ 1.3 say “Contains 180mg DHA, 90mg EPA”. I’ve got no idea what “enough” is though. I’ll be honest, if my doctor told me to take more omega-3s, I’d probably just buy some fish oil pills rather than figure out what foods to eat.

Thanks for the responses!

[quote=“horsfield, post:2, topic:18785”]Have you tried any of the things on the website below?

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/how-to-boost-your-good-cholesterol[/quote]
I actually do most of those already: Exercise frequently, losing weight, eat salad and nuts, and don’t smoke. The only one I don’t do is drink alcohol.

[quote=“Tordenskjold, post:3, topic:18785”]How much of the oil are you adding? You eat half a bag a day right. So half a bottle?
Perhaps… you could simply add the entire bottle to a day… (you would end up running out of them though heh) or eat plenty of nuts (and maybe a little extra omega 3)[/quote]

That’s correct, each day I drink half a bottle of the oil. I don’t want to drink any more than that since I trying to keep my calories down.

I’ll probably end up doing this. I haven’t much liked fish oil pills in the past since I tend to get a bad case of the “fish burps” and I generally hate the taste of fish. But I guess it’s better than a heart attack :smile:.

Well, there’s also vegetarian omega 3 pills made with algae instead. More $, but probably no fish burps?

[quote=“soyguy, post:5, topic:18785”]
That’s correct, each day I drink half a bottle of the oil. I don’t want to drink any more than that since I trying to keep my calories down.
[/quote] You will have to add those extra calories from oil/fat regardless, it is what you are missing to get the HDL levels up… (besides perhaps a little extra exercise), you would still get those same calories from oil/fat if you ate enough nuts, fish or omega 3 pills. (the pills/capsules are just a container that you can swallow with oil inside).

Well, half a bottle of oil with half a bag of powder makes sense for someone eating half a bag of Soylent a day. Adding extra oil would require obtaining extra oil somewhere. What oil would you suggest adding, keeping in mind the goal of getting the HDL levels up?

@soyguy, try adding some salt to your soylent.

I’ll have to look into those and see what they cost. It’s also been a few years since I tried the fish oil pills so I think I will give those a shot again also.

I’m very sensitive to the taste of salt - I tried adding a very small amount and it completely ruined the taste for me. Also, I haven’t seen anywhere that salt has an effect on HDLs. Do you have a reference?

My HDL levels have been similarly low since I started replacing half of my calories with Soylent.

Actually, yes.

In other words, salt effects HDL. Second link talks about replacing the sodium with other mineral salts if I understood it correctly… which it then concludes is not a bad way to lower the blood pressure…

@Soylent in light of people reporting low levels of HDL, combined with the fact that salt is a factor… I still believe you need to raise the sodium a little more or find another way to up the HDL levels… (this isn’t the first post I seen with people having their HDL levels drop while on Soylent). Am I wrong or does this actually seem to be a possible long term danger? the current 1050mg Sodium is “low”, recardless of taste.

@soyguy any chance you had your sodium levels checked? should be about 135 to 145 mEq/L normally from what I could find, or about 310-340 mmol/L http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Blood_values_sorted_by_mass_and_molar_concentration.png

I just wanted to chime in to this topic that in my most recent blood test after being on soylent for about 2 months (80% of my meals or so), my HDL was also on the low side. I exercise 3-4 days a week, so I found this a little concerning. I will start trying to add salt to my diet in the form of salt tablets and see if that helps

Next time you get your blood tested, could you for reference also get the sodium checked?.. I wish to get it either confirmed that it is or isn’t the culprit.

Interesting, I just checked the blood test, my sodium level was 142, which is in the proper range of the recommended 135-146 mmol/L

EDIT, and my HDL was 34, with the preferred reference range being >=40 mg/dL

A beer a day keeps the doctor away :smile:

As far as fish oil goes I recommend Nordic Naturals. They add a mild citrus flavor. Mixed with Soylent you will never notice it or the fish taste.

https://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Products/Product_Details/514/?ProdID=1431

Oh well, guess sodium levels in the blood is a dead end then.

“mEq/L” I hope :slight_smile:

Not necessarily. It could be sodium intake that’s important not blood sodium levels.

I just copied and pasted what was in the blood test results

They were normal (140). Thanks for the links, by the way.

I’ll be getting my blood tested again in March, if there aren’t any improvements then I will start supplementing.