RDA of Vitamin D Should Be 7000IU Per Day, Not 600IU Per Day

According to a press release from Creighton University the current RDA for vitamin D is incorrect due to a miscalculation.

In a letter published last week in the journal Nutrients the scientists confirmed a calculation error noted by other investigators, by using a data set from a different population.

I’m assuming based on the following statement that they still believe the current upper level intake of 10000IU per day is correct.

This intake is well below the upper level intake specified by IOM as safe for teens and adults, 10,000 IU/day,

Adjust your intake accordingly.

That is a rather large difference.

It’s worth noting that the two authors involved in this research are members of a pro-vitamin-d group called GrassRootsHealth and that the data present is derived from the GrassRootsHealth database. This is stated openly in the academic paper.

I haven’t died of D-ficiency yet so I’ll keep going like this, thanks.

They just want to give everyone the D.

Except that the IOM’s UL for Vitamin D is 4000 IU, and 10,000 IU was not specified as safe.

Details, from the IOM report DRI DIETARY REFERENCE INTAKES: Calcium Vitamin D, Committee to Review Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin D and Calcium at the National Acadmies Press site:

The observation that 10,000 IU (250 μg) of vitamin D per day was not associated with classic toxicity served as the starting point for adults; this value was corrected for uncertainty by taking into consideration emerging data on adverse outcomes (e.g., all-cause mortality), which appeared to present at intakes lower than those associated with classic toxicity and at serum 25OHD concentrations previously considered to be at the high end of physiological values.

That being said, the LPI recommend an intake of 2000 IU per day. I’ve been on supplements providing 2000 IU per day for a long time, and when I had my bloodwork done in June of last year (pre Soylent), my serum D level was at 29.6, a hair below the reference range of 32-100 ng/mL. It was the only item on my bloodwork out of ideal range.

Also, even brief sun exposure in summer generally produces high levels of vitamin D, especially for fair-skinned people like myself. Vitamin D intake versus sun exposure versus blood levels seem to be rather individual.

I hope the team responds to this. Taking a daily vitamin seems to defeat the purpose of drinking Soylent…

Specially in places with less sun exposure… Such as canada or scandinavia

This is interesting, especially since the EU nutritional reference value for Vitamin D is only 200IU.

Are you sure about that larry? People can read dead people.

Read Dead Redemption is my favorite Xbox 360 game, I’m hoping for a sequel announcement at this year’s E3.

Might not be the worst thing if they are a bit cautious about the amount of Vitamin D in soylent. It is, after all, a nutrient that is largly independant of diet (being primarily synthesized in the skin) and so they cannot assume all Soylent users will have the same base levels.

Then again, I have a severe deficiency and take a 50,000 IU loading dose once a week so “normal” vitamin D levels are not my area of expertise :slight_smile:

My vitamin D was around 10 (I think the low end of normal is 32) and I’m an early 30’s male.
Taking more vitamin D had a noticeable improvement on how I felt day to day.
It took me several months of supplementing and eating my work lunches out in the sun every day to get it up to the low end of acceptable.

I supplement 3000iu of a liquid one I got on amazon, on top of whatever I get in soylent, and I make portabella mushrooms and drink milk so for some people it’s not easy to get it up. 10,000 sounds like a lot though

I’m another one that follows Vitamin D stories because I once had a debilitating encounter with the deficiency. I first suspected it when I looked up “bone ache” on Google (this was about 8 years ago). That was in addition to a crushing fatigue. I know that 400 IU (which was the standard) is way too low so I try for 2000 IU. 7,000 IU seems higher than anything I’ve read about.

I once volunteered in an event that required standing out in the hot sun all day. I got a doozy of a burn (I’m a glow-in-the-dark white person) but for the next three weeks I enjoyed freedom from the pain and the fatigue. During the summer I try for an occasional 20 minute flood of sunshine. Normally I live like a vampire though.

Eve

How did you come to that conclusion from this thread?

Salutations, fellow vampire :smile:

I work at night so in the summer I get about 20 minutes of sun per day tops and in the winter I can go weeks without seeing the accursed daystar.

I believe he was referring to the inconvenience of taking a vitamin D supplement rather than getting what is necessary from soylent only.

Worrying about hitting the arbitrary “daily values” number is rather silly. Most people don’t need to get ANY vitamin D from their diet. If you get even a small amount of sunlight each day you probably are fine for Vit. D. This is mostly a concern for people like myself for whom sunlight is not always an option.

Aah, makes sense. I thought he was saying soylent is irrelevant because everyone can just take a multi-vitamin.

I don’t live like a vampire–I walk my dog some 90 minutes a day. But I’m very fair and freckled, nearly a redhead, and I cover the hell up. Even on the hottest days I’m wearing long sleeves and a sunhat. Last time I had bloodwork done my doctor prescribed supplemental D.

This is not exact, but it’s a good rule of thumb that from Nov to March, above latitude 34, Charleston SC, there isn’t enuf UVB rays to create D on the skin in. So ignore the morons who tell you to just “go outside” in the sun for a few minutes–sure, in the warm weather up north. Also, it is probably important to take vitamin K2 with the D to prevent, supposedly, the D from activating calcium as a loose cannon, so to speak, and lodging in soft tissue, such as arteries, and, instead, the K2 will deposit the calcium, which the D activated, into bone and teeth. Maybe too good to be true, but K2 is not a bad idea anyway. Take 45 mcg per 1000units of D, and some vitamin C.

I live in sunny southern California, and I go for a daily run. BUT the run is before sunrise, and I often stay inside except to check the mail. For days. My solar watch often dies for lack of sunshine. So maybe I’ll try the D + K2.