Recent blood results (Protein)

About a month ago, I had a routine blood test and the results were good in every way except for one. My doctor left a message telling me that everything was good except my protein levels and that I needed more protein. My lifestyle hasn’t exactly changed and the previous results didn’t notice anything like this. It could be because 1.4 lowered it’s protein quite a bit since the last version. I realize that everyone has their own nutritional needs but I am posting these results for awareness. Perhaps it’s just me or perhaps 1.4 really does have too little protein.

Just a heads up.

Hmm… I might re-test myself. I don’t feel particularly sore after working out and I’m still seeing progress, but who knows what’s going on under the hood?

What % of your diet is Soylent?

I get about 2400 - 2600 calories. 2000 comes from Soylent.

What does your 400 to 600 come from, generally? I ask since I am on majority Soylent with some protein supplements since I workout. I’m curious, for comparison’s sake, if your extra calories aren’t high protein then certainly Soylent may be too low and maybe I should up my extra protein intake just in case?

I like the General Blue, btw.

When I first got my supply of Soylent (1.3), after a few days I was feeling fantastic. I’d wake up refreshed, and I wouldn’t feel tired in the afternoon. After 1.4 came out I slowly started sliding back to feeling “normal.” I didn’t connect the two, but I found I’ve gone back to feeling really good after I started adding protein powder to my Soylent.

I’m losing weight, and just started strength training again after a long (long, long) hiatus, and I just saw for someone of my size (280 lbs, ~30% body fat), I needed somewhere between 120 to 150 grams of protein a day, where I was getting 80-90 without supplementing.

So, yeah, Soylent alone is great for an average person, but realizing what makes you not average is an important step in best utilizing Soylent.

Been on 1.4 for around 4 months now, 95% of my weekly calories. Never have felt bad. Feel pretty good. Weigh about 185, taking in 1500 cals per day (trying to trim up). Dont really feel like I have muscle burn/aches any more than I ever have. I only have 1 craving though, MEAT! I would punch a hole through my wall for a hamburger, or grilled pork chop. And im not even hungry, I just crave meat. I often wonder how much of my cravings are from the soylent, or from the 1500 cals per day.

My guess: you’re jonesing for protein. I’ve never been a big meat eater. But for a few years when I was younger I attempted to be vegetarian. At least once a month, I’d have to head to a steakhouse. That would satiate until near the next time.

Eve

Yeah, I had the same issue (as well as what I talked about above). I added protein powder, and it all went away. For your weight, and if you’re doing regular workouts, you’ll probably want at least 100 grams a day if not more. The rule of thumb I’m using now is ~0.7 grams of protein for every pound of lean mass.

1500 calories of Soylent is only giving you 63g of protein. If you where sedentary that would just beardy be enough to reach your minimum requirement of 67.12g/day. If you are active then your protein requirement will be higher. So its probably no wonder you are having protein cravings.

I am a 56 yr. old male and just had my annual physical and full blood panel. Last year everything was great. This year it shows low in protein. I take Soylent for 2 servings a day and I eat a regular lunch. I have lost some weight but I felt a little sluggish since I began the 1.4 Soylent. I hope someone is monitoring this thread. Men need more protein and different levels of nutrients than women in general, which is why I can’t see how this one formula fits all can really work. To get it right, I think there should be separate men’s and women’s formulas.

Men and women don’t need different amounts of protein. Both men and women need 0.36g of protein per pound of weight per day(0.8g/kg/day). I would suggest doing the math and making sure you are getting enough. Since you are not getting 100% of your calories from Soylent you can’t blame it for your protein deficiency.

As far as vitamins and minerals go Soylent is using the Daily Value (DV) standard which is designed to be gender and age neutral. It’s the same system used on every nutrition label you see in stores.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm064928.htm

That’s interesting.

To maintain healthy muscles and bones for adults, at least 30 g of protein should be consumed at more than one meal…A meal with at least 30 g of protein is required to initiate repletion of body proteins. Protein at breakfast is also critical for regulation of appetite and daily food intake.

A standard Soylent meal is only 21 g. @reeve11 Try adding 10-20 g of protein for breakfast.

I don’t think that quote is providing credible information.

Aside from the increased protein needs from weight training, my bet is on your experience being due to higher fat in 1.4. They’ve really packed a lot in…much more than I would consume in my normal diet.

The conventional wisdom has now shifted to fat being “not bad.” But setting aside long-term halth outcomes, it’s entirely possible that for you (or even for many) lower fat meals feel better. (And the supposedly slower insulin response with 1.4 might not make a difference, or might not even be the case for everyone. Who knows.)

horsfield - You should do your homework before you refute someone’s comments and give misleading information. Men do need more protein then women as well as different nutrition (100g Protein for Men, 70g for Women). These are basics that we are taught in 7th grade health class. One basic example of the nutritional differences is why you see different vitamin supplements specifically designed for men and women.

Since Soylent was meant to be all inclusive and eliminate the need for preparing foods, we shouldn’t have to spend additional time and money preparing it and doctoring it to be that way. Right now, it doesn’t have the proper level of protein to suit men or women, even if they took all their meals from Soylent (21g protein per serving). Two thirds of my meals are from Soylent, and now I’m getting less than half of what I need in protein as a man from those 2 meals. It’s requiring that I spend more money to either supplement the Soylent or eat an unusually high protein 3rd meal. Either way, it’s not properly balanced. This wasn’t necessary with 1.3. That was my point. This is why the need for having gender specific Soylent and for them to increase the level of protein in both formulas, because 1.4 is not sufficient as it is for either gender.

Check out these websites. There’s many more if you search for it.

Different Nutritional Needs of Men vs. Women:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/do-diets-for-men-differ-from-diets-for-women.html

Men Need More Protein Then Women:
http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/how-to-eat-healthy/#axzz3bz7Um0O0
http://www.bestproteinwomen.com/men-protein-women/

Reeve11, you should do your homework before bashing someone else. You should start by reading the content in the links you provided - because most of them support Horsfield.

I did check out several of these links. Several of them refer to the common standard of 2000 cals for women, and 2800 cals for men, and have protein scaling in the same ratio - both based primarily on weight.

The FitDay article, for example, puts it like this:

A fairly active woman who weighs 120 pounds needs about 2,000 calories per day. A man in the same age group and similar activity level who weighs 170 pounds will need closer to 2,800 calories each day.

One of your links - the http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/how-to-eat-healthy/#axzz3bz7Um0O0 one - puts out Horsfield’s position pretty literally. It says:

Since men tend to weigh more than women, their caloric intake is usually higher. [clip] … Protein requirements for men and women are essentially the same. Despite the current fads featuring high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets the human body doesn’t…

The last link provided, from getfrank.co.nz, literally calls what you say a myth. It says:

Dispelling the Myths

One of the biggest myths surrounding men and protein is that they need a lot more than women.

If you went into really detailed info, especially with higher-quality sources, what you’d find is this - the current best recommendations for protein requirements, whether for maintenance or for muscle gain, are generally calculated based not on total body weight, but on LBM. Because healthy and fit women naturally carry more body fat than men, their ideal protein number will come out slightly lower than men’s… but it’s not actually a function of being female, it’s a function of bodyfat ratio. A lean, athletic woman will require more protein, pound per pound, than an overweight man with a higher bodyfat ratio.

I’m surprised how often people post a bunch of links to support their argument, without looking at what’s in the links. I suspect part of your problem came from your assumption about what would be in the articles when you searched for things like “Different nutritional needs of men vs women” and “men need more protein for women.” When you search like this, you’re not looking for information to answer a question… instead, you’re looking for posts that support the conclusion you already have. Even when you do this, don’t assume that the articles that come up with agree with you - as you saw above, one of those articles was explicitly calling your position a myth!

Searching for your assumed conclusion is not a good way to learn. Instead, try asking the question - instead of searching on “men need more”, search for “protein needs of men versus women”, or better still, “human protein needs.” The last one - “human” will get you more sceintific and journal hits. “Men versus women” is tabloid magazine language.

When I searched on “protein needs of men versus women”, this was the top hit:

The Institute of Medicine estimates that, on the average, men should get about 56 grams of protein per day and that women should get about 46 grams…

The average man takes in 2,512 calories per day, according to the survey, while the average woman gets 1,778 calories. Men, who have more muscle mass, a higher caloric intake and larger bodies than women, need more protein each day. According to the Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, a young, active man needs 3,000 calories per day to maintain his current weight, but an older, sedentary man only needs 2,000 calories. The range for women is 1,600 to 2,400 calories per day.

This makes it more clear that the numbers are more about size and muscle mass than gender. These days, you don’t know who is an overweight man, who is a fit women, etc. Horsfield’s answer is probably very good advice… it would, for the average man and average women, pretty much give you the IOM recommendation of 46 grams for a woman average 125 pounds, and 56 grams for a man averaging 155 pounds, both fairly common healthy weights.

I did do my homework. Did you even read the information I gave? On average men need more protein because we are on average bigger and heavier.

You say that Soylent isn’t providing enough protein but you don’t eat all the protein a bag of Soylent offers. 42g of protein isn’t enough for anyone but 80g is more than enough for most sedentary women and men. If anything they need to make a formula for active users.

As far as micronutrients go Soylent is a food not a supplement. As such it should to be held to the same standard as other foods. The DV standard I mentioned earlier is that standard.

This is why I read things first, because I don’t want @MentalNomad doing that to me. On the other hand, it seems like one can illuminate any subject by ignorantly declaring something to be true.

When I hear sensational or grossly contrary things, I first search Google for it and learn what people are saying about it. Then I repeat that search with “skeptic” appended to my query and then “myth” to learn all the views against it. I’ve found that seldom do the proponents offer a more compelling argument.

Yep, info on the internet requires skepticism.