Recipe critique: 'official' inspired recipe with tweaked ratios

I’ve spent a bit of time over the last few days playing with a recipe for Soylent, based to some degree on the ‘official’ mix, but with a few tweaks:

• slightly more protein/fat and slightly fewer carbs (approx. 50/25/25)
  • 1:1 Omega 3:6 ratio
  • Omega 6 no more than 4% of total calories (based on recommendations from here)
  • Low sodium/potassium

At the moment I’m pretty happy with what I’ve come up with (although I’m concerned about the inadequacy of the nutrition facts for most products). My main thoughts are:

• I’m especially interested if anyone has experience of using cod liver oil in DIY recipes, and whether its as unpalatable as I can imagine it would be…
  • Are the fat ratios sensible? I’ve found a lot of conflicting information about how much polyunsaturated fat should be used, and where the rest should come from.
  • Whether 125g of whey is too much whey… should I add a different protein source for a bit of variety?
  • Also my Vitamin A is pretty near the max (it was, for a time, some way above the max, I had to change to cod liver oil source to bring it down).

I’d really appreciate any thoughts/comments/suggestions anyone has!

Edit: oops, forgot to link: http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/oats-whey-n-maltodextrin

Edit: my latest revision has removed the cod liver oil because it was pushing my vitamin A into the danger zone. Flaxseed has been added as the replacement Omega 3 source, and conveniently provides another source for fibre and a few minerals.

Link your recipe if you don’t mind, makes it easier to critique.

Haven’t tried cod liver oil, but I believe brand choice can make a fair difference in taste from what I’ve heard.

Maybe mix your oils if you can to bring it down, or reduce your source of o6 if you can to try and get at the ratio on the other end. Be careful with excess vitamin A, especially chronically.

Thanks for the feedback, even despite limited information! I’ve edited my post with the link.

I currently weight 80kg so I was aiming for ~120g of protein for fitness reasons. I will do some more research on the Cod Liver Oil, and see if I can bring down the vitamin A. Know any multivitamins that don’t have A? Elsewise I can go to plain old fish oil.

I thought i remember reading something against using scottich oats or steel cut oat because…they were harder to digest? was that it?

Hey there @connec
I was looking at adapting your recipe for my own (somewhat different) nutrition profile, and I have a question about the ingredients that you’re using. When I visit BulkPowders.co.uk and look at the nutrition information for the oats, I see only a few bits of info:

Nutritional information per 100g:

Energy: 1525kJ, 361kcal
Protein: 11g
Carbohydrates: 61.1g
of which sugars: 1.5g
Fat: 8.1g
of which saturates: 1.6g
of which mono unsaturates: 3,8g
of which poly unsaturates: 2.7g
Dietary Fibre: 8.5g
Sodium: 0.03g
Iron: 0.004g

Yet when I look at the nutrition info on the oats from your recipe on diy.soylent.me, I see other things too, such as quite a bit of sulfur and magnesium… Where did the extra information come from? Did you request more information from BulkPowders? Was there more info on the actual packaging? Or did you get that ingredient from some other recipe, and maybe someone at some point filled it in incorrectly?

I notice that a few of the ingredients have a similar discrepancy, and was hoping you could clear it up for me… I’m not trying to be nit-picky – I just want to be sure I’m not missing any important nutrients before I spend a bunch of money and possibly risk my health with this fun kitchen chemistry project :grinning: :stuck_out_tongue:

My adaptation is at http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/oats-whey-n-maltodextrin-simplified, and since I took out some of the mystery nutrients my numbers aren’t adding up anymore, so advice would be welcome.

Hi @mclaypool, you are right, I took a lot of the nutritional information from nutritiondata.com, and some from Wikipedia. The reason why is because all products (except the multivitamin) had inadequate nutritional information from their vendors (Bulk Powders in particular have very limited info, typically only providing macros).

diy.soylent.me has some existing values for ingredients which I typically referred to also, but I struggled to trust them over nutritiondata.com.

I’m not especially happy with this, as there is almost certainly variance between whatever samples nutritiondata.com used and the products i’m using, but in the absence of any authority they seemed like the most legit source.

I’m not sure if what I’ve done is ‘best practice’ in this regard, but the available data on everything except mineral/vitamin supplements is typically woefully lacking.

Interestingly, the BulkPowders description has this little nugget: Additionally, these Ultra Fine Scottish Oats contain other vital nutrients such as calcium, zinc, iron, folic acid and vitamin E. However, none of this is mentioned in their nutrient info :stuck_out_tongue:

Oats and not Oat flour, partially debranned right? I looked at their Oats numbers earlier, but they weren’t lining up with what BulkPowders claimed per 100g (389 kcal vs 360 kcal, for example) so I wasn’t quite sure how to approach that. Did you set up some sort of ratio to scale the NutritionData numbers down to match the BulkPowders numbers?

On a separate note, have you made this recipe yet? I’m wondering how it tastes… Does the maltodextrin make it sweet at all? Do you ever add extra flavoring ingredients (sweetener, cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon, etc)? What’s the texture like? Some people have mentioned that recipes with oats are better after sitting an hour or so; are you finding that to be the case? Does the psyllium husk make the texture thick and gloopy or is 20g pretty insignificant? I guess if you haven’t made it yet, we might end up finding all this out together :grinning:

That’s a pretty interesting idea… all I did was copy the values. On review it seems for oats I took the macros from Bulk Powders (on the assumption that their data for their product is the most accurate), and the rest from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oats#Health). I’m considering switching the data to that from nutritiondata.com since it’s slightly more conservative on most nutrients.

I’m not sure what the ‘right thing’ to do is, I’ve read about people asking Bulk Powders for more detailed nutrition info, but don’t think they saw any fruit.

Unfortunately not, but I’m pretty settled with how it looks now and I’m going to buy the ingredients this weekend for a first batch on Monday or Tuesday. I don’t have too high expectations for the taste, though I think oats can help stabilise the flavour. Anyway I’m planning to get some cinnamon/cocoa (also read recently about nutmeg) to play with. So this may well end up a joint experiment! I’ll definitely keep the thread updated with my findings.

@connec By the way, I noticed that your target for potassium was only 2 g. I think that might be a bit low… The RDA for adults is 4.7 g per day. Apparently it’s supposed to stay in a ratio with sodium, and although your sodium target is lower than mine, it’s not that much lower. I could be talking out my nose, but I figured I’d mention something just in case :smile:

Yeh, that’s currently an intentional deviation (as is the sodium) for health (kidney-related) reasons.

Well, I ordered my powders today :slight_smile: I’m in Poland, so I’m not quite sure how long it’ll take for everything to get here… Very exciting though :slight_smile: The nutrients look like they line up but I’m a bit worried it’s going to taste like liquid death :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll have cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and sucralose on hand, and if necessary hopefully they can mask a certain amount of yuck :grinning:

So all my stuff arrived:

And I have just made my first meal!

I actually find it fairly palatable, the only ‘flavour’ I can really taste is the oats, which whilst bland is not unpleasant. The mouthfeel also isn’t too bad, though it is bitty enough that I find myself chewing instinctively. So far my biggest qualm is that everything settles whilst I’m drinking it, so if you don’t shake it well regularly the last 100ml is pretty gloopy.

I made a bit of a mess making this one, since I was trying to make a single shake (1/3 of a pill is tricky!), and the bottle blender, whilst a cool idea, was far too thin to get the mixture in cleanly. So I’m going to get a better blender (probably this one), and a decent sized tub for mixing a day of powder, as well as some containers for storing multiple days worth.

So tomorrow I’ll hopefully be a bit more prepared, and I may play with the flavours a little as well. I don’t think it’d take much to turn this into a fairly tasty shake!

Woohoo! Awesome news :grinning: I’m can’t wait to get my ingredients so I can play too!

You know, unless you’re crushing ice you don’t really need much in the way of a blender. £45 seems a bit excessive just for mixing powders. You could probably just get a cheapie blender and be fine. (On the other hand, if you’re planning on making a bunch of smoothies ignore what I just said.)

Mm, you’re probably right, but I wanted to get something robust that (hopefully) wouldn’t fall apart anytime soon, and would also let me experiment with smoothies/ice/whatever if I wanted to :slight_smile: Also when I got it it was only £35.84, weird!

Yay, my powders got here too :slight_smile: So I’ve made my first batch. Yeah, I can pretty much echo everything you just said. Pretty much tastes like slightly salty oatmeal. Which is ok; I like oatmeal :slight_smile:

Thinking about what I like on oatmeal, I added a bit of cinnamon (good call) and a teeeeeny bit of sucralose. Holy smokes that stuff is sweet. As soon as I open the sucralose package, I can taste it on my lips! I’m definitely going to need a better way to measure it than a few grains in my smallest measuring spoon :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyhow, I didn’t even use a blender; I just put 1/3 of the powder in a 28 oz blender bottle with some water and shook it. It works great, and I can just shake it every so often to keep the oats in suspension.

Overall, it’s not bad. I was worried that the flavor would be really objectionable, but once I get the sucralose figured out I think it’ll be fine. The graininess is a bit disturbing, but if I chug it doesn’t bother me too much. And ideally my body will like soylent and will have a conversation with my tongue about appreciation… :grinning:

They sell different varieties of sucralose. One of them is granulated sucralose, which measures the same volume-wise as sugar. Or you could buy the sucralose packets and add portions of the packet to your mix.

I’m thinking that before I buy something else, I’ll try diluting the stuff I’ve got in some water. Maybe 1/4 tsp sucralose to 2 cups water or something, and just keep it in the fridge. Then I can simply add a set amount of liquid sweetener to my mix along with the oil. It might be a bit more manageable that way :smiley:

I’ve found that blending a batch of powder in the jug blender and leaving it in the fridge works pretty well in terms of ‘time saved’. Filling and blending takes a couple of minutes, making a new batch of powder for the next day takes 10 or so, and then every meal is just a case of pouring 1/3rd into a bottle, topping up with water if necessary, and shaking! Once I get a few more containers I’ll start mixing a couple of days at a time.

I’ve not found an especially attractive flavour combo yet, I had some with 20g of brown sugar (in lieu of 20g of maltodextrin) and sprinkle of cinnamon + nutmeg + vanilla last night that was OK, but not significantly better than having it plain. I really want to experiment with cocoa and honey in the future, and possibly ‘savoury’ flavourings (for some reason I really want to put fajita seasoning in there xD).

I may make a spreadsheet or something to try different flavour combos and track my preferences… for science.

If youre looking to change up the “taste” a bit you might want to try replacing some of your oat and maltodextrin with some palatinose + rice flour

Thats what i’ve got in my recipie (which is essentially similar to yours with a few minor extras)