I’ve spent a bit of time over the last few days playing with a recipe for Soylent, based to some degree on the ‘official’ mix, but with a few tweaks:
- slightly more protein/fat and slightly fewer carbs (approx. 50/25/25)
- 1:1 Omega 3:6 ratio
- Omega 6 no more than 4% of total calories (based on recommendations from here)
- Low sodium/potassium
At the moment I’m pretty happy with what I’ve come up with (although I’m concerned about the inadequacy of the nutrition facts for most products). My main thoughts are:
- I’m especially interested if anyone has experience of using cod liver oil in DIY recipes, and whether its as unpalatable as I can imagine it would be…
- Are the fat ratios sensible? I’ve found a lot of conflicting information about how much polyunsaturated fat should be used, and where the rest should come from.
- Whether 125g of whey is too much whey… should I add a different protein source for a bit of variety?
- Also my Vitamin A is pretty near the max (it was, for a time, some way above the max, I had to change to cod liver oil source to bring it down).
I’d really appreciate any thoughts/comments/suggestions anyone has!
Edit: oops, forgot to link: http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/oats-whey-n-maltodextrin
Edit: my latest revision has removed the cod liver oil because it was pushing my vitamin A into the danger zone. Flaxseed has been added as the replacement Omega 3 source, and conveniently provides another source for fibre and a few minerals.