Recipe critique, search for low manganese/iron carbs

Please have a look at my first recipe, it’s using Garden Of Life Raw Meal as a base as it has dried fruits and veggies for the vitamins, this way I can get away without synthetic Vitamins. I figured if we mix a soylent to improve life we might as well cut out industrial animal farming, so I’m trying a vegan mix with 1/3 hemp, pea, rice protein to get the correct ratio of the different aminos for a complete protein.

The trouble is the Raw Meal and Hemp protein both have insanely high numbers for manganese and iron, so adding carbs is tough business. Oat powder has too much manganese, masa harina too much iron … the values are still below the limit but I’d like to bring them down even more, any suggetions for low metal slow carbs?

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/now-you-eat-it-multi-carbs

I’ve the feeling each ingredient has more nutrients than is tracked so I like mixing many different ones together hoping to get more variety…

I’m keeping omega 6 low and omega 3 high to approach the suggested 2.3:1 ratio, also I’m only going to replace lunch and occasional dinners but keep eating breakfast (eggs, avocados, kiwis, bananas).

I’m missing a good iodine source but figured since I’m still doing some recreational eating I hopefully wouldn’t have to swallow kelp capsules …

Looking forward to feedback and suggestions!! Thanks alot!

Xanthan gum + corn starch works as a great complex carb source without the pesky micro overages. Xanthan gum is needed to smooth out the starchy/gritty texture. Taste is neutral.

Thanks for the tip, how much Xanthan Gum would you use? Can you point me to a recipe that includes it? In general I’m trying to stay away from processed ingredients that are not essential, I wonder if the oils I add to mine already cover the starchiness a bit …

What about

• Semolina
  • Farina
  • or just plain white flour

as carbs, is there a reason why I haven’t seen recipe around using one of those?

Glutenphobia, mostly. I’ve tried it, the taste is more bread-doughy but not unpleasant. Wheat flour also has a lot of manganese. A warm Farina porridge would probably be great.

I’m new to the ‘stay away from gluten’ idea, I keep extra gluten in the freezer since the flour here is so thin that it’s hard to make proper bread out of it, someone please explain it to me …

I got some corn starch and some tapioca starch along with it, will base tomorrows soylent on it, also swapped the pea/hemp/rice protein for whey just to give it a try, I still like the idea of keeping animals out of the soylent production chain…

Scanning through other recipes I see that many are too high in Iron and/or manganese, maybe I’m trying too hard and it’s not a problem? Still after just drinking one portion of it my body feels strangely bitter, not quite acidic but definitely strangely different than when eating normal food …

Corn starch is strongly inflamatory according to:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5697/2

Is that an issue and a good idea to make it basically my 100% carb?

Thanks for the feedback!

Glutanophobia (is that a real thing or just a neologism?) runs pretty high in suburbia.

Mostly it’s because of the rising awareness of Celiac’s and other diseases that actually have issues with gluten, combined with misinformation and poor self-diagnosis by other individuals who are too savvy to fall for some pseudoscience (homeopathy, anyone?), but not enough to avoid others.

But some people get headaches that they claim go away when they avoid gluten, so whatever.

Use gluten (incomplete protein). And soy also (complete) if you want. Actually, some people add in soy flour into dough - it has the same purpose and function as gluten.

Thanks, that was very helpful!

Still wondering about the manganese/iron levels and inflammatory levels of corn starch …

I gave the cornstarch a shot, it’s not for me :smile:

Glutophobia has a better ring to it. Glutophobes, too :stuck_out_tongue:

Gluten isn’t an incomplete protein, but has low amounts of certain aminos that make it unsuitable for a sole source of proteins. Combined with oat flour, it easily fleshes out a recipe. The trouble is, gluten could be considered a “complex” protein, and is harder to digest than other proteins. Its stickiness which makes it appropriate for bread dough and the like is also what makes it slightly harder to digest, raw, than other proteins. Which is also the source of irritation and troubles people have with it. When consumed by a healthy adult, there shouldn’t be any trouble. 99% of the population should have no difficulty with gluten.

Inflammation data from nutritiondata.self.com is arbitrary and unscientific - there’s no scientific basis for inflammatory/anti-inflammatory ratings for those foods.

I am interested in the xanthan gum cornstarch mix. Recipe or amount?

You’ll need to experiment.

I thought maybe i would learn from your mistakes and perhaps save a bit of time and money. Already have so much invested in experimentation of soylent any little bit helps. Really just looking for like a base ratio to start with. Would a 50/50 mix of xantham/cor starch mix be an acceptable starting point for experimentation? I am waiting for my xantham, this is why i am asking insted of just trying.

Use a minimal amount of xanthan gum - something like a half teaspoon for every 250g. Make sure you use a blender for the full effect. Again, you’ll need to experiment, because the texture of your mix will differ greatly from other recipes, and you will err on the side of slimy and chalky or gritty. Rest assured, there’s a smooth middle ground once you find the right amount of xanthan gum.