Regarding Soylent Sodium Content

We are in the process of increasing the amount of sodium in official Soylent to 100% of the RDI.

The Nutrition Facts label is somewhat confusing. The FDA and IOM publish 2 levels of nutrient intake recommendations that can be understood as: adequate intake (RDI) and maximum intake (RDA). For cases where excess is an issue, such as saturated fat, sodium, and cholesterol, the maximum intake level is used, rather than adequate intake.

Sodium RDI for an adult male is 1500mg, while RDA is 2300mg. One day of Soylent has 1050mg of sodium, which is 70% of the RDI, and 45% of the RDA. Still, this is low.

During development our dietician recommended using sodium below 100% of RDI. The rationale was people are unlikely to use Soylent for 100% of their meals, and in the United States, those other meals were likely to have excess sodium, which would approximately balance out to 100%. Our adviser also expressed an opinion that the RDI levels used by the IOM and FDA were somewhat high, and that symptoms of low sodium would probably be negligible. Thus we ended up deciding on 70% of RDI.

It is now clear that we underestimated the consequences of this decision. Low sodium leads to trouble with water retention and in some cases, headaches and light-headedness. Additionally, it causes a craving for sodium, increasing the probability that the user will overuse sodium during their non-Soylent meals, defeating the purpose of undershooting sodium levels. Moreover, we have decided our goal of providing optimal nutrition should not be affected by imprecise assumptions regarding overall eating behavior. If the user consumes excess sodium for their non-Soylent meals that is their prerogative.

I would still like to express the importance of consuming water throughout the day in addition to Soylent.

I unfortunately do not have an exact timeline for when this formulation change will be shipping. Obviously an increase in sodium affects taste and we will have to design around it to avoid an overly salty taste. In the meantime, if you experience symptoms of low sodium, you should add the complementary 450mg yourself. That is 1.145g non-iodized table salt, or approximately 45 grains (source wolfram).

This change is entirely due to the feedback we have received here on these forums. Thank you for talking. We’re listening.

How are you faring on 100% soylent?
Chloride from tap water?
Let's be honest: Soylent 1.0 has problems for many people
Let's be honest: Soylent 1.0 has problems for many people
Request: Update soylent.me/#prep w/salt information

Thanks Rob! :slight_smile: Awesome to hear.

Thanks Rob! Now just get those gluten-free oats and you’ll have my monthly subscription! :smiley:

Good to hear your tweaking the recipe as soon as possible :smiley: you are the MAN!

Good news! How about the gas issue? Are you guys working on that?

Thank you!

Personally, I’m glad to know you’re listening. I’d really like it if you (the plural, Rosa Labs, you) were also talking more, like you did before the 2014 Spring communication wall went up. :wink:

For those that don’t want to find a conversion from g to standard kitchen measurements, that’s just under 1/4 tsp. ( http://www.traditionaloven.com/culinary-arts/cooking/table-salt/convert-tea-spoon-tsp-to-milligram-mg.html )

So long as the packaging has the updated amount listed, we can check. Is this something you can update with RFI mid manufacturing?

Official Soylent vs. Spaceman's 100%FOOD

Yeah I wouldn’t want to hijack the Sodium thread to talk about gas :slight_smile: but I do agree a second post from rob about the gas wouldn’t hurt. Just what their thoughts is on causes and potential fixes they have in mind?

@rob, So does this change increment the version to 1.1 ?

Yes! They’re listening! :smiley:

I’m very glad to hear this. I have not received mine yet but I was concerned about the comments from others regarding the sodium.

I work as a zookeeper in Florida, outside all the day long. So I was anticipating that the sodium in Soylent would be far too low for me if it was too low for others.

Oh damn, no wonder my Soylent tastes weird now… I saw people mentioning adding 1tsp so I just put that in a batch this morning. I’m not wild about the taste. 1/4 would probably be a lot better… gonna try that next. Thanks!!

I am not lucky enough to have my Soylent yet so I can’t vouch for the taste. Hopefully it helps.

wow yeah no wonder :smiley: if I read correctly, even 1 tsp is about 5~ grams of salt or 5.69 grams according to this site http://convert-to.com/456/table-salt-amounts-converter.html

Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but isn’t iodized salt better for you? Or should we add non-iodized salt as there’s potassium iodide in the mix already and adding iodized salt would mean too much iodine? Sorry for being totally crap at this nutrition thing!

Here’s the conversion for the amount Rob said to add:

Amount : 1.145 gram (g)
Equals  : 0.20 teaspoon (tea.sp)
Fraction : 1/5 teaspoon (tea.sp)

I can’t find 1/5 teaspoons, but here’s the cheapest 1/4, close enough:
http://amzn.com/B000BQKVQ6

yeah there is already plenty of Iodine 57% per serving… so non-iodized salt "only"
edit’ed

In the vernacular, the amount of table salt with which a day’s worth of Soylent 1.0 might be supplemented is a scant quarter-teaspoon.

A couple more thoughts on sodium content in complete-nutrition products. As I’ve posted in other threads, I am a heavy consumer of Ensure Plus, looking forward to Soylent as a better option because Ensure is very high in table sugar. Ensure Plus is lower than the RDI for sodium (2100 calories of the product contains ~ 1100-1300 mg of sodium, depending on the flavor). When I am on it as sole-source nutrition, I need to supplement with table salt to avoid symptoms of ill health.

Ensure “can” be used as sole source nutrition, it is designed as such. However, the average consumer for Ensure is not healthy adults wanting a product that provides full nutrition; it’s ill or geriatric patients who are unable to consume and/or absorb enough regular food to get the nutrition they need. Particularly, Ensure is used in hospitals for tube feeding.

Now, patients who need to receive nutrition through a tube going up their nose and down their throat, are probably also going to be receiving IV fluids. Those IV fluids contain saline (sodium chloride, i.e. table salt).

So, one might wonder why a product like Ensure, which has been decades in development and refinement, and likely has had many millions of $$$ in R&D, contains lower than the RDI for sodium. The answer is that Ensure is not designed as sole-source nutrition for healthy adults. It is primarily designed for supplemental nutrition for people who can’t get enough nourishment from whole food (who will get additional sodium from what food they do consume), and as sole-source for invalids who are receiving supplemental salt by IV.

This reinforces the thesis that a product like Soylent, which is designed to be sole-source nutrition for healthy adults, needs to contain 100% of the RDI of sodium.

No new info here, just sheds some light on why Ensure contains the low amount of sodium it does, and why that low amount of sodium doesn’t work for Soylent.

Don’t you mean non iodized salt only?