Request Help/Review of Ketogenic Recipe

Please see my soylent recipe here: Jeff’s Soylent Recipe

I am shooting for a macro balance of 60% fat, 5% carb, and 35% protein. It’s just starting to take shape.

Macro                   Target	Recipe      
Calories (kcal)	        1645    1605	98%
Carbohydrates (g)	    20.6	47.8	232%  (20g optifiber)
Protein (g)	            143.9	73.03	51%
Fat (g)	                109.7	127.99	117%

I used iifym.com to compute a ketogenic plan for a sedentary computer geek. :smile:

Things that may be/are issues:

• Calories are low at 1645.
  • Magnesium is at 416mg. Is that ok or high?
  • Protein level low @ 73g ?

Should the protein amount be 143g as the IIFYM calculator suggests?I believe I need another protein source to up the protein amount…

Going to start the potassium much lower and work up as the hacker school recipe suggested.

Thank you’s to everyone on the forum, been mostly lurking for a few months, reading everyone’s posts.
Thanks to @nickp for the make soylent website here
Thanks to @nwthomas for earlier suggestions.

Really appreciate the posts @J_Jeffrey_Bragg, @bigepidemic, @CuriousBen, @cameronmalek, @JosephK, @chris and many others,

I think Ketogenic soylent recipe’s are extremely interesting given that its seems more difficult to manage a normal ketogenic diet over a normal diet. Thus, ketogenic soylent would make attempting ketogenic diets far more accessible. I don’t have advice to add, but please keep us updated.

The magnesium is fine; that nutrient profile is slightly wrong. The DRI’s treatment of magnesium is slightly weird; search “magnesium DRI” for previous discussions on this if you are curious.

If you’re trying to get into ketosis, then your diet should actually be adequate-protein, not high-protein. The reason is that if protein is abundant, then your liver will use it to synthesize a bunch of glucose, instead of using fat to synthesize ketone bodies. I’m on a ketogenic diet right now, and my soylent has 80g protein. But that might be a little on the high end; as low as 50g will suffice (for a person who doesn’t exercise).

After you add the tiny amount of carb and the adequate amount of protein, you fill in all the rest of the calories with fat. This ends up being a ton of fat, and that’s OK.

It looks like you don’t need any further guidance on your micros. So if you leave the protein where it is and increase the fat until you’re getting enough calories, you should be good to go!

This is all assuming, of course, that you’re actually trying to go into ketosis. If you’re not and what you actually want is that macronutrient breakdown you described, then it’ll be a somewhat different story.

I am hopeful that entering ketosis with soylent will decrease the symptoms that accompany the changeover to the body burning ketones for energy instead of glucose.

I created a test batch last night and it was not bad. I made it the consistency of pudding. Next, I will add a lot more water to make it drinkable, like the majority of folks on this forum.

My plan today is to have soylent for breakfast, then a low carb lunch and dinner. I’ll keep you updated.

@J_Jeffrey_Bragg - I miss oats. I don’t suppose you have a magical version of real food’s soylent that include oats with the carb content low… (Just Kidding) :wink:

Thanks Nick. I’ll do some some reading about magnesium. My understanding is not to go over 350mg in supplement form.

I am finishing up the book “How We Get Fat” by Gary Taubes now. I read the book because several people on this forum were recommending it.

I noticed that you added cinnamon to your mix? How do you like the taste?

I noticed that you added cinnamon to your mix? How do you like the taste?

I think it improved it, but honestly I don’t really notice it any more. I just get used to my soylent mix such that it no longer tastes like anything.

Glad to be of help, also, you have summoned me with the shoutout! :wink:

As it turns out, the so called ketoflu is not from an adaptation of ketones in favor of glucose, it’s from lowered sodium. Supplement sodium a bit and you will not experience deleterious transitional symptoms.

Thus salt is a critically important nutrient for athletes, and this is
especially true on a low carbohydrate diet. When carbohydrates are
restricted the body changes from retaining both water and salt to
discarding them. Because of this fundamental shift in mineral
management, it’s not uncommon for people to lose 4-5 pounds of water
weight during the first week of a low carbohydrate diet. Typically,
only half of that first week’s weight loss is from fat and the other
half is due to salt loss along with its associated water. If some of
that salt is not replaced, however, blood flow may be impaired and the
body over-reacts in its quest for salt. This primarily happens in the
kidneys, which try to compensate by wasting potassium (i.e., kidney
cells give up potassium in exchange for retaining sodium), leading to
a negative potassium balance.

What does all this mean? The loss of water and salt can reduce plasma
volume and make you feel sluggish and compromise your ability to
perform outdoors in the heat or in the weight room. As a result, some
people get headaches and feel faint. This state of salt depletion
causes a compensatory loss of potassium, which has a negative impact
on muscle mass since potassium is a necessary co-factor in building
and maintaining skeletal muscle. The easy solution is to routinely
take 1-2 grams of sodium per day in the form of 2 bouillon cubes (or
home-made broth). Some bouillon cubes contain less than 1 gram sodium
so be sure to check. On days that you exercise, be sure to take one
dose of broth or bouillon 30 minutes before your workout.

Phinney, Stephen; Volek, Jeff (2012-06-15). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance (pp. 80-81). Beyond Obesity LLC. Kindle Edition.

Thanks @nwthomas and @chris! I have adjusted the sodium amount up just a little to a total of 2g.

I tried a serving both yesterday morning and last night for dinner. Morning was great as I did not get hungry before lunchtime at all. I adjusted for taste last night (removed coconut sugar, added stevia) and it was easy to drink. There was not enough coconut sugar to really taste, I felt like it was a wasted carb source. The stevia made it a little easier to drink.

The main side effect I noticed was dehydration yesterday evening. I have been drinking more water so this did concern me. I am wondering if the amount of each oil (55ml each for olive oil and grapeseed oil) is too much.

I heard somewhere that too much protein can interrupt or make the ketosis process harder to achieve/maintain. Has anyone else heard that, and can they back it up with evidence?

I’m aiming for 0.6 to 1 gram protein per pound of lean body mass, which you can calculate with (1 - body_fat_percentage) * weight

In my first week (or maybe the last half and half into the second) I became extremely thirsty. I drank water like never before, and I was already one to drink my fair amount for a day. This will eventually pass, after maybe 7 days or so (perhaps it was less), I don’t quit remember my own timeline.

Too much protein is converted into glucose through the process of gluconeogenesis, so yes, it does happen. That’s why a low-carbohydrate / ketosis diet recommends “adequate” protein, low carb, and high fat (though while losing weight high fat isn’t particularly necessary, but down the road when maintaining weight it’s meant to replace the calories from carbohydrates).

Thanks for the input Cameron. I’m going to make use of that formula. :smiley: It will help to refine the amount of protein to add.

Thanks for the timeline Chris. We will keep it in mind. So far, things are going well. Weight loss is good and we both feel decent. The conversion process is not to bad so far…